Motorcycle repairs

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Have sympathy Dave, have had 3 in the last few months here.

This comment surprises me, here it's mostly faulty tubes as local ones are seamed. I brought Thai tubes for some friends, seamless, problem solved, just forgot name but very popular in Thailand.

T

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, RBM said:

here it's mostly faulty tubes as local ones are seamed

Every flat I have had is the result of a nail or similar object picked up while driving on the shoulder.  I prefer to drive in the traffic stream and avoid the debris on the shoulder but the traffic here makes that suicidal much of the time.  The alternative is to buy tougher tires, like the new ones I bought.  I would have liked to buy even better tires but these will do for a while.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Maybe just a bad run of luck??? Previous 7 years only 1 or 2.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Maybe just a bad run of luck???

Possible.  But I'm not a big believer in luck.  Or I  should phrase that as:  I think we make our own luck.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:07 AM, Nephi said:

I've had this idea for some time so all interested - tell me what you think. We all get flats due to the junk tires they sell here. So here's my idea. Get someone to use thin, flat metal sheet and form it into the shape of the inside of the motorcycle tires. Smooth the edges and insert into each tire. Then the inertube. Fill with air and ya have a steel belted tire of sorts that will not get a flat. Am I stupid or would this work? To me it seems like a very simple fix to a constant problem using a motor or like me a motor trike

399334_178576325620046_1780684728_n.jpg

You are trying to reinvent the wheel. Several Kevlar type products available from bike to motorcycle size widths. RINO is one such name I remember. Flexible, comes in a roll, cut off what you need to fit your tire. Special order tubeless rims are available in many sizes. That + a plug kit and a 12v pump or foot pump seems to be the way to go. If you do not understand the 12v aspect, you buy an old fashion cigarette lighter (now called a power point) with a balck and red wire attached. Cheap. Install onto the battery with the end hanging outside the battery compartment. Can be used for a pump or cell phone charger... anything that is 12v and comes with a plug. Also plugs are available to convert to a USB port... research on ebay then look locally.  

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 11/7/2016 at 4:43 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Possible.  But I'm not a big believer in luck.  Or I  should phrase that as:  I think we make our own luck.

Probably more to do with running over sharp objects to be technical.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

If been riding here for almost 5 years - never a flat tire. Lucky perhaps. I do have those off-road, knobby tires on my bike. Extra thickness helps I guess.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

Extra thickness helps I guess.

giphy.gif

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2