A murder in Subic Bay Freeport

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

See what you make of this...

i know the so- called "international school" at Cubi because a friend has his office nearby.

http://subicbaynews.net/?p=14578

this is not quite the first murder in the Freeport; there was a killing in a dispute over control of the used vehicles import trade, iirc, and a Korean was also killed - don't know why.

But I do get the impression that crime of one sort or another inside the Freeport Zone is on the increase.

Edited by Methersgate
to clarify that I meant the SBMA
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Methersgate said:

See what you make of this...

i know the so- called "international school" at Cubi because a friend has his office nearby.

http://subicbaynews.net/?p=14578

this is not quite the first murder in the Freeport; there was a killing in a dispute over control of the used vehicles import trade, iirc, and a Korean was also killed - don't know why.

But I do get the impression that crime of one sort or another is on the increase.

The rate of murder is high. But it was high previously. I will let someone else run the stats.

About 1500 "Droga" Drug related killings in under 3 months. 219 missing persons or unidentified bodies.

Here in the somewhat remote province of Ilocos Sur. 5 this week, 12 within the month of September.

Revenge killing is a way of life here. It goes on. As in the one you posted Andrew, the killing is random, but it is not without reason. The Freeport is relatively crime free normally.

As to whether crime is ion the increase there are no hard statistics to prove that. Or separate "Droga" and look at crime overall? I don't know. Life goes on we live normally. Traffic accidents are the biggest risk in the area.

Two nights ago a 42 yo prominent local attorney was gunned down in a drive by shooting. Magsingal Ilocos Sur.

No apparent motive maybe personal vendetta. The rumor is he was assisting a Drug Lord to file a counter case after being arrested. There are a lot of rumors. No one knows the whole truth.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks Chris.   No disagreement.

I should have made myself clear - I was thinking specifically of the Freeport.

I am getting the very distinct impression that planning, maintenance and crime prevention are coming to resemble the rest of the Philippines...

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Methersgate said:

I am getting the very distinct impression that planning, maintenance and crime prevention are coming to resemble the rest of the Philippines...

I'm interested in this "crime prevention", how does it work in the UK? Do you arrest people before they commit crimes? 

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robert k said:

I'm interested in this "crime prevention", how does it work in the UK? Do you arrest people before they commit crimes? 

I don't know what you find funny in the term or why you feel the need to have a dig at the UK, or indeed why youy continually snipe at me, but I think you will find the term "crime prevention" is in everyday use in many places.

Try Google. 

Rant mode off.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

I don't know what you find funny in the term or why you feel the need to have a dig at the UK, or indeed why youy continually snipe at me, but I think you will find the term "crime prevention" is in everyday use in many places.

Try Google. 

I took your advise and googled "crime prevention". It seems more of a catch phrase than anything else.

The normal everyday acts of locking your car or door of your house are crime prevention. I think government has done about as much as they reasonably can when they have enacted laws. It mostly comes down to the community in my opinion whether they will tolerate crime or not. If government concentrates their resources in one geographical area, crime will just go somewhere else.

As for the supposed "dig" at the UK, that is where you are from is it not? There is the little flag that leads me to believe so. I wouldn't ask you to talk knowledgeably about crime prevention in Argentina?

I'm not sniping at you. I honestly disagree with you and I intend to not let you control the dialog to suit your bias/agenda. 

Like the recent thread you started about the dual national woman? "Does This Count?". I easily saw where you were going with it and refuted it. When you asked if I wanted you to remove the thread? I said it is up to you? The fact is that I wish you would post 1,000 more such threads, for me to refute. I don't want you to stop posting. You enable me to make my points better than I ever could alone.

You were slamming Duterte before he ever took office. As a foreigner, I don't see how the continual sniping at the Philippines government, appointed and duly elected alike is supposed to make things better or endear foreigners to our Philippine hosts. If, and only if, my posts were sniping of any sort, they would probably be best described as counter sniping. 

I would like any Filipino who may happen across these threads to know that your opinion is not the only opinion, that many of us are willing to let them work things out for themselves in their own way. The same thing I would want in the US.

I think it's fairly clear that you take public discussion personally. In another thread you actually likened some people to Hitler! Do you really have that great an investment in having your own way? It is just a discussion.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It seems the murder rate is increasing everywhere.  Here, in Iloilo, we have had a very low murder rate, all our crime stats are pretty good (much better than Davao that is for sure).  Since Duterte has emboldened the vigilantes, we have had quite a few murders as well.

They should have just left a cardboard sign on they guy...  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Methersgate said:

Much safer than Chiraq in the USA. Over 3,100 shootings and 480 actual shooting deaths. (Embarrassing ratio!...:571c66d400c8c_1(103):) in 2016 to date! For those not familiar with US cities, Chiraq was formally known as Chicago. :thumbsup:  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Please stay on topic and be kind.

Not directed all at you Bruce.

Edited by Old55

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Methersgate said:

But I do get the impression that crime of one sort or another inside the Freeport Zone is on the increase.

11 hours ago, Methersgate said:

Where are you getting these impressions from?

• Like 1