High Price of Coffee

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you are not fussy, then 3 - in - 1 instant coffee is cheap, hot and wet.  However, over time I started to miss home brewed coffee and for a while now I have been splurging for the 10 oz plastic cans of Folgers coffee.

I got a price shock today when I got to the register of Robinson's Grocery Store in Dumaguete when the price came up as 568 pesos. That's almost US$ 12 for enough coffee to make about 10 pots (small size pots).

Folgers.jpeg

This is the item.  I took it to the customer service and told them I thought the price was outrageous as I used to pay about 360 pesos for the same thing up until today. They checked the computer and informed me I was wrong and this is the price.

So if you are very, very rich there is a plasti-can of Folgers on the shelf at downtown Dumaguete Robinson's with your name on it. Go get it!

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Do any markets their sell roasted coffee beans? At SM in Baguio I could buy a half kilo of locally grown and roasted beans for 112 pesos. So 10 oz would be maybe 130 pesos. You could get them as whole beans or have them grind them for you.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Do any markets their sell roasted coffee beans?

There are many options for coffee, depending on your taste an budget.  I like a local product called "Artisans" which is only 360 pesos for 500 gm and there are even cheaper options out there.  But its all according to taste and whether you are a coffee connoisseur or a coffee gulper.  For my first cup of coffee in the morning I am a connoisseur and then, after that, any old coffee will do.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

That's expensive for a 10 oz. can of Folgers coffee. Yesterday, I purchased a 3 pounds can of Yuban coffee from Costco for my mother-in-law and it was less that $10 including tax. My personal preference is Cafe La Llave at $4.99 regular price for a 10 oz. can.  Usually, I wait for it to go on sale (below $4.00) and then purchase 8 to 10 cans.

I have never liked Philippine coffee which is based on the Barako varietal. I heard there are new farms using both Arabica and Sumatra varietal. Hopefully the situation has improved, but I usually bring several cans for personal use during visits.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you are not fussy, then 3 - in - 1 instant coffee is cheap, hot and wet.  However, over time I started to miss home brewed coffee and for a while now I have been splurging for the 10 oz plastic cans of Folgers coffee.

I got a price shock today when I got to the register of Robinson's Grocery Store in Dumaguete when the price came up as 568 pesos. That's almost US$ 12 for enough coffee to make about 10 pots (small size pots).

Folgers.jpeg

This is the item.  I took it to the customer service and told them I thought the price was outrageous as I used to pay about 360 pesos for the same thing up until today. They checked the computer and informed me I was wrong and this is the price.

So if you are very, very rich there is a plasti-can of Folgers on the shelf at downtown Dumaguete Robinson's with your name on it. Go get it!

Yeah, that is too much.  That is about $1.20 per ounce!  The Folgers Columbian is usually a bit more than the Classic.  I bought 2 38.4 red tubs of Folgers Classic at Freeport Exchange here in Subic for about $18 each, which is about .46 per oz.  That is more than I like to pay, but my other places have not had it for a while.

In the middle of the ocean, in a BB Box, I have a 2 pack of 48 ounce Classic (total 96 oz) that cost $28.44, or .294 cents per oz.  Actually there is only 1 tub in the BB box because my sister claimed 2 would not fit :Mad:

I buy Yuban here at Royal when the price is not too high.  Usually that means about $6 for the 10 oz.  I like the Folgers better.

S&R sometimes has the huge tubs of Folgers.

Anybody bought a good drip coffer maker here?  I hate mine because you can't poor the coffee without dripping, no matter how hard you try.  Poorly engineered.  It is a Thompson that I bough at SM for around p2000.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody bought a good drip coffer maker here?  I hate mine because you can't poor the coffee without dripping, no matter how hard you try.  Poorly engineered.  It is a Thompson that I bough at SM for around p2000.

Sounds like yours 'drips' just fine. ;)

When I return to live in the Philippines I will bring a french press and a hand crank coffee grinder for making fresh coffee from beans. Both will work when there is a brown out to make great coffee.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Bo's and Starbucks have good coffee beans. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Yes, but that is for special treats only!

Royal often has Dunkin Donuts beans, which I used to get sometimes in the U.S.  They are also good, but the price at Royal is a joke.  I'm not sure if they sell beans at our local Dunkin.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

That's true Old55 and OMW,

I pick some up once in a while when I have some extra cash, but brewed coffee doesn't seem to have the same appeal for me here in the tropics. I used to drink brewed coffee, all the time back in the US. I brought some vintage plug-in electric coffee pots that work well, but for a quick cup twice a day I just buy the Nescafe Gold instant.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Coffee grown in the Philippines is as good as any and better than the vast majority. With Folgers you are doubtlessly paying import duty.

• Like 2