Living on a pension

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bob1965 said:

Ain't that the truth. But it is a tough call. If it was just how much is enough ...we'll even that isn't easy to decide. That's why I've been scouring the forums. Ultimately it's a trade off. Time really enjoying life vs security. I think what's causing me a concern is I know I'll be ok at 55 if I retire then.

I retired at age 54 with no regrets. Some of my co-workers died before they retired. You said "time enjoying life vs security" but you can have both if your pensions are secure. 

Indexed pensions will almost keep up to inflation. My private pension goes up 1.7% next year and I don't know yet what the CPP increase will be.

Edited by jpbago
more info (or slow thinking)
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

The decision would be SO MUCH EASIER if we just knew how long we had to live. :hystery:

Some guys seem to have that figured out.  Live well, spend all the money, and when it runs out just jump off a bridge, or the 3rd floor of SM Mall. :Caught:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, mogo51 said:

But he does not seem by his photo to be a 'spring chicken'?  I thought he was in his 50's?  

Remind me to change my picture:huh:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

This has got me thinking again about what we have in cash and what we may have later.

If retiring early that means no state pension until i reach 66, and thats a long time 8 years time infact, yes i can get my private pension but again thats not much at all.

So i have to plan what savings i have what rent i may have coming in and what i can draw from my private pensions.

So if i have to budget just like everyone on here in some sort of way, we could live quite well, so what happens once my state pension kicks in, well we are rich and what they hell do we do with all this extra money coming in in 8 years time.

We have enough right now, but my head is saying its not the right time just yet , plus the wife is too, and really thats all that matters

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, stevewool said:

so what happens once my state pension kicks in, well we are rich and what they hell do we do with all this extra money coming in in 8 years time.

Give it to me! :hystery:

Steve, only you and your wife EM can decide in the end. Yes we can share our own circumstances but we are all different with different needs and expectation's.

My own circumstances, is not about living in Philippines on my pension, but health issues now and as I get older.

At 58 I was reasonably fit and would of enjoyed these last 12 years living there, but there was all the "What if's".

So if your reasonably fit and so is Em's go for it, you have your house to come back too. Just my two cent's :tiphat:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If your wife ain't ready to retire and you want to stay married then we will see you in 2027 :hystery:

I bet you it will be sooner then that date

• Like 1

• Old55 locked this topic