Wood borers

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Termites here are a problem I do a weekly check around the 3 homes and 2 Bayo Kubos looking for the tell tale long brown tunnels they make and crawl through. we have a guy who sprays any signs of the little darlings he uses a home made mixture with a back pack sprayer.

Other problem we have is Ants ! they get everywhere ! so its sets of air Tight Containers for everything such a biscuits-sugar-cakes

espec my Doughnuts ! we have two fridges one for everyday use and one for my cold drinks and sweets and cakes etc etc !

Its all part of living in the Philippines !

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

There are around 3 kind of common termites that we have previous experienced. Some bore, some fly, particularly the buk buk prone to eating bamboo.

Have used every type of poison in the past and had limited results only. Solignum was good for about 4 months. Understand placing a piece of GI on post foundations does wonders against Ani  (sorry if misspell as SO out) anyway the termite that leaves a train behind  it. 

Place we built here has no timber in it at all except doors, no termites....so far.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Place we built here has no timber in it at all except doors, no termites

Another story:  A place I rented on Biliran had a solid wood core back door with triple locks on it.  I felt quite safe in the house or out once those doors were locked.  But unknown to me, those "termites that leave a trail behind" were at work in the woodwork.  Just before moving out I gave the door a harder push than normal to get it to open and the dang thing just fell off its hinges.  All the woodwork around the hinges in the door frame had been methodically eaten away until one day it just fell apart.

The only way I know to deal with those "real" termites is to call an exterminator but thankfully, the bugs I find most common are the "bukbuk" or "bokbok" whatever you want to call them and those are the ones that leave the piles of sawdust and are easily killed with baygon and probably other chemicals.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

If they left a visible entrance hole I would say you could probably kill them by spraying Co2 in the hole. If you could build a tent of plastic film and fill it with Co2 it might work. Leave a small hole at the top to let air out and a piece of tape over the hole when you think there is nothing but Co2 in the tent. No Co2? Motorcycle exhaust would probably work.

I had a bad bumblebee infestation under a building I owned so I ran some metal conduit from my car exhaust to a vent hole in the foundation and let the car idle for half an hour. No more bumblebees, spiders, mice or anything after that. If that didn't work I was going to pour some bleach under there followed by some muriatic acid and take a weeks vacation.

I once blew up a board that was hollowed out by carpenter bees by filling it full of butane and striking it with a lighter.

I thought this was going to be a different subject matter. I was already thinking hole saws, paddle bits and forstner bits.

• Like 1