US Alert for Southern Cebu

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

I trust you are not referring to me my friend :thumbsup:

Nope, I only quoted you because I used your quote as inspiration :thumbsup:, wasn't meant to be directed at any one person in particular. Mostly had fellow Americans (friends, acquaintances, even strangers) in mind who feel the need to tell those thinking about coming to the Philippines how dangerous blah blah blah it is because they heard it on the news. Several members have mentioned they have dealt with such silliness. 

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

My wife comes from Alcoy, about 10 minutes from Dalaguete. I've never felt anything but safe in that region. That being said she always talks about "rebels in the hills". There are bad people everywhere I suppose. 

I also found the language of the communication interesting. "Terrorist groups are planning to conduct kidnappings." This makes it sound like an army conducting training exercises.

The Southern Cebu area is a tourist area, popular for beaches and diving. My guess is that there is more danger getting hammered and drowning at Tingko Beach than there is from terrorist kidnappings.

And of course the cynic in me says that this is the State Department's way of tweaking Duterte. That being said if something does happen to a foreigner are we all going to go in panic mode?

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bows00 said:

Now how does this affect Dumaguete?  Too bad, already bought my tickets.  I'm going.  

They will take the aircon bus south to Lilo-an (they're rich from the kidnappings), where they will no doubt blend in and then commandeer a fast ferry to Sibulan. Unfortunately from Sibulan to Dumaguete they will get caught in traffic and gunned down.

You heard it here first :smile:

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Queeny, if they were actually monitored, I would suspect there was a big lizard involved somewhere because they don't know when they arrived and they couldn't tell you where they are now. Maybe the monitor lizard knows but he isn't telling.:smile:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Queeny, if they were actually monitored, I would suspect there was a big lizard involved somewhere because they don't know when they arrived and they couldn't tell you where they are now. Maybe the monitor lizard knows but he isn't telling.

I figured this was a great idea, until I found it had already been done :-(

monitor-camera_20131009-174951_1.jpg

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, look at the bright side. As for those afraid to travel due to vague fears... The less full the plane, the better chance at a free upgrade! I have been trying recently without success so far at 'availing' the upgrade promo by PAL using my miles. Sure, they send me emails asking me to 'make an offer', with a heavy hint at about $1100 USD for the upgrade, but so far, 'Out Of Stock Sir, try again in a few days' for me using my miles.

I have gotten free upgrades before. There seems to be a hierarchy they follow. As I always buy ($80 now) the seat row for emergency or bulkheads, and if the plane is full but open business class seats available, PAL will offer a free upgrade to those frequent flyers who have already paid for the extra room seat, then sell that seat again, which is easier than selling the more expensive business class seat.     

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/4/2016 at 8:28 AM, scott h said:

Another way of looking at this is that it is another shot across the bow from the Americans. The majority of Americans (present company excepted) are so risk adverse, that if they see a warning like this, they will avoid the Philippines completely.

Or in other words, "You want to make our folks get visas? We will just tell them not to go there!"

I know, I know, I am probably wrong, but I like to look for meanings behind the meanings :crack-up:

This could keep people away from Sinulog this year..

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2016/11/05/cebu-reacts-us-travel-advisory-507625

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

So there were a whole 6 of them and they left two days later. Apparently even terrorists need vacations at Tingko Beach.:hystery: