American Forces asked to leave the Southern Philippines

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It looks like Duterte is ramping things up with the good old USA. So far the only side that affects me is the Peso is dropping in value which as I'm buying a house with a one off payment will be seriously beneficial to me but putting this aside I feel for Americans living around those necks of the wood. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/12/philippine-president-duterte-says-he-wants-us-special-forces-out-of-mindanao.html

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

It looks like Duterte is ramping things up with the good old USA. So far the only side that affects me is the Peso is dropping in value which as I'm buying a house with a one off payment will be seriously beneficial to me but putting this aside I feel for Americans living around those necks of the wood. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/12/philippine-president-duterte-says-he-wants-us-special-forces-out-of-mindanao.html

Why? Those SF were not there to protect the Americans in the area, they were there to pass on expertise to the Philippine army. If the Philippine army has not got it by now, they probably never will. Besides, the terrorists always claim they were killed by the Americans, it might be good to see if the Philippine army can get some on their own or if a few US soldiers were holding the bulk of Mindanao themselves. This is one way to find out where the truth lay.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jon1 said:
As having been one of the members on those missions down there, I disagree with this article and sentiment. 

Triple LIKE Gunny!

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looking into it further and having listened to a few locals it appears that Duterte sees some of the recent uprisings being due to foreign personal being in so called Muslim areas. He highlighted if the ABUS see Americans whether they are black or white they will kill them or hold them for ransom. He's been showing the media pictures of women and children killed by Americans during the Bud Dajo massacre further stoking anti USA sentiment.

I think anyone that has spent time in the forces is aware of how different enemies react to certain countries military. No disrespect to any country's army but I've seen it where one country's army goes into an area and they're attacked left right and centre. Another country's army goes in and the enemy disappear. Even amongst the military we all have armies that if we had to rely on we'd not be happy. I'd even go as far as saying when I was serving if you found out certain regiments were your back up you'd think "sh@t".

I'm sure Duterte has enough contacts in the area to know that by talking down the USA he knows things might be stopped from escalating elsewhere in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure that when the News hits the states about how President Duterte feels about our troops here, there will be a reaction. Maybe something like "BRING OUR TROOPS HOME". Maybe, just maybe our troops will be more than willing to return home.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Every time he rests his right hand gently on his cheek and opens his mouth, I think-Oh dear Lord, what is he going to say now?! He's obviously cherry picking negative sentiment against the US since the Terrance Meiring incident in Davao years back. I just wish he could just let it go. He's having a tough time of it for now-that's for sure.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

According to President Duterte's behavior now and even before when he decided to run for president, he showed his hatred towards America and Americans. One reason he stated that he was going to run for president was that so the Philippines would not have an American president. He was referring to Grace Poe. 

Requesting the US troops to go home and leave the Philippines is another indication of his hatred towards the USA. His insults to President Obama is another indication. Then, his remarks directed towards the US Ambassador. 

What's next?  I wonder if he will request all Americans to leave the Philippines. I wonder if he will condone assaults against Americans by Philippine thugs. I wonder if he will start jailing Americans on trumped up charges related supposedly to drugs. It is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I've already told my wife that I am ready to go on a moments notice. 

Am I paranoid? No, but I am not foolish, either.

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

What's next?  I wonder if he will request all Americans to leave the Philippines.

"The special forces, they have to go. They have to go in Mindanao, there are many whites there, they have to go," he said, adding that he was reorienting the country's foreign policy. "I do not want a rift with America, but they have to go."

He says "there are many whites there, they have to go". This implies to me white expats. This doesn't bode well for Americans in the Philippines in general. This guy is a lunatic. The Chinese are flexing their muscles in the South China Seas and he is alienating the US? Who the hell does he think is going to protect the Philippines if the Chinese get more aggressive? They certainly cannot protect themselves. Why the Philippine people elected this guy is beyond me. If he thinks that eliminating drugs is the Philippines is going to fix all the problems here he is living in bizarre world. If there are Americans here on the fence about moving back to the US this guy is going to make their decision easy.    

• Like 3