Yamaha NMAX 155 cc bike/ Any comments?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Thinking of selling what I have now on Samar and buying the Yamaha NMAX 155. Same style as my US ride, a Suzuki 400 Burgman, but smaller engine. Current price here is 114,000p. Anyone have one? Hear anything about them?  

See http://www.yamaha-motor.com.ph/product/nmax/nmax.html

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

The Nmax specs are impressive compared to the automatic scooters in it's class. It's price is impressive compared to the (in the Philippines price) Honda PCX 150 which is it's closest competitor. From watching videos on youtube it appears to have better passing ability than the average scooter, every little bit helps. The weight is only 20 kg heavier than an aircooled scooter while the Honda PCX is heavier. Brakes are where the Honda seems to have the real advantage. The Nmax has ABS which is going to pulse the brake lever when you stop, Honda has the combi-brake. The Nmax is no Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (sadly discontinued) but looks like a good offering in the segment.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

The Nmax specs are impressive compared to the automatic scooters in it's class. SNIP

The Nmax has ABS which is going to pulse the brake lever when you stop, Honda has the combi-brake. The Nmax is no Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (sadly discontinued) but looks like a good offering in the segment.

I was under the impression that ABS only pulses under extreme / hard braking situations (same on a car; when you slam on the brakes you can feel the peddle vibrating). Does the NMAX's brake lever always pulse? 

Even if it does pulse a bit I still view the ABS system as an advantage, especially on wet roads. 

@Bruce >>> Will they let you test ride it? Looks like a nice ride. The only problem I have with the scooter type bikes I've tried (Kawi, Suzi and Honda) is that the seats tend to pitch forward. I seem to constantly have to move back a bit and my pants ride up into my crotch - not very comfy. 

Bruce
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I was under the impression that ABS only pulses under extreme / hard braking situations (same on a car; when you slam on the brakes you can feel the peddle vibrating). Does the NMAX's brake lever always pulse?

Even if it does pulse a bit I still view the ABS system as an advantage, especially on wet roads.

@Bruce >>> Will they let you test ride it? Looks like a nice ride. The only problem I have with the scooter type bikes I've tried (Kawi, Suzi and Honda) is that the seats tend to pitch forward. I seem to constantly have to move back a bit and my pants ride up into my crotch - not very comfy.

The pants and crotch issue is a major problem with the bike I have now. No rest rides allowed. The Suzuki Burgman 400 I have in the US has ABS and there is no pulse under normal braking. Also has a backrest which makes long rides much more comfortable. But this NMAX has a different seat and no backrest accessory. Out here on hilly Samar, I average 35 to 45 MPH and occasionally 50 on stretch. As compared to 70+ in the US. So I am not looking for speed here, just comfort and not having to shift gears.

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

ABS works fine on roads that are swept by high speed traffic. The only person I know in the Philippines with an expensive motorcycle with ABS turns it off because he says it's trying to kill him.

Are you experienced with ABS on a motorcycle on paved roads with a layer of dust on them? Cars are a different story. There is a reason my friends expensive motorcycle allows you to turn off ABS. 

I would expect the ABS on the Burgman which retails for about 3 times as much as an Nmax and weighs almost 1/3 more to be more refined.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, robert k said:

The NMAX is $2300 here, no add on taxes or dealer fees to this price. The Burgman in the US is just under $8,000, + tax and any dealer add ons you can't get out of. As for ABS and sand roads, never thought about it. The roads here are mostly OK with some sand in corners if that corner is not subject to rain wash.

I have had multiple issues without ABS as coming to a stop, almost stopped and the front brake 'grabs' due to less road friction. Not an issue on dry roads. Slides for 1 foot or so until I release the handle.

robert k
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Bruce said:

The NMAX is $2300 here, no add on taxes or dealer fees to this price. The Burgman in the US is just under $8,000, + tax and any dealer add ons you can't get out of. As for ABS and sand roads, never thought about it. The roads here are mostly OK with some sand in corners if that corner is not subject to rain wash.

I have had multiple issues without ABS as coming to a stop, almost stopped and the front brake 'grabs' due to less road friction. Not an issue on dry roads. Slides for 1 foot or so until I release the handle.

ABS works wonders on roads where relatively high speed traffic "sweeps" the road.