A murder in Subic Bay Freeport

chris49
Posted
Posted

BTW guys. Crime prevention under the Clinton Administration. Different era I admit.

Clinton ordered city police forces to increase hiring and put more cops on the streets. This was also in a free spending boom economy. Crime got reduced but as the economic situation deteriorated the funding was gradually withdrawn.

I don't know how it translates over to the Philippines but one observation on Duterte is that he's allowing more crime to stop crime. Crime prevention is not only lip service, it's also a matter of funding. And again in the USA the National Guard has been called in at times. An option not available in the Philippines.

The results are not yet in. And it's only a 6 year term. A well cashed up Drug Lord might wait that out.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, chris49 said:

BTW guys. Crime prevention under the Clinton Administration. Different era I admit.

Clinton ordered city police forces to increase hiring and put more cops on the streets. This was also in a free spending boom economy. Crime got reduced but as the economic situation deteriorated the funding was gradually withdrawn.

I don't know how it translates over to the Philippines but one observation on Duterte is that he's allowing more crime to stop crime. Crime prevention is not only lip service, it's also a matter of funding. And again in the USA the National Guard has been called in at times. An option not available in the Philippines.

The results are not yet in. And it's only a 6 year term. A well cashed up Drug Lord might wait that out.

Actually it was not more police officers, it was the "equivalent" of 100,000 police officers. Some of the money went to overtime but most of the money went to new cars and equipment. Many departments bought armored vehicles.:hystery: 

Places that actually needed armored vehicles like Los Angeles for breaching "Rock" houses already had them. Armored police vehicles came to small town America and are rotting on the back lot.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, robert k said:

Actually it was not more police officers, it was the "equivalent" of 100,000 police officers. Some of the money went to overtime but most of the money went to new cars and equipment. Many departments bought armored vehicles.:hystery: 

Places that actually needed armored vehicles like Los Angeles for breaching "Rock" houses already had them. Armored police vehicles came to small town America and are rotting on the back lot.

You know the Clintons they can put a spin on anything. Programs that do work intially but run out of funding.

Different era. Jobs were available everywhere and inner city lawlessness was not yet rampant.

I know we are talking about crime and crime prevention in the Philippines, so I still consider this on topic.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Where are you getting these impressions from?

I was one of those who helped in a small way to set up the SBMA; I was working for one of the first tenants, and I put in "volunteering" time helping out the guys who were working with Dick, in the rather simple office that we had in those days. I can claim a small role in today's port layout.

My employer back in those days is still there and we are still friends; I see him once or twice a year when I visit the place.  He is not the biggest employer or the smallest, but he is very well respected. There are a few other expatriate owners of businesses in the Freeport who have been there almost as long whom I am on friendly terms with.

I also have Filipino friends in Olongapo who are members of the "not Gordon" group in local politics, and friends amongst local businesses.

(I don't take a view on the Gordon/Payumo question.)

I like Subic and Olongapo and the attitude of the people; they are imho amongst the more "go ahead" people in the Philippines.

My ex wife's father, now deceased, was a Filipino foreman for the USN. My wife isn't from there, but she has lived and held down a job there, and she has friends there too. Her Maid of Honor when we married, her best friend, is a lady Master Mariner from Olongapo who commands superyachts.

I hope this answers your question. Of course, it's only a "snapshot" view, but it is one based on long experience, and on at least annual visits over more than twenty-five years.

Edited by Methersgate
To add some stuff.