Building a Small Lobster Hatchery here in the Philippines

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hey Jamesmusselwhite,

Haven't seen much posting from you lately.  How is this project going?  Successfully I hope.  Best regards.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I had some members either send me PMs or emails over the last couple of mouths inquiring about the progress of the hatchery. It has been on hold for also a year now. We stopped work as the transporting of materials and labor was simply becoming too difficult and hazardous during the rainy season. Then in March we were hit with a 7.2 and two weeks later a 6.7 earthquakes. This cased some structural damage to the facility and made getting building materials difficult and our crew was needed in the city to help clear and repair the damage from the quakes. The Philippines department of fisheries a couple of months later green-lighted a government grant which will fund the completion of the Phase 1 stage of construction. Now it is just a mater of the funds being allocated and released which with luck will be after the first of the year. We will soon be entering our rainy season here which usually starts sometime during the last week of December and rains through mid April. So fingers crossed the grant will be allocated and construction will resume once the rains stop.

I have been spending the off-time doing research and working on a new 6-part Youtube video series on lobster 'grow-out' production and lobster hatchery production. When I started writing the script for the first video it was originally only going to be a simple 30 minute video. But once I started going through all of my collected notes and collected PDFs and books, well that simple script has developed into 50 pages of tightly written (11 font size) text. I decided that if I was going to do this project than I was going to try to share as much useful information for the viewers. 

After six months working on this video project I presently only have 45 more PDFs left to read through, and once done there will still need some minor text restructuring and editing work which will still need to be completed. Once the script is finalized than I can start the voice-over work which will be edited using a program called 'Ocenaudio' . I have already accumulated the over 500 completed slides of various photos, drawings and diagrams which were edited using 'Microsoft Paint' which I have already uploaded onto a program called 'ProShow Producer' but I will need to do some minor reorganizing of the slides to match the script story line modifications. "ProShow Producer' will allow me to properly synchronize all the transition times of the slides to the voice-over recordings. At my current pace, and with a little bit of luck, I should have the video completed and uploaded onto Youtube before the end of this December. Those readers who are interested in lobster 'grow-out' production and lobster aquaculture, are seriously thinking of this as a possible business venture should find this first video to be quite informative.   

For the last six months I have scoured through my own research notes, my library of text books and well over 300 PDFS which I have compiled over the last seven years. As I read through these books and PDFs I decided to make a complete list of their titles  which should assist reader who are interested in conducting your own personal research. I sincerely hope some will find this list to be useful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Master List of PDF Files:

9th International Conference and Workshop on Lobster Biology & Management

10th International Conference and Workshop on Lobster Biology and Management

Abundance and Distribution of Zooplankton in the South China Sea, Area III Western Philippines

A Community Guide to Monitoring Crayfish (Rock Lobster) Populations

Advancement of rotifer culture and manipulation techniques in Europe

Advances in aquaculture hatchery technology

Advances in aquaculture research and development - Biennial report 1998 and 1999

A Fishery Manager’s Guidebook

Age and Growth of Spiny Lobster Panulirus Polyphagus HERBST of Bombay Water

Agonistic behaviour in juvenile southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii (Decapoda, Palinuridae): implications for developing aquaculture

A Guide to Lobstering in Maine

A HANDBOOK FOR LOBSTER FISHERMEN OF THE TROPICAL PACIFIC ISLANDS

A late-stage phyllosoma larva of the spiny lobster Panulirus echinatus Smith, 1869 (Crustacea: Palinuridae) identified by DNA analysis 

A Manual for Rural Freshwater Aquaculture

A multiplex PCR-based protocol for identification and quantification of (Vibrio harveyi) related species

A Note on the Occurrence of the Puerulus of the Spiny Lobster Panulirus polyphagus (HERBST) in Zuari Estuary in Goa

A Practical Guide to Setting Up Your Tropical Freshwater Aquarium (2000)

A Preliminary Study of the Costs of Operating a Lobster Hatchery in Orkney and the Development of an Economic Model for Future Hatchery Programmes

A Rearing System for the Culture of Ornamental Decdecapod Crustacean Larvae

A simple collector for postlarvae of the spiny lobster Panulirus argus

An Assessment of the Aquacultute Potential of the Caribbean Spiny Lobster, Panurilus argus

An Ecological Assessment of Queensland’s East Coast Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery

An Ecological Assessment of Queensland’s East Coast Tropical Rock Lobster Fishery

An Illustrated hatchery guide for the production of clawed lobsters. (Using a green water technique)

An Illustrated Hatchery Guide to Producing European Clawed lobster (Homarus Gammarus) 2009

An Overview of Aquaculture Sector in Vietnam

An Overview of Philippine Fisheries

Alien Terrestrial Arthropods of Europe, Part 1.

Alien Terrestrial Arthropods of Europe, Part 2.

