EU trade agreement

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Scotland did not get a vote on staying in the EU. It was a British vote

Is Scotland not a part of Britain?  Surely they had the same say as every other British citizen, didn't they?

DavidK
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is Scotland not a part of Britain?  Surely they had the same say as every other British citizen, didn't they?

It is, they did but "Scotland" as a political entity did not.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, DavidK said:

Don't worry about religion, they've now invented a new one for the non-religious, it's called "Man-Made Climate Change". Both deserve all the disrespect they can get.

EU referendum: Scotland backs Remain as UK votes Leave - BBC News, look it up.

The new religion, well they got to believe in something :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

6 hours ago, DavidK said:

It is, they did but "Scotland" as a political entity did not.

Sorry DavidK

I can't agree with you on both counts......respectfully JB

EU referendum: Scotland backs Remain as UK votes Leave - BBC News

Edited by Kuya John

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think the issue in Scotland is more about the goings on during our Independence vote and what has happened with Brexit. One key point getting thrown around was if Scotland became independent they would be kicked out of the EU. Figures were banded around about how much the EU was worth to Scotland and the UK as a whole. The SNP highlighted they will attempt to stay within the EU as the country of Scotland. The Prime Minister at the time assured the people of Scotland the only way to remain in the EU was by staying within the UK. The loss to the economy made a major part in changing votes against Independence.

Roll forward to after the vote and suddenly Scotland is getting dragged out of the EU against the will of the majority. At the time is was called a once in a lifetime vote by the First Minister unless there were major issues that affected the people of Scotland. Getting dragged out of the EU must be pretty major as that's what Scotland was told during the Independence vote.

Nailing my colours to the mast I wanted Independence for Scotland and also out of the EU. I'm very happy to be leaving the EU. The arguments the UK used to leave the EU are the same arguments I would use for Independence. Currently if every Scottish MP votes against Westminster's wishes it only takes a minority of the MPs in Westminster to vote against us and we lose on numbers. The same MPs were crying that there powers were useless in the EU Parliament for the same reasons. Not so nice when the shoe is on the other foot for them I suppose.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Roll forward to after the vote and suddenly Scotland is getting dragged out of the EU against the will of the majority

It seems Scotland needs to wake up and face reality.  To an outsider it looks like the individual Scot has a lot more to say about British politics than they ever would have any say in EU politics.  Going alone and independent is a fine thing, but jumping off the back of one animal (GBR) to climb aboard the back of a bigger animal (EU) is not independence.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It seems Scotland needs to wake up and face reality.  To an outsider it looks like the individual Scot has a lot more to say about British politics than they ever would have any say in EU politics.  Going alone and independent is a fine thing, but jumping off the back of one animal (GBR) to climb aboard the back of a bigger animal (EU) is not independence.

As someone with contacts among Government departments it's all about who is lubricating the economy the most as opposed to Independence. Currently Scotland gets hung out to dry financially by Westminster. Pound for pound Scotland gets a greater share of money for projects from the EU than it does from Westminster. As for a say in British Politics sadly we have little say due to the Conservative majority and Labour in Scotland opposing everything the SNP come up with just to score political points. There's 650 MPs in Westminster and only 54 of those are SNP. We can vote against everything and never win.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Oh Dear! [Sigh] now, we have to go to UK politics  lets please G & G's, lets remember where we are and what we left behind.

Sorry Boss Bu........................t:shades:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Oh Dear! [Sigh] now, we have to go to UK politics  lets please G & G's, lets remember where we are and what we left behind.

Jack, it is in the world events column and remarkably true to topic to boot! We are the ones off topic. EEK!

I hope Britain gets a trade treaty worked out with the EU before any more countries exit and make the job more complicated.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sadly the EU Referendum and UK politics does affect people retired in the Philippines. The day before BREXIT the pound got me 69 php. Today it's 59.48 php. It also affected the Dollar. Luckily for those from that side of the pond it was beneficial. Over the next five years I'll benefit out of the weak pound as it affects my forces pension. A weak pound and higher inflation means my pension accrual increases faster. I was fortunate enough to get my peso before it hit me.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Sadly the EU Referendum and UK politics does affect people retired in the Philippines.

How right you are but only the money can be of Concern. If you are truly Retired to the PI there is little you can to do but "Lay on Bed we have made"

The whole point of my Post is that this may turn out to be political and there are few ( I Suspect, if the truth be known) that are really that interested beyond Are we leaving or not? (We can't even Blame anyone but the banks for exchange rates)

The Eu is a Catalogue  of Disasters for over 20 years and Blame has been shifting at every turn from this Party that Party. It is what is happening today   that is important and then we may see a Tomorrow, For me, When I decided to make this my Home I divorced myself from needing much from the UK  (Pensions of course come in) [They are Earned not a gift] I am not a Political person in the main and some Topics I now don't bother with as I just don't like this Mud Slinging that is prevalent on some other Countries Up coming elections. The UK took the Vote and it is as it is, we are coming out (They say) Britain has been here before and overcome and it will again. No end of Political Arguments are going to change that. the people have spoken. Now it is time to tighten out belts for a while

My meaning was that do we need a Political Issue on this? The Politicians are not making this happen The People spoke, now lets just get on with it.

It is as usual, all about Money and I had communication from Providers on Pensions and it Stays (on Inflation rises) 3 % Minimum & 5 % maximum so if we get to 6 % then we S...t Out  a while longer. 

Of course I am interested in what happens in the UK ( I am a Brit) but not really Interested in the Political Angle as it will serve no purpose.

Jack:huh:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 2