Posted
Posted

Enjoy.jpg So maybe S EX Y.jpg is in order :hystery:  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Lack of positive response is often a negative response so your answer seems to be no.  But I am worried about you.  In all seriousness, could this be a speech problem related to your previous stroke?  Perhaps a check up is in order?

You see, it takes a serious Post to get a serious answer to an issue that could be serious, Sorry for my little Outburst but I worry for me as well and No man is an island, whatever Perfect language any of us Speak. All we can do is ask for help from Whoever is listening. :console:

Wouldn't want Lille ole Jack to end up like this would we?Divided.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
forgot the picture
  • Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't have an accent - everyone else does. :chickendance:

However to be boringly serious, I believe I still have the same accent as I had when I became an expatriate nearly four decades ago. In my case it is not a regional accent it is what is now called RP (received pronunciation). Or as it was once called: BBC English. That was the pronunciation my family used, the one that we were encouraged to use at school and the one I heard on the radio (my father would not let a TV into the house). I think one reason I have retained it is I have spent most of my time living among non-native English speakers. 

As soon as non-Brits meet me they say they can tell I'm English. Brits just say "You must come from somewhere posh".

Edited by not so old china hand
correcting typos
  • Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Reboot said:

Haha! I guess I am speaking from an American perspective. So I guess I should qualify a bit next time.

Anyway, American English is the one with the most native speakers...so the rest of you can stuff it. :hystery:

If you notice if you have traveled the country (USA), you will see that many speak English with their local accent. Texans, Brooklyn, Midwesterners,Southerners, and I suppose west coast accent, (mine).

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I just wish people could get the difference between "lose" and "loose".

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Well one must say that one was an army brat what what for some time.  Having traveled most of ones life and not putting down roots for more than maximum 5 years in any one place......one does not have a strong accent.  One just sounds jolly english what what.

Spiffing

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

to stay on Topic with me and answer, "Have you lost or are you losing your Accent"

Nope, I don't think so.:89:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DavidK said:

I just wish people could get the difference between "lose" and "loose".

And me, I just wish people would get the difference between would and could. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And me, I just wish people would get the difference between would and could. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

I would if I could and I probably should... knock on wood. There are too many words that sound the same but have least two different spellings to name them all.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

If you notice if you have traveled the country (USA), you will see that many speak English with their local accent. Texans, Brooklyn, Midwesterners,Southerners, and I suppose west coast accent, (mine).

And then there's "broadcast English." Something like what you will hear in Ohio, and a lot of places out West. California too. It's as close as it gets to "no accent" standard American English.

I live in Florida. Half the state comes from out of state. On a daily basis I hear everything ranging from Southern, Midwestern, to Boston and NYC.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2