Algae for Aquaculture and Animal Feeds

Amphipod Newsletter (2011)

Application of a gelatinous zooplankton tank for the mass production of larval Caribbean spiny lobster, (Panulirus argus)

Aquaculture Certification News (Apr. 2004)

Aquaculture Certification News (Aug. 2004)

Aquaculture Engineering 2nd ed - Odd-Ivar Lekang (Wiley, 2013)

Aquaculture Farming Aquatic Animals and Plants (Second edition)

Aquaculture, Fisheries and Fish Biology 2007/2008

Aquaculture Virology

Aquaponic Gardening

Aquaponics Common Sense Guide

Aquaponics Guide

Aquarium Plants - 1st Edition (2002)

AQUATIC BIOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY - A Selected List of Books

Are juvenile Caribbean spiny lobsters (Panulirus argus) becoming less social?

Artificial Reefs for Lobsters An Overview of Their Application for Fisheries Enhancement, Management, and Conservation

Artificial shelters (casitas) as habitats for juvenile spiny lobsters Panulirus argus in the Mexican Caribbean

Australian Museum Description of Key Species Groups in the East Marine Region Final Report – September 2007

A vessel‐deployed passive postlarval collector to assess settlement of the American lobster Homarus americanus

Backyard Aquaponics  - A GUIDE TO BUILDING AN AQUAPONIC SYSTEM

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 1

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 2

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 3

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 4

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 5

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 6

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 7

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 8

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 9

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 10

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 11

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 12

Backyard Aquaponics magazine Issue 13

Backyard Farming Issue 2 (2010)

BAP Pangasius Standards Available For Public Comment

Basic Principles of Aquaculture I

Biochemical and molecular characterization of hemolytic Bacillus licheniformis strains isolated from shrimp and clam aquacultures

Biodiversity of marine zooplankton in Southeast Asia (Project-3: Plankton Group) – Chapter 5

Bioeconomics of Spiny Lobster Farming in Indonesia

Biology, larval transport modelling and commercial logbook data analysis to support management of the NE Queensland rock lobster Panulirus ornatus fishery

Biology of spiders

Black gill disease of cage-cultured ornate rock lobster Panulirus ornatus in central Vietnam caused by Fusarium species

Breeding and Hatchery Technology Development of Spiny Lobsters and Crabs - A Review

Captive Breeding and Seed Production - Opening New Vistas in Crustacean Aquaculture

CaribbeanNMFS Cooperative SEAMAP Program- Spiny lobster, Panulirus argus, Assessment

Caribbean spiny lobster, Panulirus argus

Caribbean spiny lobster, Panulirus argus (Latreille, (Latreille, 1804)

Changes in the Scalloped Spiny Lobster, Panulirus Homarus Biological Structure after a Shift of the Fishing Season

Chapter 13: Commercial Syllarides

Choosing an Appropriate Live Feed for Larviculture of Marine Fish

Comparison of catches on two types of collector of recently settled stages of the spiny lobster (Panulirus argus), Florida, United States

Conclusion of Research on Capture and Culture of Pre-settlement Fish for the Marine Aquarium Trade in Solomon Islands

Confirmation of External Fertilization in the American Lobster, Homarus Americanus

Conservation of Rare, Threatened and Endangered Fishery Species – Fisheries Administrative (Order NO. 208, Series of 2001) RPDA

Considerations in Hatchery Design for the Prevention of Diseases

Copepods in first feeding of European lobster and Bluefin tuna

Crayfish

CRUSTACEANS STRUCTURE, ECOLOGY AND LIFE CYCLE

CSIRO Studies Dry Feeds For Juvenile Spiny Lobsters

CULTURE OF GIANT FRESHWATER PRAWN: PHILIPPINES

Cultured Aquatic Species Information Programme Panulirus homarus (Linnaeus, 1878)

Decapod Crustacean Phylogenetics (Crustacean Issues)

Defensive enrolment in mantis shrimp larvae (Malacostraca: Stomatopoda)

Demography, fishery yield and potential management strategies of painted spiny lobster (Panulirus versicolor) at Northwest Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Department of Marine and Fisheries (1912-1913) - Fisheries

Description of the larval morphology of captive reared Panulirus ornatus spiny lobsters, benchmarked against wild-caught specimens

Design, Operation and Economics of a Small-scale Hatchery for the Larval Rearing of Sugpo, (Penaes Monodon) Fab

Determination of Preferred Habitats of Early Benthic Juvenile California Spiny Lobster (Panulirus interruptus), on the Pacif Coast of Baja California Sur. Mexico

Determining the Diet of Larvae of Western Rock Lobster (Panulirus cygnus) Using High-Throughput DNA Sequencing Techniques

Development of spiny lobster aquaculture in Indonesia

Developments in hatchery technology for striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)

Digestive enzyme profiles of spiny lobster (Jasus edwardsii) phyllosoma larvae

Disease effects on lobster fisheries, ecology, and culture: overview of DAO Special 6

Diseases of crabs and lobster

Diseases of spiny lobsters: A review

Dispersion and Morphology of Caribbean Spiny Lobster

Distribution of Phyllosoma Larvae (Crustacea Decapoda, Palinuridae, Scyllaridae and Synaxidae) in the Western North Pacific

Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes - 9th Revised Edition (2004)

