Motorcycle repairs

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Think tubeless tires and carrying a plug kit! If you get a lot of flats, buying those tubeless rims will seem to be a good buy when you are able to plug the flat yourself and then air up and go! 5-10 minutes down time if you carry a good pump.  

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've had this idea for some time so all interested - tell me what you think. We all get flats due to the junk tires they sell here. So here's my idea. Get someone to use thin, flat metal sheet and form it into the shape of the inside of the motorcycle tires. Smooth the edges and insert into each tire. Then the inertube. Fill with air and ya have a steel belted tire of sorts that will not get a flat. Am I stupid or would this work? To me it seems like a very simple fix to a constant problem using a motor or like me a motor trike

399334_178576325620046_1780684728_n.jpg

Edited by Nephi
Add Photo
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

I've had this idea for some time so all interested - tell me what you think. We all get flats due to the junk tires they sell here. So here's my idea. Get someone to use thin, flat metal sheet and form it into the shape of the inside of the motorcycle tires. Smooth the edges and insert into each tire. Then the inertube. Fill with air and ya have a steel belted tire of sorts that will not get a flat. Am I stupid or would this work? To me it seems like a very simple fix to a constant problem using a motor or like me a motor trike

399334_178576325620046_1780684728_n.jpg

I can sympathize, unfortunately I think the metal would need some very specific properties like resisting becoming work hardened from so much flexing. Maybe something like D2 stainless would work. Then that would have to be a precisely fitted to the tire as if it moved at all it would rub a hole in the tube in short order. The only workable solution I can think of would be the honeycomb design airless wheels as a solid wheel would beat you severely. A series of neodymium magnets that could be affixed to a bar to sweep your path would probably cost more than the trike. Some problems are just not cost effective to solve.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I can sympathize, unfortunately I think the metal would need some very specific properties like resisting becoming work hardened from so much flexing. Maybe something like D2 stainless would work. Then that would have to be a precisely fitted to the tire as if it moved at all it would rub a hole in the tube in short order. The only workable solution I can think of would be the honeycomb design airless wheels as a solid wheel would beat you severely. A series of neodymium magnets that could be affixed to a bar to sweep your path would probably cost more than the trike. Some problems are just not cost effective to solve.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Yea, I was afraid the fix might be worse than the problem. Those airless tires haven't made it over here yet that I've seen. That would be a good deal and quickly put these vulcanizing places outa business. I guess for now I'll have to invest in a set of Dunlop or Firestone tires. We as a family use this trike for everyting from market to semi-long distance travel. No fun getting stuck somewhere at night for sure.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

You can buy resins that you inject via the tyre valve which seals leaks. This can be injected before you get a puncture and if you get one it seal it instantly. Different resins can be injected after the puncture and this will also seal it. It's pretty good stuff if you ride your motorcycle around town just make sure you inspect your tyres regularly as you might not realise you have a hole in your tyre. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-repairs-and-sealants.html

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

You can buy resins that you inject via the tyre valve which seals leaks. This can be injected before you get a puncture and if you get one it seal it instantly. Different resins can be injected after the puncture and this will also seal it. It's pretty good stuff if you ride your motorcycle around town just make sure you inspect your tyres regularly as you might not realise you have a hole in your tyre. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-repairs-and-sealants.html

Thanks for that link. I'll have to look for that Fix-a-Flat in the store. It's sometimes those slow leakes that cause problems so as long as I can get to a repair place it would help.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Slime super duty. 

robert k
Posted
Posted

Someone needs to develop a closed cell foam that can be injected into the wheels that will remain pliable like is used in some sizzor or manlift tires. I have seen them with 50 nails in them and a 50mm gash so you can see the foam inside. I don't think balance would be too much problem at 60 kph or less on a trike.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Have sympathy Dave, have had 3 in the last few months here.

• Like 2