Recommend a car

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 10/31/2016 at 1:53 AM, johnbarley said:

Wow, there really is a huge range.

LS, LT, etc...

Seems the difference between an automatic and manual is about 70k.

And the difference between 4WD and 2WD is 300k! That can't be worth it unless you're driving off-road, right?

I noticed the dealers sometimes sell 2015 cars. Are those brand new? Did they get stuck with some at the end of the year and are still selling? Maybe that's a good place to get a deal. Also, I imagine shopping in January might be the best time since a 2015 now looks TWO  years old rather than ONE. LOL.

You need 4 wheel drive if you live up a mud track where you have no choice but to go there.

The thing is buying a "new" 2015 is the mark up in the Philippines is not that much, tax is high. The 2015 which has basically depreciated while sitting on the lot is going to go to some poor sucker who needs to save 10k php over the price of this or next years model. As soon as 2017 models hit the lot I would buy a 2016 model, not a 2015 model that has been sitting there since 2014, if you see what I mean?

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Correct Earthdome, that is the big qualifier.  Every flood in Bangkok is followed by a surge in used car sales.

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

That isn't as much of an issue in the Philippines. Cars seem to hold their resale value much better than in the west. With the reports of poor maintenance, flooded vehicles, etc. buying used is riskier in the Philippines unless of course you are a good mechanic or know one you can trust to inspect the car. Because of this I likely will buy new when we return to the Philippines.

Did you look at the numbers I posted? A 20% per year decrease in value for the first 3 years seems accurate  and identical to what you see in the US.  

Also, if as you say it's riskier to buy used in the Philippines than we'd expect the decrease in resale value to be even greater . 

So neither data nor theory support  that the value of cars are retained better here than in the US.  I don't know about other countries. Why do you say the opposite? 

Edited by johnbarley

johnbarley
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

The thing is buying a "new" 2015 is the mark up in the Philippines is not that much, tax is high. The 2015 which has basically depreciated while sitting on the lot is going to go to some poor sucker who needs to save 10k php over the price of this or next years model. As soon as 2017 models hit the lot I would buy a 2016 model, not a 2015 model that has been sitting there since 2014, if you see what I mean?

DMAX LS, 4x4, AT:

2016: 1.480M

2017: 1.570M

The 2015 is listed at 1.537. How could it be more than the 2016? I'm guessing that listing is a mistake.

So like you said the difference in price between the "new" old one and the new one is not that big. Maybe the 2016 will drop another 100k in January or February.

I see your point but don't you think the dealer keeps the 2015 indoors or in a covered area and does regular maintenance? 

Anyway, I think you might be right about the 2016 rather than 2015. Probably hard to find a 2015 "new" one anyway.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

DMAX LS, 4x4, AT:

2016: 1.480M

2017: 1.570M

The 2015 is listed at 1.537. How could it be more than the 2016? I'm guessing that listing is a mistake.

So like you said the difference in price between the "new" old one and the new one is not that big. Maybe the 2016 will drop another 100k in January or February.

I see your point but don't you think the dealer keeps the 2015 indoors or in a covered area and does regular maintenance? 

Anyway, I think you might be right about the 2016 rather than 2015. Probably hard to find a 2015 "new" one anyway.

The 2015 might be the price if financed, no cash discount. Like I said, the 2015 is going to the guy in the worst possible position who will be preyed upon because he will be in the same position wherever he goes.  

Stored in a covered area? :hystery: Maybe they will start them once a month and drive them 100 meters pumping the brakes so the rotors don't develop too thick a skin of rust and the pistons in the rear wheel brake cylinders don't freeze up. There is no money to be made in servicing a vehicle you haven't sold yet.

Gas
Posted
Posted
On 10/31/2016 at 0:18 PM, johnbarley said:

Look at the Mazda CX-5 for example:

PRO version

1.5M 2016, new:

http://www.mazda.ph/vehicle-pricing/

1.2M 2015, used:

http://www.carmudi.com.ph/2015-mazda-cx-5-401493-35.html

970K 2014, used:

http://www.carmudi.com.ph/2014-mazda-cx-5-399724-35.html

BASIC version:

1.350M 2016, new:

http://www.mazda.ph/vehicle-pricing/

870k 2015, used:

http://www.carmudi.com.ph/2015-mazda-cx-5-392797-35.html

This guy put a lot of miles on his. Maybe that explains the big drop.

Anyway, you're looking at about 20% decrease in value per year.

If you are worried about resale prices , my advice would be to stay away from Mazda's.  The may look good, but in my experience they are one of the fastest depreciating models in the Philippines. 

If you are looking for a car/suv with a good resale value i would go for a Toyota, Isuzu or Honda.  

• Like 2