Buying Gadgets and most other stuff online

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

But for anyone considering buying online from for example Lazeda.

lets say your interested in buying a new Tablet or Camera

a lot of the sellers do not show the full specifications.

I am looking to buy a Android Tablet and a CCTV system.

And I have discovered That the tablet I am interested in is made in China:hystery:

which as we know is where everything comes from !

I hope the Monitors dont think I am advertising as I am going to mention Alibaba !

This site showed me the full specs of the tablet and even had photos of the inside construction !

which surprised me and it was well made.

And the tablet is sold under many different brand names.

Another tablet supplier even has a factory video showing how they are made and tested.

• Like 3

GPJ
Posted
Posted

Last week I ordered a inflatable pillow for my Manila to LA flight at Christmas time from Lazada.  Three days later my pillow arrived at my house in San Pablo City, Laguna.  I had received a text that morning from Lazada telling me the pillow would arrive on that day and reminding me to have someone at home to receive the pillow and pay the COD charges.

I was very satisfied with the speed the order was processed and shipped, happy with the customer service of reminding me on the day of delivery.  In order to get to my house one needs to turn on an alley off one of the main streets of San Pablo City and my house is hidden behind an auto mechanic and a Chooks To Go.  If you do not know how to get here chances are you will not find it without asking the neighbors where the american lives.  We phoned the number on the delivery text and gave specific directions and no problem delivery was successful.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

What payment options are available. Can you pay with a US credit card? COD seems so 1970's.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

What payment options are available. Can you pay with a US credit card? COD seems so 1970's.

Yes you can pay with a US Credit Card. I've ordered alot from Lazada and they seem to be hit or miss, depending what you are ordering.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

But for anyone considering buying online from for example Lazeda.

lets say your interested in buying a new Tablet or Camera

a lot of the sellers do not show the full specifications.

I am looking to buy a Android Tablet and a CCTV system.

And I have discovered That the tablet I am interested in is made in China:hystery:

which as we know is where everything comes from !

I hope the Monitors dont think I am advertising as I am going to mention Alibaba !

This site showed me the full specs of the tablet and even had photos of the inside construction !

which surprised me and it was well made.

And the tablet is sold under many different brand names.

Another tablet supplier even has a factory video showing how they are made and tested.

Buying anything online here can be hit and miss. I have bought online several times and have had different results.One of the problems here is that some people will not ask directions and when they tex for directions they still get it wrong.Still not a really bad service for the price you pay.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Its hit and miss whether Customs slaps a huge tax on things coming from China.  I've had dozens of items shipped in using Alibaba's retail site AliExpress.  Usually they just slap the minimum fee of 112 pesos on it but if they sniff gadgets or electronics in the package they slap on some hefty fees.  Example, a camera:  Customs slaps on a V.A.T. of 12% based on what THEY think its worth, not what the declared value is.  Its up to you to go to Customs and prove its not worth what they say.

Lazada does that importing for you so keep that in mind when comparing value.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Has anyone had any experience ordering anything from US eBay? There are things I'd like to get, and I see that they have a new international shipping option, but not sure if one could get slapped with extra taxes or surcharges when the package arrives from the States. If anyone has experience with eBay, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know. Do you use PayPal US too to pay for purchases?

Thanks, Queenie

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Has anyone had any experience ordering anything from US eBay? There are things I'd like to get, and I see that they have a new international shipping option, but not sure if one could get slapped with extra taxes or surcharges when the package arrives from the States. If anyone has experience with eBay, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know. Do you use PayPal US too to pay for purchases?

Thanks, Queenie

Yes it would be subject to tariff/tax. I would definitely pay with dollars if you are buying from ebay US so you don't also get hit with the currency conversion fees.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

just to add further to this topic, basically anything you order from abroad will face the wrath of the customs guys !

I must add the fact that using lazeda a lot of the Electronics is shipped from china direct.

I never buy anything that states " This item is shipped from abroad "

As normally it pays to make sure that the seller is actually in the Philippines !

otherwise after the customs take their cut the item could cost twice the advertised price !

The cheap Tablet I was after was advertised at 2995 pesos and it was the latest model 16gb memory as well

I have bought a few things before from the seller and delivery has always been quick.

However if I go into too much detail it may be taken as advertising.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Yes it would be subject to tariff/tax. I would definitely pay with dollars if you are buying from ebay US so you don't also get hit with the currency conversion fees.

That was my plan Robert. Lets say the seller though, is willing to ship to me from the US--after I pay either the listed USPS shipping or Priority shipping listed, do you think that there will be an added fee when the item arrives at my post office?

Also, I used to have a PayPal account in the States, put it's closed by now. How can I get a new dollar PayPal account from here in the Philippines?

Anyone who wants to chime in here is welcome...