E-trikes to rule in Manila

intrepid
Posted
Posted

If this proves to actually work, it would be nice to see the program expanded outside the city in the provinces!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, intrepid said:

If this proves to actually work, it would be nice to see the program expanded outside the city in the provinces!

They have tried this in Bacalod, I have not seen or read any progress reports, Last I heart the Owners were complaining about the Electric Bills for Recharging, Forgetting maybe to save the gas money they saved, to help pay for the Extra Electric needed but then, many Trike Owners/Drivers don't have Electric in some parts of outlying Provinces, I Notice here in Dumaguete for Instance they all live in Blocks of Puroks that, Strange as it may seem in 2016, Still eat and   Drink Together using the Minimum of Electric. Few Drivers Live in the Cities so I can see this being a problem in the Future.  The Kids have their Phones chrged at the local Sorry, Sorry's So............................. :89:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

They have been using electric trikes in Sibulan for a year (or two?) here and they are fine during the day.  As soon as the sun goes down they are the bane of the road.  By then they are low on battery power but the operator still needs to make those last few pesos and those last few customers still need to go home so we see them rolling down the dark roads with no lights (to save that last little bit of power) and at the speed where bicycles are passing them. 

I sincerely doubt they will be replaced when they wear out, unless they improve the batteries to last a few hours longer.

Edit:  And lets not forget the batteries will get worse, not better, as the units age.  Replace the batteries?  :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think the technology, which works well enough with enough money spent, is not mature enough to make it on the cheap, which is going to be a requirement for it to continue past the pilot program.

If it were solely an environmental issue, I would suggest mandatory conversion to natural gas for much cleaner emissions until the cost of electric vehicles come down.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

I think the technology, which works well enough with enough money spent, is not mature enough to make it on the cheap, which is going to be a requirement for it to continue past the pilot program.

If it were solely an environmental issue, I would suggest mandatory conversion to natural gas for much cleaner emissions until the cost of electric vehicles come down.

The numbers quoted don't seem to make sense.  p120,000,000 for 10,000 units = 12,000 per unit.  No way.

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

To me electric trikes sound dangerous in a busy place like Manila! With gas trikes you can hear them coming, with electric trikes you have to have your head on a swivel. In Houston we have electric light rail and it gets in accidents all the time because motorists can't hear it coming.  

Edited by Happyhorn52
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

To me electric trikes sound dangerous in a busy place like Manila! With gas trikes you can hear them coming, with electric trikes you have to have your head on a swivel. In Houston we have electric light rail and it gets in accidents all the time because motorists can't hear it coming.  

There has been some talk in the US of requiring electric vehicles to make some sort of noise. I favor that bilabial fricative noise kids make when they're playing with toy cars. The sound of spokes chattering against a card attached to the forks would be spiffy as well.

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The numbers quoted don't seem to make sense.  p120,000,000 for 10,000 units = 12,000 per unit.  No way.

The October 15th deadline is also unrealistic! Three weeks to convert 25,000 trikes to electric power. Does he really think the local trice stores have that many units in inventory?

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The numbers really don't add up. Later in the article they say the drivers will pay between p150-p200 a day for 4 years.  Taking the p150 a day, 6 days a week, for 4 years is over p200,000 for a trike... that they said cost 12,000.  Hell of a mark-up!  :tiphat:

• Like 1