Philippines Airlines 2016 Domestic Report

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We recently went from Bacolod to Cebu return with PAL. Both the airline and the passengers were well organized as we left 30 minutes early and arrived 30 minutes early, both ways. There were no gate changes. Scheduled flight time was 45m but once wheels up, they said arrival in 28m. Barely enough time to scoff down a cinnamon bun.

They don't issue eTickets, passport only is needed for check in but security wants to see a ticket. They send a 4 page confirmation by email but you need to print only 1 page.

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, jpbago said:

We recently went from Bacolod to Cebu return with PAL. Both the airline and the passengers were well organized as we left 30 minutes early and arrived 30 minutes early, both ways. There were no gate changes. Scheduled flight time was 45m but once wheels up, they said arrival in 28m. Barely enough time to scoff down a cinnamon bun.

They don't issue eTickets, passport only is needed for check in but security wants to see a ticket. They send a 4 page confirmation by email but you need to print only 1 page.

What you fail to recognize is that by ignoring the posted departure schedule, people may have missed the flight.

What happens is that LATE flights are tracked and logged as such and count against the ON TIME record for that flight and for the airline. A late flight causes delays for the remainder of the day as that plane is late for all later flights that day. This is maybe why you took off early and they flew faster, trying to play catch up with no regard to those who booked a flight to depart for a specific time. In Manila or Cebu this might not be too bad if there is a later flight, but for a more less traveled airport, that flight might be the only flight for the day. You want to pay for taxi and hotel? PAL won't.  

Taking off early only benefits the airline. No consideration for the human inconvenience if those who miss that flight. You are only happy because you were on the flight! :smile: But next time.......

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Bruce said:

What you fail to recognize is that by ignoring the posted departure schedule, people may have missed the flight.

Maybe the passenger list or numbers were correct allow them to go.

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe the passenger list or numbers were correct allow them to go.

Possible, but flying 30 min. early means shutting the door even earlier. Spending time in an airport, you usually hear FINAL BOARDING messages several times as there may be late shows. I was booked to fly from Tacloban to Cebu in 2015, 12:30 flight, and arrived 11:30 and the plane was already gone! No one cared, the staff turned their ID badges around to hide their names and of course, no compensation. AND I had online checked in....    

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I was booked to fly from Tacloban to Cebu in 2015, 12:30 flight, and arrived 11:30 and the plane was already gone! No one cared, the staff turned their ID badges around to hide their names

if you used your real name when booking the flight I can understand why they took off early :hystery:

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

if you used your real name when booking the flight I can understand why they took off early :hystery:

Something wrong with the name Phineas J. Farnsworth, IV ?

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

PAL (Philippine Air Lines) morphed into "Plane Always Late."  The company tried a PR and advertising campaign claiming, "Prompt At Last." This was met with hysterical laughter. The solution was to drop the PAL acronym by changing the name to Philippine Airlines. 

To improve their on time record, the pilots at one time were instructed to depart from the San Francisco airport 15 to 20 minutes early. There were threats of lawsuits and demands for compensation from passengers left behind. The practice stopped, but I guess the situation is different in the Philippines because you can't sue or demand for compensation.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

PAL, once in the air, provides way better service than most US airlines (i.e., United, Delta).  Aside from the slight delays, my flight from Hawaii was quite pleasant.  They sure do feed you a lot, three meals, including a menu with options.  I have no complaints.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Tried to book reservations with EVA Air and Cathay Pacific to the Philippines. Couldn't get the dates and time of arrival/departure to work. Reluctantly decided on Philippine Airlines even after several personal bad experiences and similar stories from other passengers.

The latest story is from a first cousin. The flight was full and they had to make a refueling stop in Honolulu. The aircraft blew a tire on landing. This was in the middle of the night. Crew informed passengers that it will take one hour to fix the problem so the plane was parked in the middle of the tarmac (Philippine Airlines would have to pay huge landing fees if they were to use a gate). It took eight hours to change the tire and refuel the aircraft a second time. The auxiliary power unit (APU) for the air condition had consumed lots of gasoline.

I remain hopeful our flights to and from the Philippines will be okay.

• Like 3