EARLY LARVAL STAGES OF THE SPINY LOBSTERS, Panulirus homarus, Panulirus versicolor AND Panulirus ornatus CULTURED UNDER LABORATORY CONDITIONS

Easy DIY Aquaponics - Let the Fish Grow Your Organic Food - By Andrew C Endres

Ecological Studies of the Puerulus Larval Stage of the California Spiny Lobster (Panulirus Interruptus)

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium - A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist (1999)

Effects of artificial shelters (Casitas) on the abundance and biomass of juvenile spiny lobsters Panulirus argus in a habitat-limited tropical reef lagoon

Effect of bioactive products on innate immunity and development of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus L.) larvae

Effect of Nannochloropsis salina on the survival and growth of phyllosoma of the tropical spiny lobster, Panulirus homarus L. under laboratory conditions

Effect of photoperiod on the culture of early-stage phyllosoma and metamorphosis of spiny lobster (Sagmariasus verreauxi)

Effect of stocking density on growth and survival rate of Spiny Lobster (Panulirus polyphagus) in cage culture system

Effect of Temperature on Ovarian Maturation Stages and Embryonic  Development of Mud Spiny Lobster, Panulirus polyphagus

Effects of Artemia enrichment with microalgae on the survival and growth of Panulirus homarus phyllosoma larvae

Effects of different water treatments on microbial communities when startfeeding European lobster (Homarus gammarus)

Effects of pellet shape and size on production of spiny lobster (Panulirus ornatus)

Encyclopedia of Aquarium & Pond Fish (DK Publishing) (2008)

Euryhaline rotifer Proales similis as initial live food 1 for rearing fish with small mouth

Evaluate of heavy metal concentration in shrimp (Penaeus semisulcatus) and crab (Portunus pelagicus) with INAA method

Experimental transmission and tissue tropism of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) in two species of lobsters, Panulirus homarus and Panulirus ornatus

Exploitation of puerulus settlement for the development of tropical rock lobster aquaculture in the Indo-West Pacific

Farming of spiny lobsters in sea cages in India

Fatty acid profiles of phyllosoma larvae of western rock lobster Panulirus Cygnus in cyclonic and anticyclonic eddies of the Leeuwin Current off Western Australia

Feasibility Study December 2014: Port Erroll Visitor Centre and Lobster Hatchery

Feasibility study Final Report: Improving lobster grow-out and nutrition in Nusa Tenggara Barat - ACIAR-SADI research report

Feasibility Study: A Yorkshire Coast Lobster Hatchery

Fecundity and viability of eggs in wild breeders of spiny lobsters, Panulirus homarus (Linnaeus, 1758), Panulirus versicolor (Latrielle, 1804) and Panulirus ornatus (Fabricius, 1798)

Feed intake and its relation to foregut capacity in juvenile spiny lobster, Jasus edwardsii

Feeding and Digestion in the Phyllosoma Larvae of Ornate Spiny Lobster, Panulirus ornatus (Fabricius) and the Implications for their Culture

Feeding of a larval clinid fish in a microtidal estuary from southern Chile

Feeding strategies for aquaculture of postpuerulus and juvenile tropical rock lobster P. ornatus

Feeds Development for Post-larval Spiny Lobster - A Review

FFA Spiny Lobster (1992)

Fish and Amphibians (Britannica Illustrated Science Library) (2009)

Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance Fourth Edition – APRIL 2011

Fish Farming in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS)

Fisheries Administrative (Order No. 79) Rules and regulation governing pearl culture

Fisheries and Aquaculture in the Modern World (2016)

Fisheries Management

FISHERIES RESEARCH REPORT NO. 144, 2003, Towards establishing techniques for large scale harvesting of pueruli and obtaining a better understanding of mortality rates

Fisheries Safety Handbook - Professional Safety Committee of the American Fisheries Society (December 2008)

Fluoride Toxicity in Crayfish, Biology Department, Baylor University, Waco, Tx

Food Quality Affects Secondary Consumers Even at Low Quantities: An Experimental Test with Larval European Lobster

FRDC Project 1998/302 – Rock Lobster Enhancement and Aquaculture Subprogram: Towards establishing techniques for large scale harvesting of pueruli and obtaining a better understanding of mortality rates

Freshwater Aquarium - 2nd Edition (2005) Freshwater Prawns - Biology and Farming (2010)

Freshwater Aquarium (Your Happy Healthy Pet) - 2nd Edition (2005)

Freshwater Prawns - Biology and Farming - M. New, et al., (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010) BBS

From Egg to Plate - Norway's Lobster Farm

Fussy Feeders - Phyllosoma Larvae of the Western Rocklobster (Panulirus cygnus) Demonstrate Prey Preference

GAA - Hatchery Production Of Spiny Lobsters (Sept 11)

Global Status of Crustacean Aquaculture – Lecture Outline

Global Supply, Demand and Markets for Lobster, What are the Opportunities for N. American Lobster

Grow-out Production of Nile Tilapia

Growth Assessment of Spiny Lobster Panulirus homarus Under Open Sea Cage Culture in Tharuvaikulam of Tamil Nadu Coast South, India

Growth and Mortality of Captive Caribbean Spiny Lobsters, Panulirus argus, in Florida, USA

