Philippine lawyers and the IBP

Bruce
Posted
Posted

QUESTION: Is this civil case or similar type civil case something that would stop a person from getting Exit Clearance? Or just criminal cases.... Something to think of for over staying issues and being unable to leave and re enter on the needed time frame.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JonPalawan said:

The investigating officer in one place says that I was driving, in another place that my vehicle was unattended. The latter is true

How is the accident your fault if you weren't there?

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

Frankly, I give up. I can only try to help based on what you describe and all I posted was based on what you were telling. At this point all I'm going to do is wish you good luck.

I'm very sorry that I mislead you, it was not intentional. Why would I do that? If I were a bit more thin-skinned I'd be offended that you think I'd intentionally mislead you, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, if you read my original posting you see that I'm not seeking advice on the case itself, but rather on just who's representing me, a law firm or an individual lawyer. I hired and paid a prestigious law firm to defend me, thinking that such a law firm behind me is more intimidating to my opponent than an individual lawyer. But now the law firm, and indirectly the court (all the notices from the court list the individual lawyer as my representative, and not the law firm), are telling me that I'm being represented by an individual lawyer.

• Like 1

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Bruce said:

Something to think of for over staying issues and being unable to leave and re enter on the needed time frame.

I have permanent visa, so that's not an issue.

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, JonPalawan said:

I'm very sorry that I mislead you, it was not intentional. Why would I do that? If I were a bit more thin-skinned I'd be offended that you think I'd intentionally mislead you, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, if you read my original posting you see that I'm not seeking advice on the case itself, but rather on just who's representing me, a law firm or an individual lawyer. I hired and paid a prestigious law firm to defend me, thinking that such a law firm behind me is more intimidating to my opponent than an individual lawyer. But now the law firm, and indirectly the court (all the notices from the court list the individual lawyer as my representative, and not the law firm), are telling me that I'm being represented by an individual lawyer.

My point exactly. Somehow you are reading something I have never said.

I never said you intentionally misled me. You can not quote a post where I said you intentionally misled me. Now then, what precisely do you have to be offended about?

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, robert k said:

Now then, what precisely do you have to be offended about?

For one, not reading my original post, which said "But, this isn't about the case, this is about my lawyer." Now please, move the slider at

• On

to the left.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, JonPalawan said:

For one, not reading my original post, which said "But, this isn't about the case, this is about my lawyer." Now please, move the slider at

• On

to the left.

I did read that part buried deep in the paragraph. I also gave a recommendation as to what one can do when lawyers don't work on your behalf. The rest was a bonus.:thumbsup: 

I wished you luck before and I am again going to wish you luck again.

I now recommend that you put me on ignore.:smile:

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Bruce said:

QUESTION: Is this civil case or similar type civil case something that would stop a person from getting Exit Clearance? Or just criminal cases.... Something to think of for over staying issues and being unable to leave and re enter on the needed time frame.

I am not sure but I would not buy a return ticket to LA until this or anything similar was cleared up.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JonPalawan said:

Now please, move the slider at

• On

to the left

13 hours ago, robert k said:

I now recommend that you put me on ignore.:smile:

Moderator hat on:

You are both equally entitled to post non-rule-breaking replies and putting each other on ignore means you will not see the very good quality posts that each of you make.  Perhaps this time one or both of you feel like an argument.  If it is the 5 minute argument then it is over now!  If it is the hour long argument then you must take it to private message.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Jon, I don't have direct experience with Filipino lawyers but my sister in law got hosed by one who was working with the other persons attorney and the Judge for $$$. A foreigner (ex husband) was involved the prize was a home. Long story..... bottom line somehow be very sure the lawyer has a history of honestly. 

Wish you the best on this frustrating problem please keep us posted how it goes. Don't let it consume you.