Guy on a bike new to PI

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted

One of the things about throwing up a hammock that each country and local can do differently, one of the things I don't have a feel for, might be described as the intersection of property laws and local constabulary.

If the news about police activities and attitudes extends out of the major cities (I like to avoid cities) into the backwoods dirt and coastline that I like... Hammock in tree may not be socially acceptable. Some countries have property laws which are enforced with more vigor and some places don't accomidate the concept of public lands. That cultural feel of how welcoming a country and locality are to my preferred travel methods is what interests me. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Read the threads on Dengue fever and there are a few other nasty bugs about. I had some bug bites that I received in a night and they were infected in the morning and I had to cut the about 6mm deep and clean them out before they would heal. I hope this posts, something odd is going on.

chris49
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bicycle diplomat said:

One of the things about throwing up a hammock that each country and local can do differently, one of the things I don't have a feel for, might be described as the intersection of property laws and local constabulary.

If the news about police activities and attitudes extends out of the major cities (I like to avoid cities) into the backwoods dirt and coastline that I like... Hammock in tree may not be socially acceptable. Some countries have property laws which are enforced with more vigor and some places don't accomidate the concept of public lands. That cultural feel of how welcoming a country and locality are to my preferred travel methods is what interests me. 

Traveling remote I don't think you will run into problems with the law. I think you will however in this case notice a distinct lack of facilities. Hot running water or any running water is going to be non existent out of the city.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
On 20/10/2016 at 11:25 AM, bicycle diplomat said:

Hi new to forum. 

Im leaving the US in June. Moving onto a bike and going to spent a few years seeing the world. Bike as in peddles not motor. I've never been to PI but know areas of SE Asia well. I have a few questions. Love to chat offline or in forum. Mostly I don't know what to expect from infrastructure / customs...  The types of questions are below  

I tend to camp when easy and cheap accomidations are not available. Mostly in a hammoc that is quite hard to spot when set up.

Question is does this behavior (hidden hammoc with Anglo asleep) constituents a crime, or likely to provoke problems? 

Do most rural villages have power? 

Is it easy to eat 3 meals someone else cooks, on a typical road over a typical 80 mile day? Places open mostly for lunch and din like Thailand? 

Ive heard that some southern islands may not be welcoming to Anglo non Islamic people. 

Can I expect to travel between (few, some, most) islands with a big bike and 25lb of gear;  on anything that is not one of those tiny motorized canoe death traps? 

Advice, people, and warm showers are welcome contacts and info. Also, being from Oregon, I kind of like the easy access to fabulous recreational (legal) weed. Is there more often joy or jail for green seekers in PI? Can I mail folks a care package? I never thought I would live to see the day

thanks in advance, I'm leaving in late '17 and am a licensed electrician, plumber, and mechanical engineer. I'm happy to do some work for food and hot water; but it's got to be quick and dirty. I don't want a job and not going to peddle many tools all over the world. Thanks in advance  

25 lb in my opinion is one hell of a load on these back roads. The Philippines overall is quite hilly. I am an experienced cyclist riding a 29'er MTB. I sometimes ride home from the supermarket in Vigan 13 km..26 km round trip with maybe 20 lbs or less and that is plenty. Otherwise I do 100 km rides on the weekends with no pack and no problem.

As far as safety I would be wrong to say it's 100% safe.

But I go off on secondary roads a lot and I sometimes see only a few motorcyles and a few working buffalo dragging loads. I met with an accident riding solo and was calling for help and did not get a response. I was in a ditch with the bike on top of me trying to figure out how to lift it and get up. I was not injured. I actually laid there for 15 mins until someone passed by and lifted the bike from above.

When I ride on the National Highway I ride on the shoulder. Even if unpaved because it's good training. It takes quite a bit of skill and it's not for a novice. For me it's safe but in saying that there are risks attached.

You wont find work in the situation you describe. Plumbing and electrical work requires building materials. The places you are going wont have a budget for that. Even without pay I think it's negative.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think it takes fortitude to attempt bicycling around Philippines rural areas but if I was younger, more ambitious, and in shape I would give it a try.

There are lots of backpackers who find places to set up a sleeping bag for cheap.  Not for free as all the land is owned or claimed by someone and that person will usually want compensation if a foreigner wants to sleep there.  But if you are just slinging a hammock then about 5 bucks would be fair for a night.  That is just my opinion based on what backpackers have paid.

When you start talking to the backpackers there are many who will brag about how they partake in the herb with no problems.  And if they keep their mouths shut and don't get caught then they usually get lucky.  I wouldn't do it though.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Electricity is fairly common, your access to it will be uncommon as it is expensive.

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, chris49 said:

Traveling remote I don't think you will run into problems with the law. I think you will however in this case notice a distinct lack of facilities. Hot running water or any running water is going to be non existent out of the city.

That is funny, as the only thing I want for in travels, and the thing eliminated from my bag is cooking and stove items. Hot water will be missed and treasured all the more. Sorry to hear that hot water is that hard to find. I'll skip eating or munch day old food any time to avoid carrying stove and kitchen. 

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, chris49 said:

25 lb in my opinion is one hell of a load on these back roads. The Philippines overall is quite hilly. I am an experienced cyclist riding a 29'er MTB. I sometimes ride home from the supermarket in Vigan 13 km..26 km round trip with maybe 20 lbs or less and that is plenty. Otherwise I do 100 km rides on the weekends with no pack and no problem.

As far as safety I would be wrong to say it's 100% safe.

But I go off on secondary roads a lot and I sometimes see only a few motorcyles and a few working buffalo dragging loads. I met with an accident riding solo and was calling for help and did not get a response. I was in a ditch with the bike on top of me trying to figure out how to lift it and get up. I was not injured. I actually laid there for 15 mins until someone passed by and lifted the bike from above.

When I ride on the National Highway I ride on the shoulder. Even if unpaved because it's good training. It takes quite a bit of skill and it's not for a novice. For me it's safe but in saying that there are risks attached.

You wont find work in the situation you describe. Plumbing and electrical work requires building materials. The places you are going wont have a budget for that. Even without pay I think it's negative.

So work is out, that is great. I was really fretting over carrying trade tools. The last post saw me less cooking and stove. If I'm out the few trade tools I did not want to bring anyway. I'm getting much closer to 15-18 lbs. the hammock, rain tarp for bike and hammock and pad are under 5 lbs. I'm a travel light guy and things never get much lighter than 15. 

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted

i havent even started researching mosquito issues. on my list and I have time. The tent I use comes with fabulous netting and I plan on soaking the whole mass in pyretheran from time to time. How does the expat community deal with mosquito vectors? Malaria? Zitka virus?

bicycle diplomat
Posted
Posted

One of the things I was hopeful to hear about was the island to island travel. Think of trying to move a very light mini bike around. Any advice? 

• Like 1