I hope that local governments and residents take this to heart

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Jacques Cousteau's granddaughter Alexandra Cousteau was in the Philippines recently to talk about the dire need for protecting Tanon Strait and the oceans in general. There is often a disconnect here it seems between individuals and businesses and local and federal governments failing to protect the environment and what dire consequences will follow if it's not protected. I think that progress has been made in some areas, but change so far hasn't happened quickly enough.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/580780/scitech/alexandra-cousteau-puts-focus-on-phl-marine-biodiversity-hotspot-tanon-strait

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Jacques Cousteau's granddaughter Alexandra Cousteau was in the Philippines recently to talk about the dire need for protecting Tanon Strait and the oceans in general. There is often a disconnect here it seems between individuals and businesses and local and federal governments failing to protect the environment and what dire consequences will follow if it's not protected. I think that progress has been made in some areas, but change so far hasn't happened quickly enough.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/580780/scitech/alexandra-cousteau-puts-focus-on-phl-marine-biodiversity-hotspot-tanon-strait

I seem to remember a year or so back there was talk of drilling here. Perhaps the low prices stopped this.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

I seem to remember a year or so back there was talk of drilling here. Perhaps the low prices stopped this.

You're right--just out here in the Camotes Sea in 2010, a Japanese oil company was sizing up this area for possible oil reserves. We were still living in the US at the time, but I thought that was going to be a real problem. Off and on exploration in other areas continued. Blessedly, they didn't find any oil in this area, and for whatever reasons the Philippine government has since decided to ban future explorations.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

for whatever reasons the Philippine government has since decided to ban future explorations.

Is it possible they are worried that if oil is found the area will suddenly be taken over like the Spratleys?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

The area is going to be very productive of very light oils called condensates, think of them as naturally occurring gasoline that needs very little refining. The world is drowning in condensates already. The US is the #2 producer of oil in the world and yet the US imports roughly 88% as much oil as China usually heavier oil which is better for plastics, lubricants and so forth.

I think China is taking the long view with the China Sea islands. What is there right now is not commercially viable to produce but one day it will be very valuable.

If the Philippines had entered a partnership with an international company to produce those light oils, the Philippines could have become energy independent. Abundant, cheap energy is very helpful to economic growth. Too late now.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

There is still a good possibility that the Philippines may still suffer a hostile takeover by China.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

There is still a good possibility that the Philippines may still suffer a hostile takeover by China.

I would put Philippines on that last, for sure.  It would be somewhere behind Taiwan and Viet Nam I suppose.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

The only real thing holding China back from that now is the mutual defense treaty they have with the US. The problem lies with the current president/government here. Have a look at this scathing article from The Diplomat and the US Navy. If not very lucky or extremely careful there could be an event that might cause Washington to end that treaty. Heaven forbid as if that were to happen, China would be in here and take over within just a few weeks. That would cause a mass extermination of over 75% of locals as they would not comply with the new leaders. Most of the remainder would be used a slave labor for oil production and in refineries here in the Philippines. A very bad but I think realistic outlook without that defense treaty. Seems countries just don't learn from history.

Regards

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Nephi said:

The only real thing holding China back from that now is the mutual defense treaty they have with the US. The problem lies with the current president/government here. Have a look at this scathing article from The Diplomat and the US Navy. If not very lucky or extremely careful there could be an event that might cause Washington to end that treaty. Heaven forbid as if that were to happen, China would be in here and take over within just a few weeks. That would cause a mass extermination of over 75% of locals as they would not comply with the new leaders. Most of the remainder would be used a slave labor for oil production and in refineries here in the Philippines. A very bad but I think realistic outlook without that defense treaty. Seems countries just don't learn from history.

Regards

Nephi

Treaty or no, I don't think that can realistically happen. China doesn't have much of a navy and you can't do it all by air. Any country with a couple of submarines and the willingness to help could put a stop to the invasion.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Regards

Nephi

Oh come on!  I have to call you out on this.  Where are you getting this?

You are describing a world war scenario and genocide, within 2 weeks of ending the treaty.  This would be mass chaos worldwide as China would be immediately isolated from the civilized world.

75% exterminated?  The rest will be slaves?  What books are you reading?

• Like 5