Philippine President & US President are equal

hocoa
Posted
Posted

Prior to the ASEAN gala on Wednesday... "President Obama I'm President Duterte. I never made that statement, you can check it out." Then Obama answered, "My men will talk to you". President Duterte said, "Okay".

I don't know, I feel like Obama is talking to his subordinates. If instead Obama answered, "My men will talk to your men", I would not feel insulted. President Duterte's answer is good (just "Okay"), and it's a good thing he did not lose his temper this time, otherwise he might say "I'm already talking to you, why should I talk to your men.".

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

What statement was he referring to?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Could you provide a link? Respectfully speaking I have no idea what you're talking about.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Folks, we do ask that you put a link to the source.  But in all fairness, the quote in the opening post is all over the news media so highlight and search the quote and here is the most recent and most prominent link:

http://time.com/4485272/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-obama-asean/

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hocoa said:

I feel like Obama is talking to his subordinates.

Whether we like it or not, there is hierarchy in this world.  The acknowledged leader of the free world is in a superior position to the leader of a country dependent on him for financial and military aid.  Its just life. If Duterete wanted to continue to pretend equality he would not have made the pseudo apology.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Whether we like it or not, there is hierarchy in this world.  The acknowledged leader of the free world is in a superior position to the leader of a country dependent on him for financial and military aid.  Its just life. If Duterete wanted to continue to pretend equality he would not have made the pseudo apology.

I agree. Equality can be measured in many ways. There is no way Duterte can compare himself on equal ground with President Obama, The Pope, or any world leader. 

He, Duterte is only president of a country. That's where their equality ends. Ok, maybe also in other insignificant areas. 

Duterte's reference to colonial times was an ignorant reference.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Philippine President & US President are equal"

They may be equal as men, but it ends there.

As heads of state there is a big difference.

Duterte could be a better man than the guy here in the USA, but he commands far fewer carrier strike groups, divisions, and nukes.

Between nations, the law that operates is the law of the jungle.

In Duterte's favor, as a man, it isn't hard to top the sad sack of shit currently residing in the White House.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Quote from the movie Road house (as close I can remember) Bouncer "What if they call my mama a whore?" Dalton "Is she?" - the point being - sticks and stones...

I can't explain why, but I have watched that movie on DVD so many times I can't count, but not recently.  I will have to dig it out.  I'm a fan of Sam Elliot too.

• Like 2

• Dave Hounddriver locked this topic