Age of Consent Laws?

Bruce
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

When i was first involved with the Philippines and seeing all the very pretty younger ladies,i did get carried away and that was just on line , so all i can add to this is what would you do if some older person was sniffing around your daughter or maybe your grand daughter , it dont sound right does it, just a thought

Well, actually.... Lets try not to impose 1st world standards on others. All the drama today about age can be tracked back to George Bush's meddling in things that have had far reaching repercussions. A quick example is that in order to pad statistical data about abuse of girls, ANY marriage anywhere in the world, that involves a girl under 18, is today, classified as abuse. No matter how strongly the girl might say she wanted to get married, her opinions do not count due to her being under 18. A catch 22 situation that only benefits those who are using the statistical data for fund raising reasons.

Whenever I am in the US and 'age' questions arise, I simply defer to Thailand. I am in the Philippines, not Thailand. You have the countries mixed up! Next question.  

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Bruce said:

ANY marriage anywhere in the world, that involves a girl under 18, is today, classified as abuse.

I don't feel like looking it up right now but it used to be legal to marry a girl under 18, in Canada, provided the groom was also under 18.  May have changed, but your statement is too all encompassing for any of us to check the law in every country.  One thing most of us know is that the law for non-Muslim foreigners in Philippines says 18 is legal.  Muslims can marry at 16, in Philippines, and its not regarded as abuse.  Research Freddy Aguilar for confirmation.

• Like 4

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Newtlug

Make sure you bring soap on a rope as if you meet this young Pilipina's you will need it in the clink because you certainly won't want to bend over to pick the soap up in the showers!

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Newtlug asked a legitimate question. We should not speculate as to his intentions. This forum's role is to provide, hopefully, accurate information. If Newtlug violates Philippine and international laws, he will suffer the consequences.

The Age of Consent in the Philippines is 12 years. It is one of the lowest if not the lowest in the world. The United Nations and global child protection organizations are pressuring Philippine lawmakers to change it. Doubtful especially under the current administration. The previous marriage age was 14 years with parental consent. Under pressure from the United States (threats of withdrawing military and civilian aid programs), the legislature increased it to 18 years. An exception was given to Muslims. Freddy Aguilar was already living with his girlfriend. He wanted to get married. Her parents consented, but Aguilar would have been arrested except he converted to Islam prior to the marriage.

The above does not apply if money is involved. Any Filipina who looks to be under 18 years when seen alone with a foreigner is suspect. The police assumes the worse and the foreigner is burdened with the proof, not the other way around. That may include jail time until the matter is settled. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The Age of Consent in the Philippines is 12 years.

Can you provide a current and legitimate link to that law please.  I know of people in jail for being alone with under 18's who would love to believe it.

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

underage sex is a big no no here and its likely you will end up

like a lot of the drug dealers here with a sign around your neck saying child abuser !

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Can you provide a current and legitimate link to that law please.  I know of people in jail for being alone with under 18's who would love to believe it.

I can't find the exact Philippine law without spending a lot of time researching. My recollection is it is sort of stated in the negative as in, "No one under the age of 12 years can give consent." The laws can get very complicated. For example, each state sets the minimum age. This is usually 16 or 18 years. The exemption is if both parties are below the age of 18 years. Two young teens giving mutual consent won't be arrested.

If you are an adult US citizen or legal resident, you can be charged under US federal law for acts committed overseas. There could be a treaty agreement between the United States and Philippines allowing application of US federal law. Being incarcerated in the Philippines is more severe because the jails are horrific.

Try google using the key words, "Philippines Age of Consent"

The bottom line advise for Americans, "Don't even think about it with anyone below the age of 18 years in the Philippines." There is also the "bolo" to consider. A father, brothers, nephews, etc. might go after you with a machete. An American may have to contend with vigilante groups. Note Jake's comment. Remember that some Filipinos extend their protective instincts beyond immediate family members.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Newtlug asked a legitimate question. We should not speculate as to his intentions. This forum's role is to provide, hopefully, accurate information. If Newtlug violates Philippine and international laws, he will suffer the consequences.

The police assumes the worse and the foreigner is burdened with the proof, not the other way around. That may include jail time until the matter is settled. 

Despite what the written law is you are guilty until proven innocent. Or until you can buy you're way out of it.

And you will, not may, do some time in jail. Currently the courts are so backlogged that it could be several years before a "trial" is concluded. 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic