Cebu voted world’s worst place to be a driver

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I Don't drive anymore but Seems Cebu is number 1 (one) for something:

Driving Ha! seems a big Joke EH?

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/815435/cebu-voted-worlds-worst-place-to-be-a-driver

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t know if it is a joke. I lived in Cebu city and provinces for over 4 years and yes the driving leaves a lot to be desired.It seems much calmer and safer here.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I don`t know if it is a joke. I lived in Cebu city and provinces for over 4 years and yes the driving leaves a lot to be desired.It seems much calmer and safer here.

Odd you should say that me ole mate, Azon took tm to school at 6.45 this morning at what is normally a 20 min turn around became 35 min due to the heavy Build up from Taclobo turn off to the City, up from Asian College, Good there are short cuts if you know them but even Larena Drive was Chocked I reckon that many now leave early for the City & has caused even more problems.

Edited by Jack Peterson
just adding a little
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

I stand by earlier comments, one is far more likely to experience an accident, riding or driving in Dumaguete than Cebu. 

My comments based on extensive riding, driving in both.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well it ain't great that's for sure but I think there's worse (Dhaka springs to mind). I do seem to be coming across a lot of accidents recently and of course you ride a motorbike at your own peril. Some basic safety precautions (like a decent helmet and boots) wouldn't go amiss either. Neither would lights and indicators (and a lesson in how to use them) on many of the vehicles.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Driving in Cebu didn't look worst to me. The directions I got from natives, left a lot to be desired and added time and difficulty to my driving in Cebu but it still didn't qualify as worst to me. Opinions on how bad traffic are could be subjective, try asking a non-driver and opinions may be all over the map, ask a person who just got home from being stuck in traffic for 2 hours, probably worst traffic ever.

I had friends tell me Bacolod traffic was bad. I walked out into the middle of the wide street downtown at 11 am and took pictures both ways showing all 6 vehicles in about a mile. It gridlocked nicely at 12:30 pm. Pick your times if you can.

Someone who lives in Valencia on Negros tells all who will listen that Dumaguete traffic is not bad, because he only goes there after 8:00 pm. I mentioned that it's hard to get groceries at that hour and he says he doesn't go with those who buy the groceries.:hystery:

• 1 month later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 9/16/2016 at 0:02 AM, robert k said:

I had friends tell me Bacolod traffic was bad. I walked out into the middle of the wide street downtown at 11 am and took pictures both ways showing all 6 vehicles in about a mile. 

That must have been during the MassKara Festival when the streets were closed. It is normal for at least 6 vehicles to drive thru the barriers.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jpbago said:

That must have been during the MassKara Festival when the streets were closed. It is normal for at least 6 vehicles to drive thru the barriers.

The streets were not closed. I would post the picture but I don't put my photos online with photobucket or anything like that. It was slightly after 11 am and things did thicken up considerably around noon, but that is everywhere. Before noon most of the driving I saw was sensible, after noon and in the rush, the law of the jungle prevailed.

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

I do not know about driving in Cebu i live in Kalibo really the only bad thing is the tricycles and once in a while you get a car or truck but on the up and up not that bad compared to Thailand that is were they are nuts drive at night with no lights I think they like to play chicken what amazes me is that there are not more reckes   when they are passing  you better pull over as they are going to pass that car and do not care if they hit you head on   

robert k
Posted
Posted

I actually have seen motorcycles in the Philippines that have lights, not all of the lights of course, some have a headlight and some have a tail light. I saw a chain of motorcycle on the Valencia highway, the front one had a headlight only, the rear had a tail light only and the three between had no lights.

• Like 1