Davao----------Cebu

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can confirm this as in traffic is worse. Been in quite a few taxis lately and spend more time just stopped.

I have no idea why they waste the paint. I dont know the law but no one stops in Cebu. I asked a Filipina friend why they have the zebra crossings and her answer is to show where to cross? 

I did see in a video once that traffic does stop for pedestrians on the crossings in Makati but I guess thats different or maybe it is the law and enforced there

On my first visit to Cebu I recall trying to cross the road when I spotted a crossing, silly me, lucky i'm still here as I expected the traffic to stop.

No stock sir. I do believe you may find traffic stopping for pedestrians in Singapore though.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yes agree, we were last in Cebu 3 weeks ago after a trip to Davao. The traffic shocked me, its getting worse every time we visit. While Davao gets busy and to some degree clogged, nothing like the diesel polluted air of Cebu.

From Alaya to Canduman took us 2 hours, this on a motor cycle which amazed me. Was totally stuck up, dirty filthy and we deliberately left late as expected rush hour to be over.

For anyone considering a move to Cebu it would a wise move to spend a few months there first.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can confirm this as in traffic is worse. Been in quite a few taxis lately and spend more time just stopped.

I have no idea why they waste the paint. I dont know the law but no one stops in Cebu. I asked a Filipina friend why they have the zebra crossings and her answer is to show where to cross? 

I did see in a video once that traffic does stop for pedestrians on the crossings in Makati but I guess thats different or maybe it is the law and enforced there

On my first visit to Cebu I recall trying to cross the road when I spotted a crossing, silly me, lucky i'm still here as I expected the traffic to stop.

Well when I can I usually follow a local crossing over the road as they know the score.If people do stop when I am crossing I always acknowledge them with a wave and a lipped thank you.

RBM
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well when I can I usually follow a local crossing over the road as they know the score.If people do stop when I am crossing I always acknowledge them with a wave and a lipped thank you.

Two questions...

Do you keep the locals on your Left or Right? 

Have you actually experienced a car slowing or stopping to allow  crossing.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

If you think it's bad now wait until they've finished Mandani Bay and all the other condo developments and doubled the population. To get anywhere then you'll need your own private helicopter.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, DavidK said:

To get anywhere then you'll need your own private helicopter.

When we were in Manila last year, I saw that uber choppers were to be available some time soon.

DonJuanMatus
Posted
Posted

A couple years ago I lived in Davao for about 5 weeks.  Took the Jeepney everyday between Ecoland and downtown.  I enjoyed it though sometimes if you were in the back of the jeepney the fumes could be bad.

I preferred the jeepney's because they were just as fast as the taxi's, only 8 pesos, and you have a nice open breeze as opposed to a taxi where the pollution is trapped in the car.

RMB, I'm glad to hear the traffic hasn't worsened too much?  As Davao expands I wonder if it will stay that way?  There are many parallel roads so I think that helps to keep things moving.

I've never been to Cebu, but I've heard there are better western style condos available.  Davao has some new condos going up so perhaps that will change, but if you're going to just rent a house than that won't be a factor.

Also I've heard Cebu is easier to travel to other islands by ferry or plane?

I feel like Davao is more isolated from the rest of the country in that way, but there are direct flights to CDO and you can take a ferry to Samal and Talikud islands.

I felt very safe in Davao two years ago, and I explored (walked) in many areas where I'm sure few foreigner's venture.  However, with the recent wars on drugs, corruption, and terrorism, I'm unsure how safe Davao will be in the future.  The bombing last month, combined with Dueterte's, Anti-American rhetoric makes me think more than twice about going there.

There are certainly people nestled in that area that are waiting for another opportunity to strike.