Guy on a bike new to PI

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted

Hi new to forum. 

Im leaving the US in June. Moving onto a bike and going to spent a few years seeing the world. Bike as in peddles not motor. I've never been to PI but know areas of SE Asia well. I have a few questions. Love to chat offline or in forum. Mostly I don't know what to expect from infrastructure / customs...  The types of questions are below  

I tend to camp when easy and cheap accomidations are not available. Mostly in a hammoc that is quite hard to spot when set up.

Question is does this behavior (hidden hammoc with Anglo asleep) constituents a crime, or likely to provoke problems? 

Do most rural villages have power? 

Is it easy to eat 3 meals someone else cooks, on a typical road over a typical 80 mile day? Places open mostly for lunch and din like Thailand? 

Ive heard that some southern islands may not be welcoming to Anglo non Islamic people. 

Can I expect to travel between (few, some, most) islands with a big bike and 25lb of gear;  on anything that is not one of those tiny motorized canoe death traps? 

Advice, people, and warm showers are welcome contacts and info. Also, being from Oregon, I kind of like the easy access to fabulous recreational (legal) weed. Is there more often joy or jail for green seekers in PI? Can I mail folks a care package? I never thought I would live to see the day

thanks in advance, I'm leaving in late '17 and am a licensed electrician, plumber, and mechanical engineer. I'm happy to do some work for food and hot water; but it's got to be quick and dirty. I don't want a job and not going to peddle many tools all over the world. Thanks in advance  

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Do not bring weed or use it while you are in the Philippines. The new President has a war on drugs here and weed is illegal. It not something you want to play with here unless you want to see the inside of a Philippine prison. There is alot of information on the web they will help you out alot also check out youtube there is alot of info there but be openminded when it comes to some of the information that you will pick up. I'm sure other members will give some advice on your other questions. Have a great time and remember this is a 3rd world country and things do happen.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

One or two keen cyclist's on the forum will no doubt give you advice on safety whilst travelling on the roads here.

As for the any other information, as stated, read the forum, also suggest you watch the news before you come.You will be entering a Duterte Zone, surely you must of read/watched world news! :ohmy:

Glad you made it this far :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bicycle diplomat said:

I'm from Portland and just sent you a message. As was already said, please don't consider weed or any other drugs there. You don't want to learn about the Philippines judicial system from the inside. Nothing to do with Pres. Duterte, I would have said the same thing before his election.

Your electrical skills will not get you a job, even of the quick and dirty variety. 

However, the Philippines is pretty backpacker friendly and places like Pension Houses are cheap and common. 

Have fun!

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Frankly I think you would be insane to try this in the Philippines :hystery:. Living rough and just biking around the country? Hammoc between trees? :Caught:.

Now that said, if a guy wants to bike town to town there are small motels (called apartlettes here) where you can rent a room for 6-8 hours for 5-10 USD. Eating? nothing simpler, if you eat local almost everyplace you go you will see folks just sitting outside their houses with a chaffing dish of food.

I am sure our member Chris would disagree, but the driving habits of Filipinos would make me think 3 times before riding a bike any distance here. Law of averages are bound to catch up with you.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Some good advice here, hope you heed it.

• Like 3

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted (edited)

An emphatic agreement to stay away from any drug usage, even if it "only" weed. Google Duterte and drug user/dealer killings. It is quite literally Open Season on ANYONE using or selling drugs. They, both the cops and civilians have killed nearly 4,000 people in just the last few months, gunning them down in the streets, no questions asked and no investigation as to the reason. You may not live long enough to see the inside of RP jail.

Search on this forum for Mindanao and Safety. Pay attention to the warnings and dangers.

Yes, the drivers in the RP are horrible. But, if you have biked around SEA, Vietnam/Cambodia, etc. then you should be well aware of the dangers of being a cyclist in these environs.

Edited by northtoalaska
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
On 20/10/2016 at 11:25 AM, bicycle diplomat said:

Hi new to forum. 

Im leaving the US in June. Moving onto a bike and going to spent a few years seeing the world. Bike as in peddles not motor. I've never been to PI but know areas of SE Asia well. I have a few questions. Love to chat offline or in forum. Mostly I don't know what to expect from infrastructure / customs...  The types of questions are below  

I tend to camp when easy and cheap accomidations are not available. Mostly in a hammoc that is quite hard to spot when set up.

Question is does this behavior (hidden hammoc with Anglo asleep) constituents a crime, or likely to provoke problems? 

Do most rural villages have power? 

Is it easy to eat 3 meals someone else cooks, on a typical road over a typical 80 mile day? Places open mostly for lunch and din like Thailand? 

Ive heard that some southern islands may not be welcoming to Anglo non Islamic people. 

Can I expect to travel between (few, some, most) islands with a big bike and 25lb of gear;  on anything that is not one of those tiny motorized canoe death traps? 

Advice, people, and warm showers are welcome contacts and info. Also, being from Oregon, I kind of like the easy access to fabulous recreational (legal) weed. Is there more often joy or jail for green seekers in PI? Can I mail folks a care package? I never thought I would live to see the day

thanks in advance, I'm leaving in late '17 and am a licensed electrician, plumber, and mechanical engineer. I'm happy to do some work for food and hot water; but it's got to be quick and dirty. I don't want a job and not going to peddle many tools all over the world. Thanks in advance  

I ride bikes and race MTB's. I have a history in road bike racing and triathlon. But MTB is currently the go here. I saw probably 50-60 bikes out this AM over 72-73 km...with a meal break. I saw one road bike usually don't see any.

I would like to answer fully but we are just out of a Signal 4 Typhoon. I have a lot to catch up on.

You could eat incredibly well on the road in a days travel especially the earlier meals breakfast and lunch. Remote places close early here so the evening meal might be more difficult...good if you take it early.

$10 USD per day would leave you well fed. That's solo. If you get with a companion things can escalate rapidly.

By tomorrow I can give you a more detailed answer.

• Like 1

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted
On October 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Ram1957 said:

Do not bring weed or use it while you are in the Philippines. The new President has a war on drugs here and weed is illegal. It not something you want to play with here unless you want to see the inside of a Philippine prison. There is alot of information on the web they will help you out alot also check out youtube there is alot of info there but be openminded when it comes to some of the information that you will pick up. I'm sure other members will give some advice on your other questions. Have a great time and remember this is a 3rd world country and things do happen.

Hello and thanks so much for the warm welcome. My phone went swimming hours after I posted; it's still thinking about rejoining me but at present is hanging with some rice chilling. I've been a bit slow to respond. I'll try to keep up lol. Sounds like green is out. So goes life. I have access today and will try to respond today as I have a chance. Thanks again 

• Like 1

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted
On October 20, 2016 at 3:44 PM, scott h said:

Frankly I think you would be insane to try this in the Philippines :hystery:. Living rough and just biking around the country? Hammoc between trees? :Caught:.

Now that said, if a guy wants to bike town to town there are small motels (called apartlettes here) where you can rent a room for 6-8 hours for 5-10 USD. Eating? nothing simpler, if you eat local almost everyplace you go you will see folks just sitting outside their houses with a chaffing dish of food.

I am sure our member Chris would disagree, but the driving habits of Filipinos would make me think 3 times before riding a bike any distance here. Law of averages are bound to catch up with you.

The way the stealth camping has worked best in the US is simply off the road out of sight. I prefer warm showers and cheap accomidation said but I like to travel with General direction of travel vs trying to connect for of evening accomidations.hammoc is a very comfy bivouac. 

Glad to hear about food and apartlets. That is the kind of thing makes a country much easier to visit.