Who likes their food Hot? (as in temperature) Not a Whinge Really, just my thoughts and maybe I am not alone

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, virginprune said:

I was meaning other people's parties!

Ah well not a lot we can do about that I guess it is what it is But this was the point of the Topic, I like these people and really want to go but I would not have enjoyed it as I just know what it would have been like, so Tongue in Cheek I asked.

I guess "DH" is right we are never going to change the Culture and we are wrong to try but to go to a party and just know it will not be to my Liking is not me. So "Bull by the Horns" now I can go and enjoy,

I find it crazy to Invite people @ 6.30 & eat at 8.30+ Hmmmmmm For me I think it is part of the Culture to miss

having said that, I guess I could TAKE my own Doggy bag. :whistling: 

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I seem to have lucked out on this one for the most part. My wife cooks, always yummy, always hot, and we eat together. Perfect? Well yes until leftover time. Usually find a bowl upside-down on the pot or another bowl sitting on the counter. A couple months ago it was all the time, now it is about half the time as she has figured out the reason we have plastic containers with lids. She then prefers to heat up the leftovers after having been in the fridge. (rice seldom makes it out of the pot, and never into the fridge though)

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Hi Folks, I put this here because I am almost sure it is a Culture thing!

Having been invited, to a Birthday meal on Saturday I called into the host last Evening and cheekily asked, Hey Marion  can I have my food hot? ( Not Spicey but hot in Temperature) Hmmmmmm you funny people was her reply. She told me that the majority of Complaints from Foreigners is over the Temperature of the Served food ( She manages a Medium sized eatery)

Now I am almost sure that it is not just me or a UK thing but I like my meals Hot if they are Supposed to be a Hot meal. 2 weeks ago we had Lunch at a Friends House and Had the Wife's version on Roast Chicken & the Trimmings BUT and don't you just love the But's , It was all cold, YEP Mashed Potato, Veg and even the Chicken left to go cold So can I ask is it just me or are others of the same opinion, Roast Dinners (and/or whatever Fits the Bill) should be served Hot. I guess that the ladies here were never taught to do things our way But then food is cold to them! and of course, why should they be taught our way? but then again, We are a growing Number of Foreigners each Year with many Local Ladies marrying one of us so it is not as if it is all strange and that new especially when a known problem in many Resto's Is just this issue and even Gatherings where a few Foreigners are attending, OH! I know life ain't easy but I like to enjoy my food and when I can't eat what is put in front of me and go home Hungry sort of Spoils the Outing. Then I have to cook when I get Home having paid for something I could not eat. I don't mean this to sound like a Big Gripe but (once again) It has been on my mind some time now. We hear from many about Adapting and well in short I just wonder some days if anyone is ever going to Adapt to us. Not only that but Cold Food plays Havoc with my Digestion ( Unless it is a Salad of course) So G &G's Do we like our Food Hot when it should be? :whistling:

Jack :huh:

Morning All :th_thbarbaque:

Ps On Saturday I will be having a nice Shepherds Pie for my Meal ( HOT she tells me) Was I ashamed to ask? NO! Don't ask don't get:smile:

Just as an afterthought before I post, My Wife is now is starting to Understand why I don't attend Many Parties with her same old Food and Cold, Such is Life but............................:thumbsup:

WOW Jack, this sure brings back memories.  I remember after returning home after my firs visit to PI to meet my girlfriend.  One of the big questions was form my friends was how was the food.  I explained we had gone to several parties and dinners at family homes.  I told my friends the funny thing I noticed was all the usual foods we eat hot were served cold. And all the foods we served cold were served warm.  :hystery:.  I remember it all to well.  But I think they prepare the food and don't keep it warm or chilled,  just placed on the table until everyone is there and ready to eat.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Part of the problem is that there are usually a million different types of food and there is only a small 2 burner or, sometimes, a small oven to cook with...  Many of the ladies grew up used to eating food done this way...  And only the rich had refrigerators growing up...  When you've lived your whole life like this..?  Hmm...  Does this mean they have to change just because we came along..?

Sorry, guys..!  Just thought I'd look at it from their side as they have no one to defend them...  And, yes, I go through the same with my katabang...  :mocking:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, i am bob said:

And only the rich had refrigerators growing up

They also did not have microwaves but that does not stop "Y" from using ours . . . . . .  as a food storage cabinet to keep the ants off her food that she does not want to put in the ref :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, i am bob said:

your whole life like this..?  Hmm...  Does this mean they have to change just because we came along..?

Cooking(Indoors).jpg :hystery: if things Don't Change they will stay as they are.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Not much you can do at restaurants or parties - the food is what it is.  At home my wife knows I eat hot food hot, and cold food cold.  She does not care, about food temp herself. She will cook and then go take a shower or do laundry before eating. When we go to a carinderia you just prepare yourself for room temp food.

I was amused at Andok's (my favorite chicken here).  The one by my house (they closed!?) always ran out of chicken.  They would say '15 minutes, sir'.  I figured that was ok, at least it would come out hot... WRONG ha ha.  It comes out room temperature, so why did I have to wait for it?  I never once had hot chicken at Andok's. You would think they would have accidentally served it hot occasionally.

There are a lot of foods I just can barely eat cold. Rice an bihon are too starchy to be served cold.  They get so stiff they are difficult to eat. before a party I will usually have a good snack before leaving the house. Just in case.

I understand it, I don't complain about it much, but I don't have to like it :tiphat:

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Not much you can do at restaurants or parties - the food is what it is. 

I Totally Agree with you here Tim and I never wanted or meant to criticize The Filipino way of Doing things, it is just not for me.  

45 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

At home my wife knows I eat hot food hot, and cold food cold.

Ah! yes at Home it can be sorted but my main thing is if a Resto Advertises a Hot Dish I want it Hot or if I want it Hot then I just feel that this request be Honoured, I am Quite prepared to either Eat Mine First and wait for others meals to arrive or have mine Last as long as I get it Hot. I am a slow eater so for me, give me mine First as it would be a Special order as such and 9/10 times I will still be eating when others have Finished but at least I have had what I wanted and would be satisfied. To answer "Bob" No I don't want people to change just because we are here but we are (or At least I am )  and at the Request of HTMBO) gave her the Things she wanted to do more in the Kitchen with so please if it is meant to be Hot then Please let me have it Hot. Likewise in a Restaurant, If I order a meal that should be Hot I am sure they must/Should have the facility to provide this. As I said earlier I will talk to mine hosts on Saturday and ask a few Questions.

In no way was I ever dreaming of talking down to or About the way Local food is cooked or Served it is and always be a pet hate of mine. It is just me (and I feel many here) that just has a Fad about Food and it's Temperature on Serving and Eating :huh:

Edited by Jack Peterson
corrections
  • Like 3