Marriage to a Filipina

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Correct. Neither my wife nor I attended any seminar.

Not necessarily correct. It depends on the municipality you get married in. Some require seminars, some don't, some depends on age... Check with the municipality for the correct answer for you. We both had to attend a full day of seminars, more paperwork would have been required if she was under 25.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Not necessarily correct. It depends on the municipality you get married in. Some require seminars, some don't, some depends on age... Check with the municipality for the correct answer for you. We both had to attend a full day of seminars, more paperwork would have been required if she was under 25.

Ok, correct in my case. I live in Davao City and we were married by a judge. There were four other couples besides us that were getting married same day same time one couple after another. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
On 13/09/2016 at 5:13 AM, Gratefuled said:

Correct. Neither my wife nor I attended any seminar.

I think you will find in smaller municipalities the City Hall will just sign it off. I think it is a requirement. We were sent to the government hospital to attend and the person was absent or on leave. Someone just took the papers and signed them off.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in Bacolod, it is required. As for age, I was 49, Myrlita was 53 back in 2007. When we got there, the instructor took our paperwork and just signed off on them saying you both obviously don't need my instruction. She invited us both to speak and offer advice to the other young couples. We were honored.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
Added more detail.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/12/2016 at 8:47 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Each municipality has their own checklist. Obtain the relevant checklist from the office of the one whose jurisdiction you plan to marry in.

In the case of Valencia (just outside of Dumaguete for those unfamiliar) a couple months ago, we both had to attend a marriage seminar after all other items on the checklist were complete. An entire day process, started with a questionnaire (what is love? how will you support your spouse? etc) then a couple briefings about love, what it means to be married, what it means to be a parent. Then a move to the police station for domestic violence briefing. Then lunch break, returning to hospital for briefings on Philhealth, insurance, birth control... 90% - 95% of which was in Visayan. You have to stay as at the end of each briefing you need to collect a signature from the speaker and turn back in to the office for issuance of the marriage license.  

Wow, sounds like a fun day out.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/17/2016 at 7:40 PM, chris49 said:

I think you will find in smaller municipalities the City Hall will just sign it off. I think it is a requirement. We were sent to the government hospital to attend and the person was absent or on leave. Someone just took the papers and signed them off.

Yes, they did that for us in Olongapo.  We had met the lady at the marriage license desk a few times for various things, so she knew we had been together for a while and she knew our charming daughter.

However, for my wife to get a new passport with my name, she has to attend that ridiculous seminar in Manila so they can warn her about the bad man she has been with for 5 years!  :hystery:

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, they did that for us in Olongapo.  We had met the lady at the marriage license desk a few times for various things, so she knew we had been together for a while and she knew our charming daughter.

However, for my wife to get a new passport with my name, she has to attend that ridiculous seminar in Manila so they can warn her about the bad man she has been with for 5 years!  :hystery:

Sounds like we were special for the marriage seminar, lucky enough to pick the one municipality (it sounds like) that not only required us to go, but it was an 8am - 4pm marathon.

As far as the passport CFO seminar, that is next. Taking a few days in Manila, her CFO seminar is this Wednesday and my 1st VA appointment is Thursday, then back to Duma Saturday. WooHoo!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Jack de Hoog
Posted
Posted

West Mindanao has many Muslims living there. I met my wife through Filipina Cupid dating Site.  Maybe check that out but beware of scammers

• Like 1