Crisp notes for exchange

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I know money changers in the Philippines wont exchange old, worn type notes but will they exchange almost new notes but with a crease in them from my wallet?  I have x amount good as new but damaged a few notes sort of across one corner so what say you? :tiphat:

Also tips on carry money in but to keep from creasing. 

intrepid
Posted
Posted

My experience is close.  When changing in the department stores and large grocery stores in the malls, they will not usually accept damaged bills.  No tape, writing on the bills and tears.  Also heave creases have been rejected.  However, at the pawn shops and money changers, I have never had a problem.  On my travels before moving, I always ordered new bills from the bank before the trip.  Of course YMMV.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I know money changers in the Philippines wont exchange old, worn type notes but will they exchange almost new notes but with a crease in them from my wallet?  I have x amount good as new but damaged a few notes sort of across one corner so what say you? :tiphat:

Also tips on carry money in but to keep from creasing. 

The smaller changers should/will take them. I got tired of having small denomination USD around and they were not close to mint and a changer who just had a stall was glad to get them at a good rate of exchange also.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found that the money changes deducted a few points if the bills were mildly creased or if they were smaller than $100 denomination.

If the bills are really crumpled, lay them on a dish drying towel.  Fold it over top of the bills.  Be sure they are as flat as you can get them and press it with a hot iron.  The bills come out pretty crisp.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Depending if you wear socks or not, (I usually do), I use a velcro strapped ankle wallet that wraps nicely and comfortably around my ankle (snatcher proof too) and it also "soft" folds my money-never had a problem exchanging.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's rather arbitrary we've found, and in the past, a bill that didn't fly at one place, was accepted  at another without question. Sometimes you can just try another place. It seems that Department store exchanges are the worst for rejecting creased bills. Even a minor imperfection could get rejected.

We never get questioned about any 100$ bills at any of the Forex exchangers. Also, once you open an account with a local bank, they'll get to know you and not be concerned about any creased bills.

We just usually carry bills inside a manila envelope placed in a satchel or carry bag.

Edited by Queenie O.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

It seems that Department store exchanges are the worst for rejecting creased bills. Even a minor imperfection could get rejected.

I guess that JGF was really talking about $Aus to change but to follow up on Queenies post. My wife just came back from our local Larger Sorry sorry with change that looked like it had been down a coalmine and in a pocket for days, I went down ad asked Hey man! my wife just bought using a crisp 1000 note and look at what you gave in Change, the 500 severely creased the 100's were just Dirty and not too many creases but the 50's and 20's :wow: he smiled and said but Sir, it is all money ( makes you think EH?) Anyway sir I would be more suspicious of crisp notes as these are more likely to be fake ( Again makes you think) My wife said the Girl Checked to 2/3 times then crossed it with the Fake money Finder pen I guess it is the Best Policy to not Crease new notes:smile:

Jack:shades:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

May I please Sir, just make a slight Digression here? Whilst a little off Topic but still on Money, maybe Tom, go to the money Changer like a Grafter just home from Work.

:89:  Money (Dirty hands.).jpg

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I guess that JGF was really talking about $Aus to change but to follow up on Queenies post. My wife just came back from our local Larger Sorry sorry with change that looked like it had been down a coalmine and in a pocket for days, I went down ad asked Hey man! my wife just bought using a crisp 1000 note and look at what you gave in Change, the 500 severely creased the 100's were just Dirty and not too many creases but the 50's and 20's :wow: he smiled and said but Sir, it is all money ( makes you think EH?) Anyway sir I would be more suspicious of crisp notes as these are more likely to be fake ( Again makes you think) My wife said the Girl Checked to 2/3 times then crossed it with the Fake money Finder pen I guess it is the Best Policy to not Crease new notes:smile:

Jack:shades:

Morning All:morning1:

I agree Jack--they don't follow the same rules when it comes to their own money! LOL  I love the crisp money if sometimes I get it, but you're right, it should be considered more suspect!

Out in the province most vendors and residents don't carry a vintage vinyl gold wallet like mine, but mostly their peso bills are folded into a tiny square, or jammed in a pants pocket or wrapped in and old dirty handkerchief! LOL

I guess as the man said, "it's all money" :smile: Enjoy it when you get some clean money--it goes so fast anyway..

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1