Davao----------Cebu

RBM
Posted
Posted

We are just winding up another short stay in Davao, maybe useful for readers to have comparisons between the two popular cities. Certainly a novice in Davao,  have been here just 5 times, short stays although 2 were with motor cycle and had a couple weeks traveling over most of this vast spread out city.

First comment would be traffic, the flow is far better than Cebu, even with many check points. Very few smoke belcher's,  unlike Cebu, also drivers seem to be far more tolerant than Cebu, several times especially we have experienced cars slowing to allow us to cross.

Hotels seem to be about the same price, restarants appear to be more numerous in Cebu and far easier to get to (apart from rush hour) Going places like for example an attraction say 10KM away Davao wins for me hands down. The traffic in Cebu pretty much kills going far.

Air pollution to me is far better in Davao although not perfect.  Slower pace of life which I enjoy. It's said to be extremely safe, members living here could comment, I have had no bad experiences in either.

The isolation would be a consideration as I understand Davao airport caters only to Singapore for international flights.

The nature outside of Davao is outstanding, unlike Cebu quite easy to travel to although one needs time due to the sheer vastness of the area. If I had to consider, living in one or other even with very limited time in Davao it would be my choice.

Would be great to hear from ex pats residing g in one or other cities.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, RBM said:

It's said to be extremely safe,

Well was but then there was the bombing in the market last week so maybe not. I will be in Cebu next so will leave it awhile before commenting on the city. Last time I was in Davao I noticed it was a more livable city.  

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I've never been to Davao, although I'd like to visit Davao City some day. From looking at videos and reading accounts of Davao City, it does seem to be much less congested than here in Cebu, but it almost seems very old fashioned and more regimented than Cebu

If you're looking for a friendly, exciting city that has much to offer, I think that Cebu might better serve. Twenty minutes traveling out of the city will put you on pretty smooth provincial roads. I'm biased of course as I love Cebu, but these are only my perceptions.:smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Twenty minutes traveling out of the city will put you on pretty smooth provincial roads.

You are very lucky.  The only time, in recent years, that I have accomplished that in Cebu is at 4 am when traveling really fast to get out of the city before the morning traffic starts up.  At other times I have not been able to do as you suggest in less than a couple of hours driving.  You must have a secret.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are very lucky.  The only time, in recent years, that I have accomplished that in Cebu is at 4 am when traveling really fast to get out of the city before the morning traffic starts up.  At other times I have not been able to do as you suggest in less than a couple of hours driving.  You must have a secret.

Dave, I think Queenie is starting from the edge already and possibly driving in the 9:30 to 11:00 am lull. I did fine in Cebu traffic, it certainly wasn't pleasant though.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I've never been to Davao, although I'd like to visit Davao City some day. From looking at videos and reading accounts of Davao City, it does seem to be much less congested than here in Cebu, but it almost seems very old fashioned and more regimented than Cebu

If you're looking for a friendly, exciting city that has much to offer, I think that Cebu might better serve. Twenty minutes traveling out of the city will put you on pretty smooth provincial roads. I'm biased of course as I love Cebu, but these are only my perceptions.:smile:

If your able to get out of Cebu in 20 minutes your a far better driver than I.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Okay guys--I exaggerated! 45 minutes!

Queenie

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Queenie

Your still a far better driver than I...Congrats..

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Your still a far better driver than I...Congrats..

Come on RBM--work with me here!LOL

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Queenie

I didn't doubt you Queenie, let me start from the edge of the city and pick my time of day to go away from the city, I'm sure it can be done. Rush hour, city center or near choke points though you won't be measuring by KPH but in aggravation per hour.

I like Cebu city better than Dallas Texas, mostly because there are no rules, whereas in Dallas there are rules that very few obey. When I drove in Dallas Texas I placed a special made car catcher in my trailer hitch so that if someone rear ended me their car would be totaled before they ever touched mine. People would get very close trying to figure out what it was for, and when they realized what it was for they would back off at least 5 car spaces. The 5 car spaces would of course be filled by someone else and the process would start again, get close, figure out what the implement (I called it the "stinger") was for, and then back off to a more reasonable safe distance again.

• Like 2