Recommend a car

robert k
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

They were in the US from 1983 until discontinued in 2012. Do you know why the 5 year gap?

I had a 1998, 2001, 2002 Ford Rangers. In 2010 Rangers were actually selling for more than a comparable F-150. Where I lived you could talk a salesman way down on an F-150 but they wouldn't budge on a Ranger. I think Ford wanted to put everyone in a F-150. If they eliminated the choice of a Ranger you'd have to buy an F-150?  

I personally switched to Nissan and had two of their Frontier crew cabs, one excellent and the other was a lemon.

No surprises from Toyotas I have owned.

I'm willing to try the Kia k2700 because it's a commecial diesel 1-1/4 ton truck.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

All of the above Mogo,,imho. Here I have found it to be just the opposite of in the States where you never buy a used car from friends or family. Because of the language barrier at times it is really hard to get detailed info and if info is wrong go back to the seller for recompense. (unless your wife or girlfriend is a certified mechanic :hystery:)

I bought my brother in laws car and have not had any problems. For me, I would either buy new with all the warranties or from someone I trusted completely. Anyway, that's what I did, and it worked for me.:thumbsup:

Thanks Steve,

For me buying a new car is not viable due to the loss of resale value.  I bought a 'repo' here in Pattaya from a 'dealer'/backyarder and it had 8k on the clock, in top shape, every extra on it for 150k below new price, it was 6 months old.  Still have it, in 2 years, I have done another 8k in the car, as I usually ride my bike around Pattaya, too much traffic.  So spending new car prices does not seem logical for me.

That is why I would look for something 3-4 years old, low ks, etc. I have seen a couple of websites by 'private' sellers (not always the case as we know), prices are lower there in Phils than here.

I worked in car industry in Oz for some years, so know a lot of the pitfalls but a different game over there.  SO can be the translater and I will try and find someone where I can get the car inspected etc.  Title is my concern mainly. Don't want someone knocking on my door a few months later, taking the car away.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

They were in the US from 1983 until discontinued in 2012. Do you know why the 5 year gap?

Declining sales  - of 6 or 7 other lite truck models on the market at the time the F-100 Ranger was at the bottom. In addition the USA was in a recession, gas prices were high and the introduction of a fuel efficient 6 cylinder in the F-150 (which actually got better mileage then the F-100) led to it's demise. Ford was also pushing sales of the F-150 to keep it at the top of the pile. 

Doing a complete redesign, which is what Ford eventually did for the inernational market, is quite costly and a manufacturer typically only really makes a larger profit after the 2nd year (especially in the economy car sector - the longer it's made without any significant changes the more profitable). 

There was talk of them bring in a diesel powered Ranger about 2 years ago (I was testing them in the Arizona proving grounds), which had the potential of strong sales. But then the VW scandal broke, which tainted the market once again (remember the GM 350hp gas to diesel conversions back in the  early 80's?) so Ford scrapped the idea. 

Now however, gas prices are down and demand for mid and smaller sized SUV's are up as well as for the full sized versions of both pickups and SUV's. Marketing research indicates that there would be demand for the new Ranger and Ford is already gleaming strong profits from it's international sales, so the costs to convert to make it US compliant are relatively minor now. I should clarify that just becasue they are testing it, it's not a guarantee they will import it. 

On a side note, I do prefer something in the Phils with higher ground clearance, not necessarily a "monster" truck or something that can ford a river / flooded area, but something that I can navigate thru the many potholes / construction zones, jump high curbs with, not scrape the undercarriage on the edge of the pavement when passing another vehicle on the right (when it's turning), or have to worry too much about taking off a spoiler / front facia when pulling into a driveway (many hear have quite deep dip to them). 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Title is my concern mainly. Don't want someone knocking on my door a few months later, taking the car away.

Title and registration in the Phils is called the "OR" and "CR" (not to be confused with the Comfort Room, lol). Ask the seller if he has a "clear OR and CR". He should be able to produce them or, if there's lien against it, the lending instition should be able to produce them for your inspection.

One thing to also check is whether there are any outstanding fines or levy's against the vehicle by the LTO. You can text the license plate number to 2600 or 2660 (there's 2.50 peso charge) and you'll get a reply of the vehicle's status with them (it might take a while - so be patient). You can also get a list of available services from the LTO by texting LIST to 2660.

If you do purchase from a private seller then write up a bill of sale, also include in it that there are no outstanding liens, violations, or levy's (taxes) due. Go with the seller and have it notorized (attorney's can do it usually for just a few peso's). You may even want to do it in 3 languages (English, Bisaya and Tagalog). That way if someone comes knocking at your door you'll have a legal leg to stand on.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 5

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

A friend bought a new Toyota Wigo a few years ago. He let me borrow it for a week earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Drove it from Angeles to Subic and back. Went to Baguio with it, no problems climbing the hills. Then to Manila. AC worked great along with the build in GPS/Navigation system. This Wigo was automatic to. Your right leg will thank you after driving in Manila traffic for hours at a time!

Prices look to be reasonable as well.

http://ph.priceprice.com/Toyota-Wigo-9665/

All depends on what you want a vehicle for of course.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thanks all, seems somewhat similar to here in Thailand, but maybe they are a bit more up to date at LTO as here there is only province to province, no cross checking.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, FlyAway said:

He let me borrow it for a week earlier this year. I was pleasantly surprised by it

Then I have to make a guess that you are less than 6 foot tall :SugarwareZ-005: as I could not comfortably fit in one.  Yes I could fit well enough if I was borrowing someone else's car but not well enough to spend my money for one.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Then I have to make a guess that you are less than 6 foot tall :SugarwareZ-005: as I could not comfortably fit in one.  Yes I could fit well enough if I was borrowing someone else's car but not well enough to spend my money for one.

5'10" So I am close.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

At least you don't need power windows or door locks because you can reach them all without leaning, much.:smile:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 10/28/2016 at 1:48 AM, mogo51 said:

Thanks Steve,

For me buying a new car is not viable due to the loss of resale value.  

Looks like I am not the only one who feels rolling off the lot in a brand new car is usually a sucker's bet.

• Like 3