Use of Non Firearm Weapons

Aidan
Posted
Posted

Good Evening All,

My 8th trip back to the Philz... Mabuhay! 

Firstly I am not into weapons and where I am from we don't really need to use them. 

I recall watching a YouTube Vid from SeanTheResortRebel of BadLadz in PG who stated clearly that foreigners are not allowed to carry or use fire arms period.

That said I was in Buendia Cash n Carry and saw a lady selling police batons, knuckle busters, various knives and this taser that was disused as a torch.

My question is considering foreigners are not permitted to utilize firearms are they allowed to use any of the above weapons for self defense type purposes?

If so and in addition have any of the forum members used or had to use these other weapons during a self defense type situation?

.... and finally I am not entertaining the thought of using any such items but rather would like to know the local law and hear anyone's take on this topic?

Cheers,
Aidan

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Aidan said:

My question is considering foreigners are not permitted to utilize firearms are they allowed to use any of the above weapons for self defense type purposes?

That is a subject with varying responses.  In general, anything that could be used as an offensive weapon is not legal for foreigners to carry.  Yes, that is generalizing, but unless you wish to study the law and bring a defense lawyer with you on all occasions when you are packing, you would be wise to err on the conservative side.

The laws are on line for anyone to read and interpret but good luck interpreting them the same way that the judge at your future trial will interpret them.

Do you really feel threatened enough to carry a weapon?  Just bring an armed body guard if you do.  All vulnerable filipinos have them.

• Like 2

Aidan
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

'In general, anything that could be used as an offensive weapon is not legal for foreigners to carry.'

Therefore carrying a taser or mini baton for self defensive purposes is illegal for a foreigner. 

Again thank you for confirming this. 

If you read the 'news' most attacks on foreigners occur when they least expect it....for just one example.... when they break down at night in a vehicle by the side if the road in a remote area with no cell phone reception...one may laugh but it could quite easily be a reality for anyone.... and I have seen/heard this before where serious trouble arises....again example 2 just having a quiet drink with a friend when a drive by robbery attempt occurs.....

Point being these type of situations for the everyday foreigner do not call or pre-plan for 'Body Guards'.

7 trips here just holidaying (not living) and yes I never felt threatened.

As a last resort....No problems using my fists then ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have heard of people liking the combo flashlight and electric stunner for evening walks. The crackle of the electricity supposedly scares askals away. I would be dubious of the quality of anything too cheap but if I found one that I thought was good quality, I like to carry a flashlight anyway so I don't get run over, as I sometimes walk until after dark, I might buy it for the stated purpose above and that purpose only.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I've been curious about tactical flashlights. Some will strobe at very high lums or simply flash. Not sure how useful it would be maybe give one a few seconds to run?

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Reboot said:

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

That's a wonderful and cute saying but remember this is Philippines and there are no juries so once again:

10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

. . . the judge at your future trial will interpret them.

There are people (I know only of Filipinos in this instance but there may be foreigners also) who are in jail for decades just for being caught with illegal weapons.  There is a part of me that thinks being killed in a hold up is better than shooting someone with an illegal weapon and spending a decade in a Philippine jail, but that's just me.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Butthe

10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's a wonderful and cute saying but remember this is Philippines and there are no juries so once again:

There are people (I know only of Filipinos in this instance but there may be foreigners also) who are in jail for decades just for being caught with illegal weapons.  There is a part of me that thinks being killed in a hold up is better than shooting someone with an illegal weapon and spending a decade in a Philippine jail, but that's just me.

The principle still applies. Or as they say, "Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission."

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Aidan said:

Personally I dont think one would be walking around with a police type baton. In the vehicle robbery situation nothing wrong with having a very heavy and preferably long spanner next to your seat which is not a weapon as its a tool. I think a personal alarm would be better than a taser as they are basically stun gun type that you have to come in contact with the robber where an alarm will attract attention and probably scare the offender off but thats just my opinion. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Reboot said:

Butthe

The principle still applies. Or as they say, "Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission."

In the Phils is more like "pay for forgiveness", lol.

Having first hand knowledge of how inept and corrupt the justice system is I would try to avoid having anything to with it. To clarify, I've never run afoul of the Philippine legal system, but have helped 2 who have (1 Aussie and 1 Filipino).

The current waiting time to a trial/verdict is about 4-7 years and even a bail hearing can take several years until heard AND granted. And it should be noted that they usually enhance charges for foreigners to ones that are not bailable (ever notice how a minor is conveniently around when a foreigner is arrested, lol), but a simple weapons charge is bailable. In addition, it should be noted that there have been countless cases where a defendant is released because he or she has already served more time (and in many instances significantly more time) then the original charge would have called for even if they had been found guilty!

I've walked around various parts of Cebu at all hours of the day and night - unknowingly going into some areas near Colon that are considered by locals as being "not exactly safe" - and never had a problem. Call it luck, call it ignorance is bliss, or call it whatever you like, but even if I knowingly go into "bad" areas I would still not carry an "offensive" weapon. 

If you feel you need to carry something for personal protection, then there are plenty of innocuous "weapons" you can carry such as a personal alarm or strobe type flashlight as others have suggested (my personal favorite is the big aluminum 4 D-cell Maglite). But there's other things too, like a full sized umbrella (by that I mean the non-folding type), a motorcycle helmut, a cane or walking stick - or even a tire iron if you're in you're just walking in your own neighborhood (if questioned you can always say you just found it). 

• Like 2