Growth and Survival of Ornate Spiny Lobster (Panulirus ornatus) in Nursery under Laboratory Condition

Growth and reproduction of the painted spiny lobster (Panulirus versicolor) on the Great Barrier Reef (Australia)

Growth of juvenile southern rock lobsters, Jasus edwardsii, is influenced by diet and temperature, whilst survival is influenced by diet and tank environment

Growth of ornate rock lobsters, Panulirus ornatus, in Torres Strait, Australia

Growth performance of spiny lobster Panulirus ornatus in land-based Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture (IMTA) system

Growth, repetitive breeding, and aquaculture potential of the spiny lobster, Panulirus ornatus

Gudjon Light traps

Habitat use and growth of juvenile ornate rock lobsters, Panulirus ornatus (Fabricius, 1798), in Torres Strait, Australia

Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries. Volume 1

Handbook of Fish Biology and Fisheries, Volume 2

Hatchery and farming of spiny lobster - A Review

Hatchery Production Of Spiny Lobsters

Hatchery Production Of Spiny Lobsters - Meeting Growing Demand For Premium Product

Hatchery Technology and Seed Production of Lobsters

Hermit Crab Your Happy Healthy Pet

Hydroponics for the Home Grower (2015)

Identification of an Antagonistic Probiotic Combination Protecting Ornate Spiny Lobster (Panulirus ornatus) Larvae against (Vibrio owensii) Infection

Identification of Bacterial Community Composition in Freshwater Aquaculture System Farming of (Litopenaeus vannamei) Reveals Distinct Temperature-Driven Patterns

Identification of Mid – to Final Stage Phyllosoma Larvae of the Genus Panulirus White, 1847 Collected in the Ryukyu Archipelago

Impact of arachidonic acid enrichment of live rotifer prey on bacterial communities in rotifer and larval fish cultures

Improving lobster grow-out and nutrition in Nusa Tenggara Barat a feasibility study

INORGANIC NITROGENOUS WASTE PRODUCTION FROM THE SEA-CAGE AQUACULTURE OF SPINY LOBSTERS

International Symposium on lobster Health Management: Proceedings

Investigation into Development and Preparation of 'artificial' Feed Particles for Tropical Rock Lobster (Panulirus ornatus) Phyllosoma

Juvenile and Adult Ecology, Chapter 8

Larval Connectivity and the International Management of Fisheries

Larval Development of the European Lobster and How Small Heterochronic Shifts Lead to a More Pronounced Metamorphosis

Larval Transport and Recruitment Process of Southern Rock Lobster

Length weight Relationship of Lobster Panulirus versicolor (LATREILLE, 1804) (Family: Palinuridea) Off Thoothukudi Waters, Southeast Coast of India

Lipid, fatty acid and protein content of late larval to early juvenile stages of the western rock lobster, Panulirus cygnus

Lipid reserves used by pueruli of the spiny lobster Jasus edwardsii in crossing the continental shelf of New Zealand

Lobster Aquaculture a commercial reality - A review

Lobster Aquaculture In Eastern Indonesia

Lobster aquaculture In Eastern Indonesia (Part I) Methods evolve for fledgling industry

Lobster aquaculture In Eastern Indonesia (Part 2) Ongoing research examines nutrition, seed sourcing

Lobster Biology and Management

Lobster Culture and Live Transport

Lobster diseases J. E. Stewart, Fisheries Research Branch, Department of Fisheries and Oceans; P.O.Box 550, Hallfax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3J 2S7

Lobster diversity of Palabuhanratu Bay, South Java, Indonesia with new distribution record of Panulirus ornatus, P. polyphagus and Parribacus antarcticus

Lobster Hatcheries – Lobster Cultivation

Lobster Hatcheries and Stocking Programmes - An Introductory Manual

Lobster Holding Tank System Manual

Lobsters

Lobsters: ocean icons in changing times

Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia A Guide to Identification

Marine Zooplankton researches in Vietnam: An overview

Marine Zooplankton studies in Thailand during 2001-2010

MASTERLIST OF REGISTERED LIVE FOOD FISH EXPORTERS AS OF AUGUST 03, 2011 (Philippines)

Mating behaviour, oviposition and fertilization in the spiny lobster Panulirus homarus (Linnaeus)

Maturation, spawning and production of phyllosoma larvae of Mediterranean slipper lobster, Scyllarides latus (Latreille 1803) in captivity

Metabolism and chemical composition of phyllosoma larvae, with special reference to the tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus (Decapoda; Palinuridae)

Microbial communities of larval rearing systems and wild phyllosoma of the ornate rock lobster, Panulirus ornatus, and options for microbial management in aquaculture

Microbial community dynamics in a larval aquaculture system of the tropical rock lobster, Panulirus ornatus

Microbial diversity of mid-stage Palinurid phyllosoma from Great Barrier Reef waters

Microbial Diversity within Early-Stage Cultured (Panulirus ornatus) Phyllosomas

Microbial diversity within the water column of a larval rearing system for the ornate rock lobster (Panulirus ornatus)

