Losing your Accent

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Getting away if we can, from all the Drugs and Killing things and all that seems to be Headline news each day and well covered here in recent Topics, lets talk about Us for a short while. (The Foreigner) my wife moaned at me the other day because she said she has a problem Understanding my Accent Lately and it gives cause for not answering something I had asked. sometimes leading to small quarrels that could grow if not checked.

Now, I have noticed that as I am sure many will, The Scots, the Welsh, those from a fairly strong Accent Country, US, Canada, Aus, NZ + those with English as a First Language never seem to loose their Birth, Accent. In that I mean where they grew up. Just Lately and some will tell me within 50 Miles of where I come from in England. After 20+ years of Service and many Places I have lived over the Years, My mid England Accent got Knocked out of me, After some people tell me OH! you don't sound a Southern man ( Which I am not) but the Accent I had was not too well liked in the Job I did so it kind off got rounded off to an accent that was understood.

Recently I was watching a short video of me and the Dogs and I was surprised that now at 68+ I have slipped into me early years Accent. It just did not sound like me at all, so we did some takes and sure enough, I can see now where my Wife sometimes just does not hear the voice she has known all these years. 

So, Sat here this morning I am wondering if Anyone else has noticed this in their Accents?:89:

Better for me if there are as I don't like to be the Odd man out all the times :whistling:

Sorry if this is sounding a little boring But if some are having little quarrels over Questions not understood by the SO and they don't know why, maybe this could be a reason.

On the other hand, it may explain why the Dogs take more notice of me than others in the House when Spoken to.

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Toooooooooooo many ooooooooooos
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There is such a thing as lazy speech, or lazy tongue.  It is a syndrome that affects the tongue for various reasons and can cause others to think you have an accent.  Or, some people know how to enunciate properly but occasionally fade into lazy speech which sounds like an accent at times.  Both filipinas I have spent years living with have developed this habit over time.  They know how to make themselves understood but tend to slur words together and then get mad when I don't understand what they said.

Could it be that you are a victim of lazy speech, JP?  

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

One nephew picked up a southern accent after living in the deep south (USA)

One sister picked up a New Jersey accent after being married to her husband from New Joisy.

I picked up "trash talk" from my childhood.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am from Miami. I sometimes record for various work related things. When I hear myself, my accent strikes me. I speak perfect English, (I write in this beautiful language for a living) but it's got that Miami Cuban-American sound, and even a couple of decades' absence doesn't scrub it out. But other people don't seem to notice it....

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I speak perfect English,

"WOW"Now! what is Perfect English? Most of us do think our English is perfect but we have to Define Perfect

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

"WOW"Now! what is Perfect English? Most of us do think our English is perfect but we have to Define Perfect

Haha! I guess I am speaking from an American perspective. So I guess I should qualify a bit next time.

Anyway, American English is the one with the most native speakers...so the rest of you can stuff it. :hystery:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I speak perfect English,

I'm sure you mean "perfect American".

The Brits are the ones who speak English whether perfect or imperfect.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Didja ever see the movie "My Fair Lady" where the rich guy tried to teach  a street girl "perfect English"

"The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains"

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

"The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plains"

You Got it By George I think you have Got it :whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
COS!
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

You Got it By George I think you have Got it

You bein' from Spain 'n awl, Oy'd think you knew wot:  Spanish rain does not actually stay mainly in the plain. It falls mainly in the northern mountains

• Like 4