How Much For Beggars?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You either give to beggars in the Philippines or you don't. It's a personal choice. But if you give, should there be a minimum amount?

Yesterday, I tried to give a gypsy in Rome a few small coins. She reprimanded me for not giving a minimum One Euro. It shocked me into spending time thinking about it. She was right. A few measly coins is meaningless. In the Philippines, I would empty my pocket of coins because they are heavy. But on my next visit in 2017, should I give more? Maybe the smallest denomination paper currency. I look at it as one-on-one charity. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I normally only give when it appears that the person is not capable of earning money in any other way.  I know that some are expert in appearing to be destitute when they really are not.  Here in the provence, you get to recognize those that are really in need.  I give 5 peso, or sometimes a small quantity of food such as bread or bbq skewer.  When visiting the city I do not give to beggars.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

When I left Robinson's cybergate mall the other evening a young girl maybe 10 or more was begging with the hand out. Her clothes were well washed and more neat and tidy than mine and hair clean and brushed. A modern beggar.

Today at KFC door IT park two boys begging for money, I thought they dont have begging in the IT park?

Do I give to beggars; no as where does it stop, if you give to one they will come from every direction. Some I see just sitting on the sidewalk with a cup, at least they dont follow you down the road.

The other night walking in Ramos about 7.30, maybe 30 homeless sleeping on the sidewalk in one big group, yes l hate seeing that but what do you do? On that just a bit further down theres a girl by her self sleeping, maybe about 13 as I seen her during the day and just a moment of weakness l was tempted just to slip her a hundred peso but l though if l woke her who knows, could have screamed or caused me problems. The thing that got to me about that kid was when l seen her during the day sitting there again by herself with about 3 or so plastic bags of possessions that what hope for her life is there.

:mellow:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In Poor countries especially but also in Wealthier Countries begging is a business whether we care to Admit it or not, I don't generally give Willy Nilly but on Occasions there is that small chance it is for real but I am not silly with the amount I give

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I normally only give when it appears that the person is not capable of earning money in any other way.  I know that some are expert in appearing to be destitute when they really are not.  Here in the provence, you get to recognize those that are really in need.  I give 5 peso, or sometimes a small quantity of food such as bread or bbq skewer.  When visiting the city I do not give to beggars.

This similar to my stance as well.  Generally speaking, beggars are not allowed in Subic Bay Freeport Zone, but there are some in Olongapo.  It is rare that I get asked.  Today a little girl about 6 peered into my tinted windows and asked "money" while I was waiting for my wife with my two little girls.  It was heartbreaking to wave her off but I know that she is probably giving the money to someone who does not deserve it, and giving her something just keeps the problem going.

I give to cripples, etc., who can not earn any other way.  Sometimes to very elderly who obviously can't work.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You either give to beggars in the Philippines or you don't. It's a personal choice. But if you give, should there be a minimum amount?

Yesterday, I tried to give a gypsy in Rome a few small coins. She reprimanded me for not giving a minimum One Euro. It shocked me into spending time thinking about it. She was right. A few measly coins is meaningless. In the Philippines, I would empty my pocket of coins because they are heavy. But on my next visit in 2017, should I give more? Maybe the smallest denomination paper currency. I look at it as one-on-one charity. 

Coins not paper money. In fact it's not a good idea to pull out paper money in a situation like that.

If a beggar as they do here approaches me in a market or food stall area. If I decide to give I indicate to them to wait. As I get my change I give a small amount 5-10 pesos. Sometimes she sends her kid back to me with his/her hand out. I note that and refuse.

In the current economy 1-2 pesos is really to small. Even the lady taking money at the market CR gets 3-5 pesos. Or 5 pesos and let her keep the change.

At the same time nothing is also appropriate. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it's not convenient to go fishing in your pocket for change.

However. I used to see this kid with a double cleft palate hanging around at a cafe asking for money. Very moving. Rather than give him money I usually gave him food at the counter....20-30 pesos but I knew he really needed it.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yesterday, I tried to give a gypsy in Rome a few small coins. She reprimanded me for not giving a minimum One Euro. It shocked me into spending time thinking about it. She was right. A few measly coins is meaningless.

I don't agree with the minimum - let alone one Euro - and certainly not to be reprimanded for it. Are you giving out of "goodness", guilt, or because you are genuinely trying to improve their life. Either way you are not obligated, so any amount you can manage seems appropriate.

My wife once told me the story of being in college, flat broke, and needing to get to school. She normally walked to school but on this day she needed to get there quicker and wanted to take the trike for 6p. She could not get anyone to give her 6p. She walked to school, crying the whole way. So sometimes even a tiny amount can help someone.

• Like 2