Who likes their food Hot? (as in temperature) Not a Whinge Really, just my thoughts and maybe I am not alone

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hi Folks, I put this here because I am almost sure it is a Culture thing!

Having been invited, to a Birthday meal on Saturday I called into the host last Evening and cheekily asked, Hey Marion  can I have my food hot? ( Not Spicey but hot in Temperature) Hmmmmmm you funny people was her reply. She told me that the majority of Complaints from Foreigners is over the Temperature of the Served food ( She manages a Medium sized eatery)

Now I am almost sure that it is not just me or a UK thing but I like my meals Hot if they are Supposed to be a Hot meal. 2 weeks ago we had Lunch at a Friends House and Had the Wife's version on Roast Chicken & the Trimmings BUT and don't you just love the But's , It was all cold, YEP Mashed Potato, Veg and even the Chicken left to go cold So can I ask is it just me or are others of the same opinion, Roast Dinners (and/or whatever Fits the Bill) should be served Hot. I guess that the ladies here were never taught to do things our way But then food is cold to them! and of course, why should they be taught our way? but then again, We are a growing Number of Foreigners each Year with many Local Ladies marrying one of us so it is not as if it is all strange and that new especially when a known problem in many Resto's Is just this issue and even Gatherings where a few Foreigners are attending, OH! I know life ain't easy but I like to enjoy my food and when I can't eat what is put in front of me and go home Hungry sort of Spoils the Outing. Then I have to cook when I get Home having paid for something I could not eat. I don't mean this to sound like a Big Gripe but (once again) It has been on my mind some time now. We hear from many about Adapting and well in short I just wonder some days if anyone is ever going to Adapt to us. Not only that but Cold Food plays Havoc with my Digestion ( Unless it is a Salad of course) So G &G's Do we like our Food Hot when it should be? :whistling:

Jack :huh:

Morning All :th_thbarbaque:

Ps On Saturday I will be having a nice Shepherds Pie for my Meal ( HOT she tells me) Was I ashamed to ask? NO! Don't ask don't get:smile:

Just as an afterthought before I post, My Wife is now is starting to Understand why I don't attend Many Parties with her same old Food and Cold, Such is Life but............................:thumbsup:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not alone.png

7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

She told me that the majority of Complaints from Foreigners is over the Temperature of the Served food

Reminds me of a song

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole.

Then mend it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then mend it, dear Henry, dear Henry, mend it.

With what shall I mend it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With what shall I mend it, dear Liza, with what?

With a straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With a straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with a straw.

And on and on but the point is it drives me nuts too and if the lady is getting complaints she should fix it.  When Yvonne makes supper I used to complain about getting my food and having it eaten before she has finished preparing her own.  She fixed the problem.  Now she sticks my food on the counter to get cold until her own, hot food, is ready to eat.  You just can't fix the culture here.

Edit:  Yes, I now prepare a lot of my own food and eat it hot.  Then do my own dishes and my own laundry and wonder wtf I got a woman for because I am too old to get maximum enjoyment out of what you are all thinking :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  Rant over.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

if the lady is getting complaints she should fix it.

Apparently the Owner will be there on Saturday & they ( Husband & Wife both local) would love to talk to me about this issue so maybe if I get a few Gripes/ Suggestions  I can have some Idea of how I should play it out :thumbsup:

edit to say: Both have been OFW"s in Europe so it is not as if they have not come across this before I am sure

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm with you on this one. Jack. Yes, my wife doesn't mind eating cold food. She leaves cooked food out and I tell her that bacteria sets in if food is not refrigerated. If there is leftover food, it stays out. She is firm in her ways on this one altho she does eat hot food freshly cooked. 

Not a big problem because I cook my own food.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I too like cooked food served hot, I cook around 60% of the time and it is always served at the correct temperature. My SO has taken this on board and now we eat when it is cooked. The bug bear is the party where the food is inevitably cold when we are allowed to eat. Haven't managed to glean a satisfactory answer to why this is the case, as yet. Or, the reason why everything is overcooked, especially fish, succulent in texture appears to have no place in this culture, whereas dry and chewy is often the norm. Not ranting, just an honest appraisal from my taste buds!

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Not a big problem because I cook my own food.

I am beginning to think it is the only way to go. 

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I am beginning to think it is the only way to go. 

Exactly, have you ever known anyone to complain about their own food? :smile:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, virginprune said:

The bug bear is the party where the food is inevitably cold when we are allowed to eat.

Now, when have people up, we Do a Cold party style Buffet for us (The Foreign lads) and Azon does a couple of Dishes and of course the RICE for those that prefer that all I can say it is something to Think about

We even put Pizza on the Menu:mocking: a min or 2 in the Oven or Micro soon gets it right for Eating. I know we can't please all but To me there has to be a middle of the Road :thumbsup:

Tin Trays over Night candles is a way to go as well, 2 sizes, Smaller one at Bottom with water in and a slightly larger one on top or even the proper food warmers, Where there is a will there has to be a way:whistling:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Exactly, have you ever known anyone to complain about their own food? :smile:

Only me :hystery: Sometimes I get it right and Others welllllllllllllllllllll :censored.png

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Now, when have people up, we Do a Cold party style Buffet for us (The Foreign lads) and Azon does a couple of Dishes and of course the RICE for those that prefer that all I can say it is something to Think about

We even put Pizza on the Menu:mocking: a min or 2 in the Oven or Micro soon gets it right for Eating. I know we can't please all but To me there has to be a middle of the Road :thumbsup:

Tin Trays over Night candles is a way to go as well, 2 sizes, Smaller one at Bottom with water in and a slightly larger one on top or even the proper food warmers, Where there is a will there has to be a way:whistling:

I was meaning other people's parties! When people come to us we serve the food hot, it is up to the guests when they wish to eat it. When foreign friends are over we all tend to eat while the foods hot and then get back on to serious beer drinking, we always have snackie type things as well like lumpia and stuff for picking at. Don't do pizza, not very fond of it really, glorified cheese on toast.

• Like 1