While on the subject of food in the Philippines.

robert k
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Well Tim, I'm sure that Filipinos' would not be impressed with the unlimited coke--less room for rice!

Actually the drinks machine in a Taco Bell in Manila is self service and it appears to be one of the biggest draws.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have wondered about all the bakeries. I see them everywhere yet almost never see anyone serving bread?  We stop in them for merienda sometimes, but does not seem like it would be enough business to support them.

Maybe next time, bring our own pan de sal or whatever.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

Actually the drinks machine in a Taco Bell in Manila is self service and it appears to be one of the biggest draws.

Some places like S & R  and other restaurants have a drink dispenser with different sodas and tea. Unlimited but I'm sure the cost of the dinner includes the seemingly "free drinks".

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, robert k said:

Well I guess unlimited anything is a good thing!

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

So, I wonder why they do not serve nor offer bread in restaurants.  I would love  pan de sal with my food or even a sweet roll of some kind. 

I guess in this context "BYOB" would take on an entirely different meaning from the usual Bring Your Own ?" 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I guess in this context "BYOB" would take on an entirely different meaning from the usual Bring Your Own ?" 

Good one. Yes, BYOB, Bring your own bread. :smile:  I like that

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Some places like S & R  and other restaurants have a drink dispenser with different sodas and tea. Unlimited but I'm sure the cost of the dinner includes the seemingly "free drinks".

So, for a soda that you pay $2 for, take out $1.20 for indirect costs (60% load for indirect costs), then take out the 8.5 cents for cost of cup, lid, straw, ice etc. Now divide the $0.715 by the direct cost of the product i.e. 12 cents per cup. So, realistically restaurant loses money after 5 to 6 refills. Nov 13, 2011
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Well I guess unlimited anything is a good thing!

I was raised that everything in moderation was a good thing.  Unlimited anything contradicts that wisdom. :89:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

So, for a soda that you pay $2 for, take out $1.20 for indirect costs (60% load for indirect costs), then take out the 8.5 cents for cost of cup, lid, straw, ice etc. Now divide the $0.715 by the direct cost of the product i.e. 12 cents per cup. So, realistically restaurant loses money after 5 to 6 refills. Nov 13, 20

I suppose they make up for the small loss with volume and happy satisfied customers. 

That's how I feel. I like S & R pizza. I like Yakimix restaurant, too. Free sodas and tea.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was raised that everything in moderation was a good thing.  Unlimited anything contradicts that wisdom. :89:

Oh come on Dave--go unlimited! LOL

• Like 4