Microbiological aspects of phyllosoma rearing of the ornate rock lobster (Panulirus ornatus)

Modelling carbon deposition and dissolved nitrogen discharge from sea cage aquaculture of tropical spiny lobster

Modelling of the effects of climate change on population dynamics of a spiny lobster, Panulirus penicillatus, fishery

Molecular Species Identification of Spiny Lobster Phyllosoma Larvae of the Genus Panulirus from the Northwestern Pacific

Morphology of the Male Gonads of the Spiny Lobster Panulirus laevicauda (Latreille, 1817)

Multilingual Dictionary of Fish and Fish Products, 5th Edition

National Fisheries Strategy (2012-2025) (Final Draft) - Republic of Yemen Ministry of Fish Wealth

Near-Infrared Spectroscopy as a Novel Non-Invasive Tool to Assess Spiny Lobster Nutritional Condition

New Caledonia lobster aquaculture trials: The season is here!

New puerulus collector design suitable for fishery-dependent settlement monitoring

New tank design for larval culture of Japanese spiny lobster Panulirus japonicas

Notes on Some Indo-Pacific Pontoniinae. XXII. Pliopontonia Furtiva Gen. Nov., Sp. Nov., New Shrimp Associated with a Corallimorph Zoantharian

Nutritional Value and Uses of Microalgae in Aquaculture

Occurrence of Panulirus inflatus (Decapoda: Palinuridae) pueruli in the southeastern Gulf of California, Mexico

Occurrence of shell disease and carapace abnormalities on natural population of Neohelice granulata (Crustacea: Varunidae) from a tropical mangrove forest, Brazil

Ocean currents and the larval phase of Australian western rock lobster, Panulirus cygnus

Oceanographic Currents and Local Ecological Knowledge Indicate, and Genetics Does Not Refute, a Contemporary Pattern of Larval Dispersal for The Ornate Spiny Lobster, Panulirus ornatus in the South-East Asian Archipelago

Opportunities for the Holding/Fattening/Processing and Aquaculture of Western Rock Lobster (Panulirus cygnus)

Presidential Task Force on Combating IUU Fishing and Seafood Fraud

Palinurid and Scyllarid Lobster Larvae of the Natal Coast, South Africa

Palinurid lobster aquaculture: Nutritional progress and considerations for successful larval rearing

Panulirus argus postlarva performance fed with fresh squid

Pathogenicity and Infection Cycle of (Vibrio owensii) in Larviculture of the Ornate Spiny Lobster (Panulirus ornatus)

Philippine Fisheries in Crisis – A Framework for Management

Philippine Fisheries Profile, 2002

Philippine National Standard, Organic Aquaculture

Philippine Shellfish Bulletins (2016) Red Tides

Phyllosoma Larvae and the Ocean Currents off the Hawaiian Islands

Phyllosomata associated with large gelatinous zooplankton hitching rides and stealing bites

Postlarval settlement of the spiny lobster Panulirus argus along the Caribbean coast of Mexico: Patterns, influence of physical factors, and possible sources of origin

Principles and Practices of Pond Aquaculture

Principles of Aquaculture

Probiont niche specialization contributes to additive protection against (Vibrio owensii) in spiny lobster larvae

Proceedings of the 1999 Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Rock Lobster Propagation Workshop

Proceedings of the IFS 2012 - SHARING KNOWLEDGE FOR SUSTAINABLE AQUACULTURE AND FISHERIES IN THE SOUTH – EAST ASIA

Proceedings of the Symposium on Coastal Aquaculture

Puerulus of the spiny lobster Panulirus guttatus (Latreille, 1804) (Palinuridae)

Rearing cuttings of the soft coral Sarcophyton glaucum (Octocorallia Alcyonacea) towards mass production in a closed seawater system

Recent advances in fish hatchery management

Recent settlement trends in Panulirus argus (Decapoda: Palinuridae) pueruli around St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Regulation of serotonin levels by multiple light-entrainable endogenous rhythms

Relative contribution of Artemia and mussel as food for cultured middle stage Panulirus japonicus phyllosomata as determined by stable nitrogen

Relative efficacies of lobsters (Panulirus ornatus and P. homarus) cultured using pellet feeds and “trash” fish at Binh Ba Bay, Vietnam

Replacement of Fish Meal with Fish Head Meal in the Diet on the Growth and Feed Efficiency of Spiny Lobster, Panulirus Ornatus Under Reared in Sea Net Cage

Reproduction in the Tropical Rock Lobster Panulirus ornatus in Captivity

Reproduction of the Ornate Rock Lobster, Panulirus ornatus (Fabricius), in Papua New Guinea

Reproductive cues in Panulirus ornatus

Republic of Yemen Ministry of Fish Wealth National Fisheries Strategy (2012-2025)

Requirements for the aquaculture of Panulirus ornatus in Australia

Research for Management of the Ornate Tropical Rock Lobster, Panulirus ornatus, Fishery in Torres Strait: Final Report on CSIRO Research, 1990–1993

