Living on a pension

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Now many of us have private pension and the lucky few have final salary pensions too, and not let us forget our state pension.

So add these together and could life be good in the Phil's, I am sure that some will say they can't live the good life where they are on that amount

I know we are all different in what we would like and what we demand too, but if you have a budget and in your eyes it's good well life can indeed be good,

Again I have been sitting here and adding this and that up and on paper it does look good and at the end of the day I may not even make it to retirement day never mind working out a 20 year plan.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I may not even make it to retirement day never mind working out a 20 year plan.

Hmm 20 year plan, you be dead and gone if the 20 year plan starts now. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

After several trips to the Philippines, I have concluded that money will not be the problem.  Things are cheap there, especially when living outside of major cities (i.e., Manila, Cebu). 

But there are other factors that are preventing my move there - like infrastructure and air pollution.  Currently weighing the pros and cons and leaning towards staying in Hawaii for now and visiting the Philippines for extended periods.   

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Now many of us have private pension and the lucky few have final salary pensions too, and not let us forget our state pension.

So add these together and could life be good in the Phil's, I am sure that some will say they can't live the good life where they are on that amount

I know we are all different in what we would like and what we demand too, but if you have a budget and in your eyes it's good well life can indeed be good,

Again I have been sitting here and adding this and that up and on paper it does look good and at the end of the day I may not even make it to retirement day never mind working out a 20 year plan.

Luckily both I and the wife have UK Gov pensions and I have a small private monthly pension and another yearly pension

and the wife has her GSIS pension.

may sound a lot but overall depending on the UK exchange rate we manage. our monthly utilities are around 5000php for 2 homes

ours and the late mothers lighting around the home

the wifes medicines being a diabetic are around 2500php food and cold drinks and general shopping 25-30,000 which includes food for the sister and we have a new car .

we put money away for misc expenses such as ACR renewal and annual taxes etc and we often eat out in Maxs and the wife buys most of the fresh meat and fish from the market.

and overall we save around 15-25.000 a month if the wife does not want any more building work !

we dont pay rent as we built our home after we arrived in 2011.

when we first came here we did work out a budget but that flew out the window!

we do however keep a daily record of our spending and I keep a spreadsheet to compare monthly spending

but thats just me

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

20 years remaining is a good starting point. The US Census has actuarial tables on how long you can expect to live after the age of 65 years. Women live longer. My wife's mother is 95 years and healthy. She has an aunt in Japan who is 105 and needs a walker. Otherwise, the aunt is also healthy. So I added 10 years to my wife's life expectancy to make sure there was enough. Now I can relax and enjoy life except for a countdown clock in my head reminding me how much time remains.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hmm 20 year plan, you be dead and gone if the 20 year plan starts now. :thumbsup:

Well maybe then again maybe not, in my mind i will be in my early fifties, but my body may say different

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Luckily both I and the wife have UK Gov pensions and I have a small private monthly pension and another yearly pension

and the wife has her GSIS pension.

may sound a lot but overall depending on the UK exchange rate we manage. our monthly utilities are around 5000php for 2 homes

ours and the late mothers lighting around the home

the wifes medicines being a diabetic are around 2500php food and cold drinks and general shopping 25-30,000 which includes food for the sister and we have a new car .

we put money away for misc expenses such as ACR renewal and annual taxes etc and we often eat out in Maxs and the wife buys most of the fresh meat and fish from the market.

and overall we save around 15-25.000 a month if the wife does not want any more building work !

we dont pay rent as we built our home after we arrived in 2011.

when we first came here we did work out a budget but that flew out the window!

we do however keep a daily record of our spending and I keep a spreadsheet to compare monthly spending

but thats just me

My biggest problem is Emma will not have any state pension, but she will have a private pension from her works but she will not be able to take that until she reaches 60 i am thinking, so thats a very long time.

So i have to take into account bot our lives on what we may have coming in.

Plus i lost half my private pension to a evil ex, but hey i have a better life

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

My biggest problem is Emma will not have any state pension, but she will have a private pension from her works but she will not be able to take that until she reaches 60 i am thinking, so thats a very long time.

So i have to take into account bot our lives on what we may have coming in.

Plus i lost half my private pension to a evil ex, but hey i have a better life

I think you should check on the private pension. The government said anybody can take their private pension at age 55.

• Like 2

• Old55 locked this topic