VA Clinic Guam

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Hi Vets,

I'm doing some health care homework before relocating to the PI.  Here in the U.S. I get VA care because I don't make a lot of money so I'm non-service connected.  I already understand that going to the Manila clinic is a no-go, but how about flying to Guam and using the VA clinic there once a year to see a doctor just to be sure that all is good?  I've been calling the VA here for days and no one knows the answer or even what office to call to get the answer so I'm asking you.  Also, I have a C-PAP machine.  Can I find filters, hoses, etc. in the PI?  Are they expensive?   And I take a Synthroid pill once a day.  Would this prescription be hard to fill there?  expensive?  Alright then, thank you for listening to this and helping me out.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you were to share the exact prescription someone could check. Although we respect that is your personal medical information.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Shoestring said:

but how about flying to Guam

Good question Shoe. That is one option. Here is the only challenge that I see. Here in the Phil I use Tri care standard. I basically pay the first 25% of any fees and am reimbursed for the rest. Exact details can be found on their web site. If a person uses the VA I believe, but am not positive, you need to be in Tri care standard. There is a 30 day waiting period for the standard program.

For example, if we want to visit the states and use Tri care while there, 30 days in advance we have to reenroll in tri care prime then reenroll for the standard program before leaving.

I love Guam and we visit frequently, but my first thought is that you would eat up any savings for medical treatment on airfare and hotel bills. Unless there are serious ongoing medical needs you will probably be surprised at the low price of medical care here.

• Like 4

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Old55 and scott h, thank you for responding.  Because the VA has been very good to me, I am a healthy old man.  I feel weird knowing that I won't have them helping me with my health, so I am trying to make sense of what the options are there.  It's been years since I've spent any money for healthcare or meds so I'm reluctant to let them go.  Here, I can got to any VA hospital, any VA ER, for anything, without insurance, and get taken care of, for free.  Is this not the way the VA is run in the PI or Guam?  They operate differently there?  Old55, right now I take 0.1 mg of Levothyroxine every day.  It's the only med I take.  If it was inexpensive, that would be one less thing to think about.  Thanks again for being kind.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

Is this not the way the VA is run in the PI or Guam?

I am going to go way out on a limb here, Guam is part of the USA so I will assume that the VA in Guam operates just like the VA does in remote areas in the USA where there is no VA hospital close.

I suppose I should have asked first, are you military retired, and qualify for Tri care? If so IMHO your best bet is Tri care standard. If not? Whelp, its the cost of doing business when moving to the Phil.

I suggest you do a cost/benefit analysis and google average flight cost from where you plan to live here and Guam. That will give you an idea if moving here is in your best health interests :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

scott h,

Yesterday, I looked at a RT flight from Manila-Guam on kayak.com.  It was around $350.  I don't know what a hotel in Guam would cost though.  Would $350 in the PI cover a check up and lab work in the PI?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shoestring said:

Would $350 in the PI cover a check up and lab work in the PI?

For you, me, our wives and several relatives lololol, just kidding :hystery:

I just asked my wife, her last blood test and diabetic check up at Asian Hospital (one of the better hospitals here in Manila) was about 330 bucks USD. That might just give you an idea.

• Like 2

Shoestring
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My research is about 5 years old, but at the time, Guam residents on Medicare were referred to Honolulu hospitals for more complex medical requirements. 

The Philippines along with then Governor of Guam, who was of Filipino ancestry, lobbied the Department of Health & Human Services to permit local doctors to refer patients to Philippine hospitals. Similar to Tri-Care, these hospitals had to be certified by Medicare and agree to a reimbursement schedule for services. This is for Guam residents only. 

For certain Pacific Islanders, there is an agreement to provide free medical services. The annual budget is $30 million and it is administered by the US Navy.  Unfortunately, the annual cost was over $100 million and Honolulu hospitals wanted the US Congress to pay for the additional costs. What happened is the US Navy started using Philippines because costs are lower. 

Example of a recipient group are natives of the Marshall Islands. About one third of the population have died from radiation poisoning. We had used Bikini Atoll for nuclear bomb testing. Second, third and fourth generations are still suffering from the effects of radiation.

Anyway, quality medical care is available in the Philippines. The average hospitals are lower in standard, but he elite (for the affluent) hospitals like Asian, Makati, St. Luke, Medical City, etc. are just as good if not better than medical facilities in the United States.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2016 at 8:35 AM, Shoestring said:

Would $350 in the PI cover a check up and lab work in the PI?

Don't know if there are extra specific things you need or are just talking about a general physical. A general doctor's visit should be in the p600 range and blood work no more than p1,200. So a decent guesstimate you are talking about $40 or so for a checkup.