Resistance to starvation of first-stage juveniles of the Caribbean spiny lobster

Resource Management in Olango Island, Cebu – The Challenges and Opportunities

Revealing the Natura Diet of the Phyllosoma Larvae of Spiny Lobster

Review of Panulirus argus virus 1 - a decade after its discovery

Revised Check List 0f Philippine Crustacean Decapods

Rotifers, Artemia and copepods as live feeds for fish larvae in aquaculture

Rotifers enriched with a mixed algal diet promote survival, growth and development of barramundi larvae (Lates calcarifer)

Saltwater Aquarium Models

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

Scoping Paper: Matters Relevant to the Development of a Sustainable Allocation and Growout Model for Western Rock Lobster Pueruli

Scoping Study: Lobster Grow-out Pilot Project, Yarrabah

SEAFISH Lobster Hatcheries – Cultivation

Seasonality and shelter selection by the slipper lobster Scyllarides latus in the southeastern Mediterranean

Sensory evaluation of tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus

Sexual maturation in captive spiny lobsters, Jasus edwardsii, and the relationship of fecundity and larval quality with maternal size

Severe physiological stress associated with the annual breeding emigration of Panulirus ornatus in the Torres Strait

Short-term impacts and value of a periodic no take zone (NTZ) in a community-managed small-scale lobster fishery, Madagascar

Small-scale freshwater fish farming

Small subunit rDNA and Bayesian inference reveal P. ornatus highly transformed Mytilicolidae, and support assignment of Chondracanthidae and Xarifiidae to Lichomolgoidea (Cyclopoida

Solar Power - The Ultimate Guide to Solar Power Energy and Lower Bills

Solar Power for Your Home

Solar Power - The Ultimate Guide to Solar Power Energy and Lower Bills

Solar Power Your Home for Dummies

Spiny Lobster

Spiny lobster Aquaculture development in Indonesia, Vietnam and Australia

Spiny lobster Aquaculture in Vietnam, status, constraints and opportunities

Spiny lobster Aquaculture in the Asia–Pacific region

Spiny lobster Aquaculture in Vietnam status, constraints and opportunities

Spiny Lobster Aquaculture Research on Slow-Growing Species To Improve Industry In Vietnam, Other Countries

Spiny lobster development: where does successful metamorphosis to the puerulus occur?: a review

Spiny Lobster Ecology and exploitation in the South China Sea region

Spiny lobster-fishery in Palawan, Philippines: with considerations on its conservation and management

Spiny Lobsters: Fisheries and Culture (Second Edition)

Spiny Lobsters September 1961 Fishery Leaflet 523

Starvation and Recovery Ability of phyllosoma of the Tropical Spiny Lobsters (Panulirus ornatus) and (P. homarus) in Captivity

Status of rock lobster farming  in Southeast Asia and opportunity for Australia and New Zealand

Stocking density and shelter type for the optimal growth and survival of western rock lobster Panulirus cygnus

Sunrise release of larvae from the palinurid rock lobster Jasus edwardsii

TAA Lobster Market Overview

Technical Potential for Rock Lobster Propagation in Aquaculture Systems

Temperature and Salinity Tolerances of the Tropical Spiny Lobster, Panulirus ornatus

The Achilles heel for spiny lobsters: the energetics of the non-feeding post-larval stage

THE COMPLETE DEVELOPMENT OF LARVAL CARIBBEAN SPINY LOBSTER PANULIRUS ARGUS (LATREILLE, 1804) IN CULTURE

The Complete Idiots Guide to Composting

The early phyllosoma stages of spiny lobster (Panulirus echinatus) Smith, 1869 (Decapoda Palinuridae) reared in the laboratory

The Ecology of Spiny Lobsters (Jasus edwardsii) on Fished and Unfished Reefs

The effect of climate change on the western rock lobster (Panulirus cygnus) fishery of Western Australia

The Effect of Disinfection on Survival and Feed Quality of Rotifers (Brachionus Plicatilis) and Brine Shrimp (Artemia Sallina)

The Effect of Male Size and Spermatophore Characteristics on Reproduction in the Caribbean Spiny Lobster, Panulirus argus

The effect of ozonation on the survival, growth and microbiology of the European lobster (Homarus gammarus)

The effect of predator prey density and water dynamics on feed intake and growth in spiny lobster larvae (Jasus edwardsii)

The effect of temperature on the incubation of eggs of the tropical rock lobster Panulirus ornatus

The effect of trap type and water depth on puerulus settlement in the spiny lobster aquaculture industry in Indonesia

The Effects of Dietary Essential Fatty Acid Enrichment on the Nutrition and Condition of Red King CRAB (Paralithodes Camtschaticus) Larvae

The effects of different routes of inulin administration on gut microbiota and survival rate of Indian white shrimp post-larvae (Fenneropenaeus indicus)

The effects of trap fisheries on the populations of Caribbean spiny lobster and reef fish species at the Saba Bank

The efficacy of dietary yeast mannan Oligosaccharide on growth and survival rate in (Amphiprion ocellaris) fingerlings

