Kadayawan Week was last week here in Davao.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It's week full of festivities and freshly harvested local fruit. My wife loves them.  There is the stinky DURIAN which people rave about.There is the LANZONES ( 2 kinds) . Then, there's the RAMBUTAN which I like. 

My favorites are still, bananas, pineapple, mango, pomelo and Fuji apples. 

Have any of you tried any of these exotic fruits?  Did you like them?  

I've been exposed to a lot of Filipino desserts and I have to admit, some of it is ok. I like HALO HALO. BUKO PANDAN is also very good. UBE is new to me. 

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

It's week full of festivities and freshly harvested local fruit. My wife loves them.  There is the stinky DURIAN which people rave about.There is the LANZONES ( 2 kinds) . Then, there's the RAMBUTAN which I like. 

My favorites are still, bananas, pineapple, mango, pomelo and Fuji apples. 

Have any of you tried any of these exotic fruits?  Did you like them?  

I've been exposed to a lot of Filipino desserts and I have to admit, some of it is ok. I like HALO HALO. BUKO PANDAN is also very good. UBE is new to me. 

My internet GF's town is having a big celeb next week. They celebrate it every year...it's the week of their town's patron saint. St. Nicholas of Tolentino. It sounds like they have a lot of fun. Curious to try HALO HALO one of these days. It sounds awful, but everyone who tries it says it's good.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Most Filipinos I have watched eat Halo-halo either pick the beans out or leave them in the dish.

I like Jackfruit but the seeds are too large, the meat too little and the price too high for what you get. I believe some Filipinos cook and eat the seeds. I heard a trick for making it easy to cut up Jackfruit, oil the knife blade with some cooking oil, the blade will not get sticky when cutting and will clean up easier.

Durian is ok, if you can't get past the smell, have someone else take the meat out outside your presence so you don't have to smell the stinky rind. Once again, seeds too big and comparatively expensive for what you get.

Guyabano (sp?) heart shaped spiky fruit, supposed to be good for many ailments, many small seeds but they are of a size I can swallow and add to my daily fiber intake. I think this fruit doesn't travel well because you can only find it to my knowledge at Whole Foods in the US even though it grows in S.A. also.

I like Mangosteen, at least as good a value as Jackfruit  or Durian not as messy or smelly.

I can take or leave Guava, mostly leave because of the seeds, I don't need that much fiber. The ones I had were not really sweet even though one I personally caught when it dropped off the tree on it's own. I didn't figure it could get much more ripe or sweet than that and it left me unimpressed. Maybe if they had a press like they do for dates to separate the seeds from the meat you could make jelly or a pie or something.

I like mango, the variety my neighbor used to give me they said are called camel mango (because they have a hump?). I tried to look them up but there are more than 1k variety of mango. I don't see the point of eating unripe green mango but I have seen many people do so.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Guava makes the best jam the world has ever seen. But you have to protect the fruit once they get close to ripeness because the fruit flies have a field day. Do they grow a fruit called "mamey" over there. I don't know if the name would be different. Makes amazing shakes and ice cream.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Reboot said:

My internet GF's town is having a big celeb next week. They celebrate it every year...it's the week of their town's patron saint. St. Nicholas of Tolentino. It sounds like they have a lot of fun. Curious to try HALO HALO one of these days. It sounds awful, but everyone who tries it says it's good.

I tried it. It's ok. The UBE was something new for me. Wife says its a root. Ube is the purple stuff in the Halo Halo.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

I don't see the point of eating unripe green mango but I have seen many people do so.

My wife loves the unripe mango slices.

I do not.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Reboot said:

Do they grow a fruit called "mamey" over there. I don't know if the name would be different

I don't know about mamey. Wife is not here to ask.

As for fruit flies, that's what they called a Mexican soccer team. 

I used to officiate soccer back in the states. 

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I don't know about mamey. Wife is not here to ask.

As for fruit flies, that's what they called a Mexican soccer team. 

I used to officiate soccer back in the states. 

An American who loves soccer?

You are a rare breed my friend. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

My wife loves the unripe mango slices.

I do not.

Did you try putting salt on it?  Strangely enough it makes the green mango taste a little bit sweet.

• Like 5

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Did you try putting salt on it?  Strangely enough it makes the green mango taste a little bit sweet.

Or salt and chili powder as a dip.

• Like 1