Timmy's in PH

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I have tried 2 brands of ground coffee, Baraco and Mabuhay. I like the Baraco at 200p/kilo. I even bring 2 kg back to Canada every year.  Filters here are expensive and rare. I asked at one store and they took me to styrofoam cups. I get my filters at Costco in a 600 pack. I drink my coffee black, no sugar nor cream so those 3 in 1s are out. I take our dog down to the river everyday and I get a cup of brewed for 7p but at the mall in Bacolod, it is around 50p at Belgium Wafflesor Bo's. The family here drinks Nescafe sachets with 3 tbsp of sugar. Everyday they make their coffee in the same size cup with the same measured sachet of Nescafe. They put 2 tbsps of sugar in, stir it, taste it, and then put 1 more tbsp of sugar. Everyday! I just don't understand.

Instant coffee is king here...but I was still able to get some real stuff at SM Hypermart. Real coffee is the one thing I really miss while here, gastronomically. I ake mine straight black too. The condo I rented has a drip coffee maker with a reusable screen filter...so I've been in business.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, jpbago said:

They say that the best CR coffee is exported. Have you been to a coffee farm tour? Quite nice.

I'll have to do that next time I am there. :thumbsup:

RBM
Posted
Posted

There are various beans available locally grown in Benguel province. We have them send us 3 different varieties which we roast and blend. S O  enjoys doing the different blends an me the tasting.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 11/3/2016 at 0:38 AM, Reboot said:

Instant coffee is king here...but I was still able to get some real stuff at SM Hypermart. Real coffee is the one thing I really miss while here, gastronomically. I ake mine straight black too. The condo I rented has a drip coffee maker with a reusable screen filter...so I've been in business.

One thing I noticed was that in the lowlands it was hard to find real coffee at restaurants. But up in the mountains there is more of a coffee culture with freshly brewed coffee. My wife's family grows coffee along with rice and general agriculture in the mountains. There is always a big thermos filled with freshly brewed coffee in their kitchen. As a coffee lover I really appreciate that when we visit.

• Like 1