The feasibility of aquaculture, aquaponics and a lobster hatchery in Amble

The Fisheries of Central Visayas, Philippines : Status and Trends

The Healthy Aquarium – Essential Advice and All Aspects of Aquarium Care

The Indo-Pacific Lobster Panulirus onatus (Rustacea Decapoda) A New Lessepsian Migrant to the Eastern Mediterranean

The life History of the Carribean Spiny Lobster, Panulirus Argus

The Lobster Newsletter - Volume 25, Number 1: April 2012

The minute monogonont rotifer (Proales similis) de Beauchamp Culture and feeding to small mouth marine fish larvae

The Pelagic Phase of Spiny Lobster Development

The Perfect Protein

THE PHILIPPINE FISHERIES CODE OF 1998 (RA No. 8550)

THE PHYLLOSOMA LARVAE OF THE SPINY LOBSTER PANULIRUS ARGUSl

The Potential Environmental Impacts from Spiny Lobster Aquaculture in Sea-cages

The Second Hatchery Feeds and Technology Workshop

The Secret Life of Lobsters How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean (P.S.)

The Solar Food Dryer Cheap. Simple. Easy to operate. The fuel is free

THE STATE OF WORLD FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE (2010)

The Urban Aquaponics Manual (2nd Edition) – How to Grow Fish and Planys in Your Backyard!

The Urban Aguaponics Manual – Growing Fish and Plants  in Your Own Backyards

THE WITHAM COLLECORS TO INCREASE PRODUCTION IN LOBSTER (PANULIRUS ARGUS) MARICULTURE

Thirty-Ninth Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries 1906 Fisheries

Towards the development of a protocol for rearing juvenile rock lobster, (Jasus lalandii)

Trevor Corson - The Secret Life of Lobsters - How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unravelling the Mysteries of Our Favourite Crustacean (2004)

Tropical rock lobster aquaculture development - the next 10 years

Tropical rock lobster aquaculture development in Vietnam, Indonesia and Australia

Unama’kik Jakejue’ka’timk Food, Social, and Ceremonial Lobster Fishery Management Plan for Unama’ki 2007-2008

Use of lipofuscin for resolving cohorts of western rock lobster (Panulirus cygnus)

Use of microspheres, fresh and microbound diets to ascertain dietary path, component size, and digestive gland functioning in phyllosoma of the spiny lobster (Panulirus ornatus)

Vietnam Fisheries and Aquaculture Sector Study

What is the Difference Between Lobsters and Crayfish?

Workbook to Accompany Woodworking

WSSV - White Spot Syndrome Virus

Zooplankton biodiveristy in Southeast Asia An overview

Zooplankton spatial abundance and distribution in the West Bay of Laguna de Bay (Philippines) with notes on potential implications of food and health security

Zooplankton – Wandering Animals

BOOKS:

Advances in Aquaculture Hatchery Technology

A Fishery Manager’s Guidebook

A Photographic Atlas of Marine Biology

Aquaculture - Farming Aquatic Animals and Plants (2nd Ed)

Aquaculture Engineering (2nd Ed)

Aquaculture Principles and Practices (2nd Ed)

Atlas of Crustacean Larvae

Decapod Crustacean Phylogenetics

Encyclopaedia of AquaCulture

Feed and Feeding Practices in Aquaculture

Fisheries and Aquaculture in the Modern World

Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia, A Gide to Identification

The Urban Aquaponics Manual (2nd Ed)

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• 5 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Two local fishermen brought their nightly catch to our island were we are building the lobster hatchery here in the Surigao city area of the Philippines. They were hoping we had some empty plastic 1.5 litre soda bottles that they could use to hold Mantis Shrimps they had caught during their nights' fishing. They take a plastic drinking or soda bottle and cut a long slit down its side allowing the fishermen to slip the Mantis Shrimp through the slit. This safely contains the individual, and a thin rope can be easily threaded through the neck of the bottles to tie them together as they are dipped into the seawater. This helps keep the Mantis Shrimp healthy while it is being transported. This was a great opportunity to take a video of these specimens up close as well as observe how the local fishermen handle them in preparation for transport to the local wet market.

The video also shows a rare female specimen which can be easily identified from the males by the distinctive red stripe which extends the length of her back. The primary defense and attack used by a Mantis Shrimp is their distinctive powerful forward claws; which they use to stun, spear, and dismember their prey. The Mantis Shrimp can throw the fastest punch of any animal on the planet striking with the force of a rifle bullet. This strike is delivered with such speed (under three thousandths of a second)  that it produces  a shock-wave of cavitation bubbles, which is so intense that it can actually stun and even kill their intended prey even if they miss initially with their claw-strike. As the shock-wave of cavitation bubbles implodes it produces sonoluminescence (light sparks). The clubbed end of their crooked arm accelerates up to 10,000 times the force of gravity, and can pit a stainless steel boat propeller.  So wearing gloves will provide you little protect from possible injury if you are careless, so you must use caution when handling these tasty little sea bugs at all time.

The strike force delivered by a 4 inch Mantis Shrimp, being held In captivity, actually punch a hole through ¼ inch aquarium glass. Now consider handling an individual 12-14 inches as it could easily punch through deep into bone. So it is wise to respect the Mantis Shrimp while handling, because they are a lot faster than you, and they have earned the enduring name ‘’thumb splitter’’ for a reason. Notice that these fishermen will not hesitate to drop a mantis shrimp if they believe they can be struck, as it is much easier to be cautious and just wait to pick them back up to finish the task.

