Thought you might like to see like to see my garden plant

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

My first encounter with Dama de Noche was at a resort in the Dominican Republic.  It has a very heady smell that my wife is allergic to!  So very strange that in the daytime, she'll pass the trees without changing her pace, but will just hold her breath and practically run down the corridor at night.  Actually, her reaction is not too severe, just a lot of sneezing and almost instant puffy eyes.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I've never heard of it but then I've never heard of a lot of exotic plants. I just observe and appreciate them. I have a rose garden back home in California with a lot of variety. I also have citrus trees but that's about it. 

I have thought about planting veggies here but that's about as far as it goes, just a thought.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing, I'll pass that along to my mother in law. :smile:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I have some jasmines that behave like that, and a gardenia....but that one died. 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

The flowers of this shrub as soon as night falls, will give off a most heady, sweet, exotic fragrance that fills the yard. As soon as morning comes, the flower fragrance just turns off like a switch.. Back again when night falls! Not much to look at during the day, but come nighttime, a very romantic and mysterious plant.

Queenie

Hmmm.......so by getting a whiff of this exotic fragrance, does one get affected by being active at night and dormant during the day?  You know.....like Dracula?  Speaking of dormant, I would like to order a bushel of ladies of the night.  I understand I have to pay extra for the exotic variety.  Cash on delivery OK?  Joke lang Miss Queenie!

Do you have any sampaguita plants?  I love the smell of jasmine.  I don't have much luck taking care of any plant.  I over love them -- meaning I either over water them, too much sun, too much shade, too much plant food, etc.  

Green thumb NOT -- respectfully Jake

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

20 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

The flowers of this shrub as soon as night falls, will give off a most heady, sweet, exotic fragrance that fills the yard. As soon as morning comes, the flower fragrance just turns off like a switch.. Back again when night falls! Not much to look at during the day, but come nighttime, a very romantic and mysterious plant.

Queenie

Hmmm.......so by getting a whiff of this exotic fragrance, does one get affected by being active at night and dormant during the day?  You know.....like Dracula?  Speaking of dormant, I would like to order a bushel of ladies of the night.  I understand I have to pay extra for the exotic variety.  Cash on delivery OK?  Joke lang Miss Queenie!

Do you have any sampaguita plants?  I love the smell of jasmine.  I don't have much luck taking care of any plant.  I over love them -- meaning I either over water them, too much sun, too much shade, too much plant food, etc.  

Green thumb NOT -- respectfully Jake

Just mysterious wandering around in the dark kind of thoughts Jake.- This plant is hard to come by I think..

Yes I have Sampaquita plants, now bushes climbing up the side of the house. You must know that sampaquita is the national flower of the Philippines. For me it's my favorite fragrance of all the jasmines. Dama De Noche can be a little cloying sweet, but sampaquita is pure heaven! I remember back in the day purchasing the sampaquita flower lays from children near Quiapo Church. Glad to have my own now in the garden.

Queenie

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, MacBubba said:

My first encounter with Dama de Noche was at a resort in the Dominican Republic.  It has a very heady smell that my wife is allergic to!  So very strange that in the daytime, she'll pass the trees without changing her pace, but will just hold her breath and practically run down the corridor at night.  Actually, her reaction is not too severe, just a lot of sneezing and almost instant puffy eyes.

The fragrance is very sweet and could be trouble for some I guess like your wife's allergy. The fascinating part is how that fragrance just disappears in the morning without a trace!

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Reboot said:

I have some jasmines that behave like that, and a gardenia....but that one died. 

This plant is also called night blooming jasmine, although it's a stronger, sweeter fragrance.. Gardenias are hard to grow. I've had off and on luck with them too. I love them too though...

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I've never heard of it but then I've never heard of a lot of exotic plants. I just observe and appreciate them. I have a rose garden back home in California with a lot of variety. I also have citrus trees but that's about it. 

I have thought about planting veggies here but that's about as far as it goes, just a thought.

A rose garden and citrus sounds pretty ambitious to me Greatfuled!  Roses in the larger sizes seem hard to grow here. I think that they like cooler climes.. You should try a garden I think you could enjoy it. Even potted plants are great.

• Like 4