Guy on a bike new to PI

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bicycle diplomat said:

One of the things I was hopeful to hear about was the island to island travel. Think of trying to move a very light mini bike around. Any advice? 

Best guess. You could take it on a Bangka. A sort of motorized catamaran. Probably offer a few hundred pesos for them handling it.

Referring back to an earlier question. if you are sleeping remote off the main road I think no one will disturb you. No charge. But no facilities either. If you wanted a bath for example. You might find someone with a well and you pay them eg 100 pesos. Not more than that.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you plan your route you can use the Ro-Ros (roll on roll off ferries), otherwise you will likely find find smaller ports with banca boats. (I believe you referred to them as death trap canoes).   On the larger islands you will find medium sized ferries that would easily handle a bike.  But... many people put their motorcycles on the banca boats... so it works (we just got a new local ordinance against it, though).

The sleeping in the hammock would not be a problem most places.  The law would not care, and most people will leave you alone. Probably safer than in the US - and certainly less legal hassles.

I used to be an avid cyclist, back in my Navy days I had my bike on the ship and rode all over the South Pacific (on land only ha ha).  I never took my bike out in the PIs because it has always had some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.  The roads are horrid and crowded.  I would feel safe backpacking around the PIs but would not personally ride a bike, except on the back roads.

If you stay along the main roads you should find electricity most places, as long as there are houses and small shops. As others have said, hot water - not so much.  Unless you pay someone to heat some water for your bucket shower...  :tiphat:

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Hammock, tent and now solar and bike generator? You must have an interesting and expensive looking load of equipment. I hope you have an equally interesting way to secure all of it. Anything that does get lost is going to be difficult and probably very expensive to replace in the Philippines, virtually everything imported is expensive. Sometimes people's 50 peso (when new) flip flops disappear, just saying.

Coming from a cool to moderate climate, sweat is probably going to pour out of you and I expect you are going to spend a considerable sum on bottled water every day as you shouldn't drink the stream or tap water. Don't drink service water in a restaurant unless you see where it came from. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, robert k said:

Coming from a cool to moderate climate, sweat is probably going to pour out of you and I expect you are going to spend a considerable sum on bottled water every day as you shouldn't drink the stream or tap water. Don't drink service water in a restaurant unless you see where it came from. 

Good advice about the water - that's one point often overlooked. Many of the roadside sari sari stores / eateries also have dispensers where you can refill your own bottle (you see the locals filling plastic baggies); cheap as hell. 

The people here are very hospitable and friendly so I doubt the OP would have many problems, especially out in the provinces. The shops, road side eateries and sari sari's that do have electricity will allow you to plug in to recharge a cell phone. I've done it many times as I've biked round the islands (that's on a motor cycle though, lol) and I always give them a few pesos for the electric. 

In addition to the appartellette's someone else mentioned, there's also plenty of pension houses that are very cheap to stay in. Usually they have shared toilet's / showers (separate for boys/girls), but at least it's somewhere to clean up.

Safety always a concern - and not just your own personal safety. If it's not bolted down it's likely to grow legs, so take the appropriate precautions.  

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

This type of adventuring is way above my comfort zone. 

And I hope you continue to update us on your ventures. 

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

I would like to point out that (in Luzon anyway) if they charge you for toilet it's usually clean. Shell gas stations usually have the best CR(rest room). Truck stops also offer showers. Not all, but the ones I've been. Oh, and don't forget to bring soap, hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
Thommy
Posted
Posted
On 10/23/2016 at 6:16 AM, bicycle diplomat said:

One of the things I was hopeful to hear about was the island to island travel. Think of trying to move a very light mini bike around. Any advice? 

Hello Bicycle Diplomat,

Don't know if your still in OR or in PI by now but just to let you know, it's no problem jumping around from Island to Island, just board a ferry with your bike in tow and you are golden bro! I've been reading some of your posts, sounds like a great adventure and I know the heat will be BRUTAL for a while if you go forward with your plans here, but the human body can acclimate to extremes so I feel it is possible but you may want to do most of your riding early morning and closer to the evening time. As for 'hamocking' string it up in as cool [airy and shady] spot as you can find and if you are tired enough, you will find sleep. I predict you'll be buying most of your water, as for food? Just like backpacking, carry it or take a convenient resto stop to top it off, eat like a local for cheap and there's plenty of real food around, not processed crap!

If and when you try this and your ever in my area, let me know, I'm always interested in meeting fellow adventurers such as yourself! Just to let you know, I lived in the scenic state of Oregon a few years back and really enjoyed some of my time spent there!

PS: as long as the tires don't melt off your bike, you're gonna be fine, hehe! Right on!

• Like 3

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

Warm showers,   get used to a dipper and cold water.      Bicycle.     Make sure you have really good travel insurance.    Weed.   Just make sure you have a good supply of vaseline, the old crims will love a young white partner to keep their nights happy.  

• Like 2