They are also called "sea locusts" and "prawn killers". The price of Mantis Shrimp is about half that of lobster, though they have a reputation among the locals as actually being more flavorful than lobster. Mantis Shrimp are well suited for ‘’grow-out’’ aquaculture.  

• Hmm thinking 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

The last couple of days I have been cutting lengths of bamboo to build a floating lobster grow-out platform which will house a (6meter x 6meter x 2meter) net enclosure which will have bamboo walkways surrounding the new enclosure. With luck it will be completed in the next three weeks, and I will be making a Youtube video of this project showing from from beginning thru completion. which I will add to the thread once completed.

0.png.2e2b484b3ff08319160c3e5df30851fa.png

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I have been asked before what is the difference between aquaculture and mariculture? This is because both terms which may confuse readers. Aquaculture is the rearing of aquatic species primarily for a market. Take a goldfish for example, if you raise goldfish as a hobby your a goldfish enthusiast who decides to breed goldfish and raise them to sell to other goldfish enthusiast, you are just still a goldfish enthusiast whose hobby got a little out of hand but you are doing aquaculture. And if you buy goldfish fingerlings and raise them to adult size then you are probably a pet store owner who really sucks at selling goldfish fingerlings, but it is still aquaculture..  .

Now when dealing with a market fish like catfish if you are breeding them in a hatchery and rearing them to market size that is aquaculture, or if you are buying catfish fingerlings and then raising them to market size that is also aquaculture. But when dealing with saltwater market species this is different: if you are breeding milkfish in a hatchery this is referred to as mariculture, and if you purchase milkfish fingerlings and then raise them to market price this is aquaculture. So a lobster hatchery is mariculture, where as a freshwater cray hatchery is aquaculture. This is why I use the term mariculture when discussing the lobster hatchery, and why I use the term aquaculture when discussing lobster 'grow-out'. They are really just the same thing and are different only in the name termed to that particular activity.

I have also been asked what is the current price 'grow-out' operators are receiving from the buyers. This is always a sliding scale but at the time of this post:

Sub-adults 500gram to 700gram ----------- 3,200php (per kilo)

Adults 700gram to 1,000grams ------- 3,400php (per kilo)

Adults above 1,000grams ---------------- 3,600php (per Kilo)

Note: (1 kilogram = 1,000grams)

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is the final draft of the 22 page Feasibility Study which I wrote for the (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (DA-BFAR). There is quite a bit of information on the hatchery project and the island layout, as well as the Philippine 'grow-out' aquacultural industry. Perhaps some of the readers may find this information of interest.

Cover Art.jpg

Feasibility Study - finished draft (Short-size) Submit Ready.pdf

(Clink link  above to download PDF file)

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I decided to split this thread because of the next three projects I am working presently working on. These projects are a bamboo floating lobster 'grow-out' net which will be the first of several that I will probably be constructing this year. A prototype PVC floating pueruli/juvenile 'grow-out' net cage which will be the first of many which will be used in the saltwater pond behind the facility. And three types of pueruli trap setups used to live-capture seed stock (fingerlings).

This should allow the photos, videos and written information to be better organized while helping to avoid the subjects from overlapping, this is to make the different topics easier to be followed rather than being scattered among the information contained in this thread. This will also allow the information pertaining directly to the lobster hatchery project to be easier followed once the construction starts back up in the next couple of months. Then there will be multiple projects being worked on at the same time for the next two to three years, which certainly clutter the thread and make the information which will be discussed in the new thread to be hard to follow. 

• Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to tell you I find your post very informative and enjoy reading all the updates. Keep it up my friend. And kudos on not only living here but trying to make it better for all those that do.

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, marine6357 said:

Just wanted to tell you I find your post very informative and enjoy reading all the updates. Keep it up my friend. And kudos on not only living here but trying to make it better for all those that do.

Thank you. I write the types of threads to give expats ideas they may try to pursue. There are so many expats who own farmland or have property near or own lakes, river-ways or near the ocean who are seeking ventures they can start that will generate additional revenue streams. Some may be simply hobbyist looking for ideas to keep them occupied, or trying to find ideas for their in-laws to help keep them out of their hair. I wish this forum had a farm and gardening section as I have over 30 years experience as a commercial horticulturist and a strong background in botany, biology, agriculture and aquaculture in tropical and subtropical environments. I retired at age 50 and moved here to Surigao and only after a couple of years I realized that retirements sucks. 

I am lucky that my particular skill-sets adapt quite well here and I tend to always keep myself busy. This hatchery has so many facets that it keeps me preoccupied with research on a myriad of different subjects and topics. So as I start on each project I enjoy taking photos and writing about the progress in a step-by-step format. I figure that if someone has wanted to start similar projects that the treads can give them an idea what it will take to do so. Perhaps they can say, ''Hell I can do that, in fact I can even do that better.''         

• Like 1