Use of Non Firearm Weapons

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

In the Phils is more like "pay for forgiveness", lol.

Having first hand knowledge of how inept and corrupt the justice system is I would try to avoid having anything to with it. To clarify, I've never run afoul of the Philippine legal system, but have helped 2 who have (1 Aussie and 1 Filipino).

The current waiting time to a trial/verdict is about 4-7 years and even a bail hearing can take several years until heard AND granted. And it should be noted that they usually enhance charges for foreigners to ones that are not bailable (ever notice how a minor is conveniently around when a foreigner is arrested, lol), but a simple weapons charge is bailable. In addition, it should be noted that there have been countless cases where a defendant is released because he or she has already served more time (and in many instances significantly more time) then the original charge would have called for even if they had been found guilty!

I've walked around various parts of Cebu at all hours of the day and night - unknowingly going into some areas near Colon that are considered by locals as being "not exactly safe" - and never had a problem. Call it luck, call it ignorance is bliss, or call it whatever you like, but even if I knowingly go into "bad" areas I would still not carry an "offensive" weapon. 

If you feel you need to carry something for personal protection, then there are plenty of innocuous "weapons" you can carry such as a personal alarm or strobe type flashlight as others have suggested (my personal favorite is the big aluminum 4 D-cell Maglite). But there's other things too, like a full sized umbrella (by that I mean the non-folding type), a motorcycle helmut, a cane or walking stick - or even a tire iron if you're in you're just walking in your own neighborhood (if questioned you can always say you just found it). 

I am used to walking around packing a bit more iron than that I guess will have to adjust.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Reboot said:

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

You'ed be in jail for 3 years before a sentence was given. So slow the Philippines judicial system, unless you give the judge a hefty palm grease.   

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gator said:

If you feel you need to carry something for personal protection, then there are plenty of innocuous "weapons"

I found out I can sling a rock pretty fair, but then my name is David and the dog rushing at me sure looked like Goliath.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

This interests me. My wife carries pepper spray on her key chain here in the US. But I always think that in an actual situation she will never be able to get it our and hit someone with it. The personal alarm sounds better.

Any real experiences in the Philippines. I love to walk and would consider carrying one as well.