Davao----------Cebu

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

RBM,   Is it true that pedestrians in Davao City can only legally cross main streets by climbing the stairs, and crossing over the many pedestrian bridges? I had seen that on a video and thought--what if I was very old or handicapped in some way, how could I do it? In Cebu there are no such rules. It's pretty fast and loose here. Can you or others clarify if that's true or not for Davao City?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Queenie O. said:

In Cebu there are no such rules.

They used to give out 50 peso jaywalking tickets in downtown Cebu.  Don't they do that any more?

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They used to give out 50 peso jaywalking tickets in downtown Cebu.  Don't they do that any more?

That's true Dave--I stand corrected on that score! My nephew was telling me a while back that if you got caught jaywalking and didn't have the fine money on you, you would be corralled together with others until someone came to help with the fine. I even got a ticket for jaywalking back in the day up near Osmena Circle. I paid the fine and kept the ticket for a souvenir:smile:.

I guess I meant that as far as crossing streets there are not many of those pedestrian bridges used for crossing. I was curious about that in Davao City.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

RBM,   Is it true that pedestrians in Davao City can only legally cross main streets by climbing the stairs, and crossing over the many pedestrian bridges? I had seen that on a video and thought--what if I was very old or handicapped in some way, how could I do it? In Cebu there are no such rules. It's pretty fast and loose here. Can you or others clarify if that's true or not for Davao City?

I used to chuckle Queenie where I lived in Consolation the traffic enforcers were stopping the endless line of cars beside Food and to allow people to cross. This right under the sky walks....

Yes today we were on a major highway, many of these skywards,  most have metal fences about 5 meters either side of the stairs.....only way is up....

Bottom line traffic flows here, Cebu like a dirty sink is all stuck up.

Edited by RBM

RBM
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Been caught here Dave....paid to ovoid the cinema.......have not seen it recently but after being caught an suffering the big fine am now a good Boy!

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Most Cebuano pedestrians have become adept at "The Hand", stops all form of traffic dead so they can saunter or stroll across the road (they never walk). Even the small children have perfected it. The true aficionados have now taken it to the level whereby they don't even have use "The Hand". All they do is give the vague indication of a gesture and they anticipate your immediate halt. It's kind of a psychic thing and you'd better acquire the brain receiver pdq if you're going to drive round Cebu City.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 9/17/2016 at 1:08 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are very lucky.  The only time, in recent years, that I have accomplished that in Cebu is at 4 am when traveling really fast to get out of the city before the morning traffic starts up.  At other times I have not been able to do as you suggest in less than a couple of hours driving.  You must have a secret.

The last time I was in Cebu it took us 20 minutes to get from Robinsons to Mai krua near the diplomat hotel.This was only a 1/2 k drive but the traffic is very bad and much worse than it was 5 years ago.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Here in Dumaguete there are many crossings (white lines on the road) but what is the law on crossing at these places. Does the traffic have to stop if you are on there or do you take your life in your hands as seems to be the case at the moment.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

This was only a 1/2 k drive but the traffic is very bad and much worse than it was 5 years ago.

I can confirm this as in traffic is worse. Been in quite a few taxis lately and spend more time just stopped.

8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Here in Dumaguete there are many crossings (white lines on the road) but what is the law on crossing at these places. Does the traffic have to stop if you are on there or do you take your life in your hands as seems to be the case at the moment.

I have no idea why they waste the paint. I dont know the law but no one stops in Cebu. I asked a Filipina friend why they have the zebra crossings and her answer is to show where to cross? 

I did see in a video once that traffic does stop for pedestrians on the crossings in Makati but I guess thats different or maybe it is the law and enforced there

On my first visit to Cebu I recall trying to cross the road when I spotted a crossing, silly me, lucky i'm still here as I expected the traffic to stop.

roddavis
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

On my first visit to Cebu I recall trying to cross the road when I spotted a crossing, silly me, lucky i'm still here as I expected the traffic to stop.

In Cebu, you missed the universal crossing, arm level at the shoulder, palm up facing driver and glare at the driver while you cross in front of them. Works most of the time but here, not guaranteed!