E-trikes to rule in Manila

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Guy F. said:

bilabial fricative

I had to PM Jake to find out what this is.  Something like a farting noise?

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

:whistling: just wondering who might have shares in the supply company.

Change over in three weeks, :hystery:

Hope those batteries can stand up to flood water and rain.....:morning1:

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/24/2016 at 0:06 AM, OnMyWay said:

I had to PM Jake to find out what this is.  Something like a farting noise?

Yes. Lips flapping rapidly due to air being expelled, while vocalizing in what would be a monotone if the lips were not flapping.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

There seems to have been more thought put into how to make the flapping sound than planning how to make the e-trike conversion go smoothly.

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Here in Beijing electric vehicles have become ubiquitous. A basic electric bike can be bought retail for the equivalent of less than P8,000 and a scooter with a fairly high specification for about twice that. So the figure of P12,000 might be realistic - given that the units will be purchased in bulk and, presumably, will be free from purchase tax and / or import duty (it's a government initiative). If it's a conversion the costs could be pretty low. In parts of Beijing cycle rickshaws are still very common. Most have a DIY conversion to electric power. An electric motor is slung on the chassis and connected to the back axle by a drive belt and one or more batteries are mounted under the back seat.

Range has been an issue with electric with electric vehicles, however most online shopping deliveries here are made using little three-wheel electric vans or electric bikes. Online shopping is very popular here so there are vast numbers of electric delivery vehicles clogging the footpaths and cycle lanes. I'm sure that electric vehicles are used because they are cheaper than the alternative, and not on environmental grounds. And, of course, Beijing has the advantage of being very flat. AFAIK climbing hills really eats up the power reserves of an electric vehicle.

Safety is an issue: silence, no lights at night, and the fact that most riders and drivers have never had to pass a driving make them potentially lethal.

Of course in terms of the overall environment the pollution is just moved from one place to another: especially since most electricity here comes from coal-burning power stations.

Now how about electric jeepnies?

:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Just wait until the batteries start bursting into flame (or exploding) thanks to overcharging :boom:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, DavidK said:

Just wait until the batteries start bursting into flame (or exploding) thanks to overcharging :boom:

Why?  Is Samsung involved? :smile:

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Given the size of the battery and the fact that it is between the riders' legs it could be an electrifying experience.:SugarwareZ-005:

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I had a Samsung phone and it was ok but I won't buy another. Not because of the battery issue though. Samsung just doesn't build what I want.

Samsung got a lot/run of bad batteries. It's bound to happen to someone else in the future. As for in flight problems, the biggest problem seems to be someones phone slipping into the seat mechanism, the phone and battery being crushed and bursting into flames. Someone even managed to do this with an Ipad.

As for trikes, I would expect a stronger controller and if the trikes are being charged at stations, I doubt the stations would be wasting electricity trying to overcharge the batteries. It's all theoretical anyway as it really isn't going to happen. An e-bike and something that can haul a driver,sidecar and 2 passengers with gear are two totally different things.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2016 at 0:35 AM, robert k said:

I had a Samsung phone and it was ok but I won't buy another. Not because of the battery issue though. Samsung just doesn't build what I want.

Samsung got a lot/run of bad batteries. It's bound to happen to someone else in the future. As for in flight problems, the biggest problem seems to be someones phone slipping into the seat mechanism, the phone and battery being crushed and bursting into flames. Someone even managed to do this with an Ipad.

As for trikes, I would expect a stronger controller and if the trikes are being charged at stations, I doubt the stations would be wasting electricity trying to overcharge the batteries. It's all theoretical anyway as it really isn't going to happen. An e-bike and something that can haul a driver,sidecar and 2 passengers with gear are two totally different things.

I have seen the ones with the cart with a roof and seats on the back. But like you say the way they pack stuff in over here would they be strong enough.From the downtown market to here the tri cycles want 7 passengers and they all have goods with them,so how long would electric vehicles be able to carry on working before the battery ran down.