Comparison Driving Cebu vs Davao

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Hey Everyone, I've been living in Cebu almost 2 years now. And we're thinking of moving to Davao. One of the main reasons (so I've heard) is that Davao city has more civilized drivers. Here in Cebu you are constantly getting swarmed by motorcycles, trucks and busses right up to your rear bumper every second of the way. Insane  crazy  careless drivers like I've never seen before. I need to take 2 xanax Everytime I drive here. (No joke) Absolutely NO Considerate drivers at all here. You want to change lanes?  hahahaha they won't let you!!! Scum bag drivers here who not only don't care about your life bet could care less about their own life. minibuses with black smoke pouring out coming within an inch of the side of your car. It's absolutely reckless!!! And the few traffic agents could care less. So,  we are going to Davao probably next week. I'm bringing my car heard we need to get off the barge in Cagayan De Oro and drive to Davao city so I can see first hand the driving situation there. So, I'd like to know anyone experience with driving in Davao and Cebu? Just a little heads up before we go. Also, I know I will lose the convenience of having a US consulate, as I now do here in Cebu. Thanks all ..

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Duterte some years ago changed the traffic flow to the opposite side of the road like in Australia we drive on the left and our cars have the steering wheel on the right side of the car. Apparently Duterte wanted to do away with what he said was the American system. It will take you a bit of getting used to but you will be fine eventually. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, anthonytt said:

Hey Everyone, I've been living in Cebu almost 2 years now. And we're thinking of moving to Davao. One of the main reasons (so I've heard) is that Davao city has more civilized drivers. Here in Cebu you are constantly getting swarmed by motorcycles, trucks and busses right up to your rear bumper every second of the way. Insane  crazy  careless drivers like I've never seen before. I need to take 2 xanax Everytime I drive here. (No joke) Absolutely NO Considerate drivers at all here. You want to change lanes?  hahahaha they won't let you!!! Scum bag drivers here who not only don't care about your life bet could care less about their own life. minibuses with black smoke pouring out coming within an inch of the side of your car. It's absolutely reckless!!! And the few traffic agents could care less. So,  we are going to Davao probably next week. I'm bringing my car heard we need to get off the barge in Cagayan De Oro and drive to Davao city so I can see first hand the driving situation there. So, I'd like to know anyone experience with driving in Davao and Cebu? Just a little heads up before we go. Also, I know I will lose the convenience of having a US consulate, as I now do here in Cebu. Thanks all ..

You need a ugly car. All sharp edges. Smear some goat blood on it periodically in strategic places. That will get you a little room anyway.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Perhaps you shouldn't drive. It maybe inconvenient and costly but your BP and anger levels would be lower if you had a driver.

Edited by Old55
Spelling errors
  • Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Perhaps you shouldn't drive. It maybe inconvenient and costly but your BP and anger levels would be lower if you had a driver.

Perhaps an armed Philippines Marine driver?  This would be my dilemma as well.  Give up my freedom to drive anywhere, anytime.....or stay behind the wheel to die early from stress.  If you're still driving, when does one turn into a psycho like the rest of them?  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

So, you'er saying..... go anywhere tactical tracked vehicle with Master Chief at the helm? Now that sounds like a plan.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

I am  sympathetic to your situation as also lived in Cebu, rode drove there. Now limited to once a month, how ever do a lot of driving. It's as bad as you say or worse.

Personally I find Davao  easy in comparison.  It also gets clogged up especially rush hour but nothing comparable to Cebu, also far less smoke belcher's.  Recently during  a visit we even had some cars stopping to allow us to cross road. Never had this in Cebu.

I have never lived in Davao but ridden there extensively perhaps member living in Davao could offer much more in site. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

I am  sympathetic to your situation as also lived in Cebu, rode drove there. Now limited to once a month, how ever do a lot of driving. It's as bad as you say or worse.

Personally I find Davao  easy in comparison.  It also gets clogged up especially rush hour but nothing comparable to Cebu, also far less smoke belcher's.  Recently during  a visit we even had some cars stopping to allow us to cross road. Never had this in Cebu.

I have never lived in Davao but ridden there extensively perhaps member living in Davao could offer much more in site. 

I would freak out if someone stopped to let me cross the road. I mean...it's got to be some kind of trap!

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted

Yes, less traffic in Davao and easier to drive there. In the city of cebu you don't  have trikes (motorized or peddle power), but they're abundant in Davao - so you need to get used to driving in close proximity to them; especially the slow moving pedd-a-cabs (spelling?). 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anthony, are there other reasons for considering Davao?  Driving should not be the only consideration.

As I have told before, we toured Cebu and Davao in late 2012 before selecting Subic to settle, and a big consideration for me was the driving.  On that trip, I didn't drive, but the traffic in Cebu was terrible, especially trying to get over to Mactan in a taxi.  I don't remember the traffic in Davao being too bad, but we did not get very far around.

I love to drive and do road trips, and that was one reason I ruled out Davao.  I am not confident you could could venture very far from Davao without getting into areas that might put you and your family in danger.  Are you sure that the drive from CDO to Davao City is safe?  I have no idea but I just want to make sure you know if it is.  Here in Luzon I can take "safe" road trips any time without worrying about some of the dangers that exist in Southern Mindinao.

Subic Bay Freeport Zone is a "traffic discipline zone", with some scrupulous enforcement of traffic laws.  I have been stopped 3 times over the past few years, all minor but legit stops, and they me go all 3 times after verifying I was a resident.  Non-residents would get a ticket and I don't think they accept "tips" on a regular basis.

Yes, many drivers including me will stop for peds in a crosswalk, but I do it carefully so that some idiot will not rear end me.  The driving within the freeport is very nice with some annoyances, but mostly minor.  Outside the gates in Olongapo, the driving is more "creative" but really not too bad after I got used to it.

One of my pet peeves here in the freeport are idiots who stop on the high speed main thoroughfare, to let cross traffic go across.  There is no stop sign or traffic light, but they stop all of the sudden in the middle of the road, causing a high risk for accidents.  This is a 5 lane 70 kph road and stopping like that is not polite, it is stupid.

• Like 2