Timmy's in PH

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Singaporean brewed-in-a-sock kopi with condensed milk for me. You can stand a spoon up in it it's so thick. Perfect way to start the day as you meet at 5.30am on a Sunday for a golf outing. I've tried Philippine coffee in my percolator, pretty good actually, which reminds me I need to buy some more.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

Don't they grow coffee over there? They sure have the climate for it.

Monks Blend coffee

I also remember Fr. Adag Columbano, who I first met in Davao last year at a Davao Chamber of Commerce event. We both were speakers on the hot topic of coffee, along with Joji Pantoja of Coffee for Peace. Fr. Columbano suddenly appears at our table this Sunday and we take the customary group photos. But as most of the crowd were already trooping out after their meals, Fr. Columbano decides to “descend” upon our table and joins us for more coffee.

And he tells us the Monks Blend story. Fr. Columbano started the brand after he planted coffee trees within the monastery grounds. Fate made him meet Emil Baens, a Belgian who ran the Impasugong Milling Company back in the 1980s. Emil became Fr. Columbano’s teacher and mentor in coffee roasting and soon, Baens turned over the equipment to the monks. Today, Baens’ memory lives on as Fr. Columbano wistfully recalls how he and Baens tasted different coffee blends and finally got the blend right for what we now call Monks Blend coffee – a mix of Arabica and Robusta beans found on the foothills of Mt. Kitanglad.

In coffee parlance, Monks Blend is a mix of Naturals – coffee cherries dried by the hot Bukidnon sun – milled and then perfectly roasted using German Probat roasters. It combines the punch of Robusta with Arabica’s fragrant aroma. Today, Monks Blend can be ordered straight from the monastery or bought in supermarkets in Mindanao.

Fr. Columbano sure knows his coffee. He buys the coffee – Robusta and Arabica – from the farmers around Bukidnon, mixes his own coffee harvest, sorts the coffee beans by hand (women do this and are paid by the sack) and prepares them for roasting. He then asked Design Center Philippines to help him design the packaging of Monks Blend, for free.

Besides coffee, they also roast peanuts, a favorite of many tourists, in the third roaster. The other two bigger roasters (both German in origin) are used only for coffee.  He has the business model working and it has been successful for the past 20 years. He sells the coffee at a very affordable price (less than P400/kilo or P4 per cup equivalent) so all classes of society may be able to afford it, he says.

http://www.philstar.com/starweek-magazine/2015/03/15/1433623/sunday-monks

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Reboot said:

I'll have to try it sometime. How do they make it? Is it drip coffee? 

It's thicker. More like Turkish coffee.

Boil up about 2 cups of water, 300 ml. As it boils add 3 spoons of the ground coffee. Add sugar at the same time. Remove from the boil and return it to boiling 3 times. Immediately transfer to small cups, avoiding to pour the sediment into the cup. Start sipping that after 5 mins. It's like a super expresso.

• Like 3

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Reboot said:

I've been to Canada more than a few times, and Timmy's is not bad, I could drink it every day, but it's nothing to go nuts about, either. I've had better coffee brewed in a sock in a South American slum. No offense folks. Just me. 

Panty hose maybe, sock I doubt it. Personally I like my Costa Rican Coffee.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Tim Horton's, yes, they are ok, but it's mostly convenience. They are all over Michigan and they have a drive though window.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2016 at 0:35 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

On our Bali vacation, "Y" insists that I try their cat shit coffee.  Anyone else done that?  I may just try it when we get there.

Dave, just come to Davao...  We have locally grown and pooped Civet Coffee here...  And it still tastes like cat droppings...

:mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I figured Timmie's would be here sooner or later now that BurgerKing is back...  Tim's and BK merged a few years back and the head office is in Canada now... With mostly the old Tim Hortons executives in charge...

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

on my way to Timmy's now only drawback it is in Canada hahaha

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

the upside, there is a realllly cute Filipina that serves my coffee

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 2 September 2016 at 9:13 AM, Reboot said:

Don't they grow coffee over there? They sure have the climate for it.

Yes, we can buy Davao coffee at the local mall. I've not tried it. Maybe the coffee they serve at some coffee shops here is Davao coffee. I get imported at Gaisano. I like Don Francisco Colombian coffee. 

• Like 3