ATM short change

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Has anyone ever been short changed from a ATM in the Philippines? 

Today I took out P10.000, did not count it and went to jollibee. Bought something and later at home I find P3000 missing from my wallet. I used a 1000 note in jollibee to get change so had change plus a bit of other and only 6000 peso left.

No one was with me so no one stole it so could the ATM not give me the correct money or an l losing the plot?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have had the money slot on the ATM close faster than I could get the money out and had to call the guard to help get my cash out.  Could you have left some in there when the slot closed|?

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have had the money slot on the ATM close faster than I could get the money out and had to call the guard to help get my cash out.  Could you have left some in there when the slot closed|?

i dont think so but I guess I will never know now :SugarwareZ-034:

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Today I took out P10.000, did not count it and went to jollibee. Bought something and later at home I find P3000 missing from my wallet. I used a 1000 note in jollibee to get change so had change plus a bit of other and only 6000 peso left.

No one was with me so no one stole it so could the ATM not give me the correct money or an l losing the plot?

Hasn't happened to me, knowing it can happen I am fanatical about always counting it right there before I move from the machine no matter how many people are in line. That way I have proof if there is a mistake as the entire transaction and my count are on the ATM camera.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

Hasn't happened to me, knowing it can happen I am fanatical about always counting it right there before I move from the machine no matter how many people are in line. That way I have proof if there is a mistake as the entire transaction and my count are on the ATM camera.

Yes I guess lesson learned but not sure if a ATM can stuff up like that. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

That way I have proof

Well actually THEY have proof, if they care to find it.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

ATMs, no.  But fraudulent money exchanger clerks - yes.  I was ripped off by a Filipino guy who short me $500P during an exchange ($200 US).  From then, I always count my money in front of the clerk. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nope, but twice in the States, so I suppose it could happen here also.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

ATM's are not perfect. It is unusual but can happen. If you go back to the branch (or the office of appropriate bank if it's an offsite ATM) and complain (helps if you kept your receipt) then they should do a count of how much is in the machine vis-a-vis how much has been withdrawn. Of course this being the Philippines they might be a little reluctant and no help if the ATM rather generously handed your missing to the person who came before/after.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, DavidK said:

if the ATM rather generously handed your missing to the person who came before/after.

That would be me!