Zamboanga

Apache8
Posted
Posted

Have heard conflicting views of Zamboanga concerning kidnapping, and other safety concerns. Would like to visit, but not certain if it is safe to vacation there for a few days. Is there anyone who lives there that can provide a personal perspective?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Are you asking about the city or a particular area? Most lump the whole island of Mindinao into the same thought pattern.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Apache8 said:

Have heard conflicting views of Zamboanga concerning kidnapping, and other safety concerns. Would like to visit, but not certain if it is safe to vacation there for a few days. Is there anyone who lives there that can provide a personal perspective?

What's your reason for going there? For me it would have to be quite compelling. Even on Mindanao there are safer places.

Surigao Cloud 9 for surfing is a favored Aussie destination.

Cagayan de Oro has been a retirement destination for Aussies.

Both places have had incidents. Kidnapping's and bombings. So if I say they are safe I would be stretching the point. They are fairly safe but not 100%. Same with Zamboanga.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would highly recommend to NOT go there. My wife is from Zamboanga City and I have been there many a time (stayed there almost 7 years). The situation there was getting better with the US Military presence, but since they have departed it has gradually deteriorated. Murders are up, kidnappings are up, extortion is up. Even a lot of my filipino friends there are looking to move elsewhere.

Just last week they caught two Abu Sayaf http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/filipino-security-units-arrest-2-abu-sayyaf-militants-zamboanga-city-1585402 and the City cut off all cell service in the area for several hours to mitigate bomb threats their festival http://mindanaoexaminer.com/due-to-terror-threats-cell-phone-communication-shutdown-in-zamboanga-city/

Myself, I will not go back there unless it is for something extremely important (i.e a funeral) and even then I will fly in the first flight and fly out the last flight the same day. I have been targeted in the past and would have to hire personal security even for that day trip. The wife completely understands why I won't go there to visit her family.

• Like 3

Apache8
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you asking about the city or a particular area? Most lump the whole island of Mindinao into the same thought pattern.

Plan to go to Tawi Tawi

• Like 1

Apache8
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, chris49 said:

What's your reason for going there? For me it would have to be quite compelling. Even on Mindanao there are safer places.

Surigao Cloud 9 for surfing is a favored Aussie destination.

Cagayan de Oro has been a retirement destination for Aussies.

Both places have had incidents. Kidnapping's and bombings. So if I say they are safe I would be stretching the point. They are fairly safe but not 100%. Same with Zamboanga.

I have an ex-wife who is trying to keep me from leaving, and said she would have me killed. Tried to get on a plane in Cebu but they said I could not, but did not know the reason except there is a hold order. Have son who is staying with my sister in America, whom I have full custody and has been without me for 16 months. I have to get home to my son. he will be 12 years old this month and this is his second birthday I will miss.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

WTF,are we men or kin mice get the freaking thing sorted No one needs to be a captive, Unless people are hiding things:89:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Apache8 said:

Plan to go to Tawi Tawi

Tawi Tawi? 

Not under any circumstances.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Apache8 said:

I have an ex-wife who is trying to keep me from leaving, and said she would have me killed. Tried to get on a plane in Cebu but they said I could not, but did not know the reason except there is a hold order. Have son who is staying with my sister in America, whom I have full custody and has been without me for 16 months. I have to get home to my son. he will be 12 years old this month and this is his second birthday I will miss.

Hang on please.

A hold order is issued by the DOI.  Per current guidelines a hold order cannot be issued without a court order. So you must have had a summons? Or you had a summons or an order to appear at DOI and you ignored it? Or you didn't know about it.

So you tried to board an international flight in Cebu? Well if you need to get away but can't leave the country a boat to Bohol would be the first step.

So Apache8 obviously you have a legal issue. And it is possible you don't want to post it here.

Call ACS at the US Embassy for advice. They can't do anything per se. But they could advise you.

The bit about your son's birthday is unfortunate. But it has nothing to do with your problem.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Hang on please.

A hold order is issued by the DOI.  Per current guidelines a hold order cannot be issued without a court order. So you must have had a summons? Or you had a summons or an order to appear at DOI and you ignored it? Or you didn't know about it.

So you tried to board an international flight in Cebu? Well if you need to get away but can't leave the country a boat to Bohol would be the first step.

So Apache8 obviously you have a legal issue. And it is possible you don't want to post it here.

Call ACS at the US Embassy for advice. They can't do anything per se. But they could advise you.

The bit about your son's birthday is unfortunate. But it has nothing to do with your problem.

After looking at a map, it sounds like he thinks he can get out of the country from Tawi Tawi.  I'm with Chris.  Seek legal or Embassy assistance ASAP!

• Like 1