Cebu schools

MartyC
Posted
Posted

Hello all , new guy here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I am planning on retiring to the Cebu City area next year and my biggest concern is finding the right school for my 11 year old Filipina stepdaughter . It will dictate where we will live there , hopefully a bit north/northeast of the city in Liloan or Consulation. I met my wife and daughter there in 2010 while deployed to Afghanistan and they have been with me here in the US for about 5 years acquiring US citizenship through Naturalization.My step daughter has forgotten nearly all of her native language so it's important we find a primarily English speaking private school . I looked at Cebu International School but it's quite expensive. $9,000 USD per year?! All answers or direction is greatly appreciated. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome Marty.

Here is the bottom line, in my opinion. Public school here is poor by our standards. General rule of thumb? You get what you pay for. The better the school, the more the tuition. This is one of those things where boots on the ground is a must. You and your wife really need to go to possible schools and check them out.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's a good strategy. First settle on the school. Then find suitable housing nearby.

If you don't mind the religious aspect, consider adding Catholic schools to your list. Some are very conservative. Others, like those managed by Maryknoll nuns, can be very liberal.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Cebu International School is a good school but silly expensive.

There are other good choices. Sacred Heart would be my choice we have friends children who have gone on to good University in US and Manila after attending.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well for me, it is what you want to do, private is expensive and having had our daughter at both I can say that Private is Not always better, the Problem now I have come across is this K12 issue. TM was at a Public Senior until Grade 11, then Changed to Private (Siliman) as they offered a course she wanted, after Hours, only this set me back some 50.000 peso a year. Now I discover that the Syllabus is exactly the same for Public and Private. The Extra course she needs is an additional 8.000 per year. So it really is a personal thing as I don't honestly think the Money it costs is warranted. All schools are Monitored by DepEd so for me it is just an unnecessary expenditure, Kids are like sponges they will soak up knowledge from whatever source and to me I think learning the local language whether it be Tagalog, Filipino or Visayan is best done in a Public school as the kids will blend better in my Opinion at a younger age, Older, say grades 9/10/11 They always sort themselves out. We Did Yes?

JMHO

• Like 2

MartyC
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your helpful feedback. It really is difficult to choose a school without being there . My wife thinks Sacred heart -Ateneo de Cebu in Mandaue may be a good place to start (thanks for the tip Old55 ) and she has an aunt and cousin nearby . I hear so much negative info about public schools but will see for ourselves once we get established there. Our daughter is a straight A 5th grader now  and I am still amazed at how  fast and far she has came from speaking very little English arriving here as a first grader to being in the top 5 students of all her subjects.  I am afraid public school there may be too much for her at first having forgotten nearly all of her native Cebuano language ,but I could be wrong. Thanks again

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, MartyC said:

I am afraid public school there may be too much for her at first having forgotten nearly all of her native Cebuano language ,but I could be wrong.

This reminds me of the French immersion schools in Canada.  The theory is, if you want your kid to really learn the language, really fast, then through him into a school where all they are allowed to speak is French.

This is not likely to work on your child as the other kids will likely see him as an opportunity to practice their English so he will be a star of sorts.  Could go to his head :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MartyC said:

Thank you all for your helpful feedback. It really is difficult to choose a school without being there . My wife thinks Sacred heart -Ateneo de Cebu in Mandaue may be a good place to start (thanks for the tip Old55 ) and she has an aunt and cousin nearby . I hear so much negative info about public schools but will see for ourselves once we get established there. Our daughter is a straight A 5th grader now  and I am still amazed at how  fast and far she has came from speaking very little English arriving here as a first grader to being in the top 5 students of all her subjects.  I am afraid public school there may be too much for her at first having forgotten nearly all of her native Cebuano language ,but I could be wrong. Thanks again

Marty, Liloan and Consolacion are closer to the city, so finding a private school there or attending the school in Mandaue should work out well. Kids are so flexible I'm sure in six months or less she'll speak fluent Cebuano. I've seen it here myself with kids her age. In our area further out in Cebu province, the public schools are very overcrowded, and sadly lacking. Some private schools are better, but would not be recommended for your child's needs.

Being that she is a smart fifth grader, and a good student, it would be worth it to find a good match for her. Your new life, and that of her mother and her will be an education in itself, so that too will be in your favor. You guys seem to be on the right track in your search. Best wishes on your future relocation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sacred Heart classes are taught using English.

• Like 3

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by johnbarley