So, is this a scam?

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Today our power went off, just as I watching one of my favourite programs.

Mrs and I went outside as we normally do when we have a blackout (incorrectly called brownout here).

There was a Davao Light guy at our meter, he has removed the meter and was accussing us of tampering with our meter.

He said we have been stealing electricity and he has reported us, we will be prosecuted and subjected to a minimum 100,000 pesos fine.

WTF???

Mrs told him we need our power and he told her if we give him 1000 pesos he will re-connect our power and not report us.

Well, Mrs paid him the 1k and we spent the next 30 mins worried. But eventually we came to the thinking that it is all BS and we have been identified as having a foreigner in residence and are now a target for this kind of corruption.

I thought Davao was the safest city in the world? Well 800 people on numbeo and Duterte said so, so surely it must be true?

Do I need to move now? I dont want to because we both love this little house, it is falling apart but it is hidden, it is quiet, it has so far been safe.

We live a simple, uncomplicated life. We dont want trouble. Now I am starting to think, with all the killings, with all Mrs friends thinking and begging for money, with all that is going on that maybe we should even leave the Philippines.

I dont know, but what happened today was such a downer, I am tired of being shaken down, I have an ex thai wife with 2 kids, an ex Indo wife with 1 kid so I am used to shake downs, but not like what happened today...

Rant over

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a scam to me. Incidentally brownout and black out have different meanings so is not incorrect. 

So was this guy in a company vehicle or uniform and any identification? You have lost a 1000 peso but have learnt something so dont let it get to you. INMH 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You have lost a 1000 peso but have learnt something so dont let it get to you.

I too have always paid for my education!:Mad:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Cellphone camera the guy next time and say you are going to report him. As soon as he said 1K that should have been the clue, too little if there were any basis to his accusation.

• Like 2

Pangit
Posted
Posted

I know the difference between black and brownout JGF.

He was wearing a Davao Light shirt, he was on a motorcycle. He did have what seem to be correct seals for the meter, the orange seal that shows the meter has not been opened by anyone other than an official employee.

The thing is, he broke the seal and opened the meter without is witnessing it, so we were not in a position to say yay or nay if you know what I mean.

We were shaken up by the event so neither of us thought to question his credentials. He told us we hadnt paid our bill for 3 months, we pay our bills at the local Choicemart, so we were think choicemart had done wrong by us.

The guy said he will be back tomorrow to collect our 3 months worth of bills that are apparently due. It will be interesting to see if he actually does come.

Hahaha intrepid, this list of those who have had a free education is a lot shorter than the list we are on.

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted

Hey JGF, why does your post have a gold border?

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, robert k said:

Cellphone camera the guy next time and say you are going to report him. As soon as he said 1K that should have been the clue, too little if there were any basis to his accusation.

If he comes tomorrow I definately will rob. He and Mrs did the 1k discussion whilst I was inside the house, so I wasnt party to it. Plus she said he spoke camaio (not sure how it is spelt) which is her 1st language too so I wouldnt have known even if I was present.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Pangit said:

If he comes tomorrow I definately will rob. He and Mrs did the 1k discussion whilst I was inside the house, so I wasnt party to it. Plus she said he spoke camaio (not sure how it is spelt) which is her 1st language too so I wouldnt have known even if I was present.

I doubt you can get your money back but with his picture and telling him you can keep it from becoming a regular thing.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Pangit said:

Hey JGF, why does your post have a gold border?

Im special :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Pangit
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Im special :thumbsup:

Hahahaha.

which one are you?

Cheers mate. Thanks for lifting my spirits guys...

images-127.jpeg

• Like 3